Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (MRR)

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Eastern suburbs group training rides: Maling Room Ride (MRR)

Postby roshea » Mon 15 Jan 2007, 10:56 pm

UPDATED 10/02/2016

This post will be kept updated as a summary of the current ride details.

Summary of the summary :?
Every weekday ~ 6 am, corner of Canterbury Rd and Avenue Athol. 27 km ride finishing ~7:00 for coffee at The Maling Room, corner of Maling Rd and Canterbury Rd.

Details
This group ride (the "Maling Room Ride" - MRR) has been running since January 2007. The ride starts each weekday (check last page of this thread for daily updates!) at ~6:00 am, at the park on the corner of Canterbury Rd and Avenue Athol, Canterbury. We ride East out Canterbury Rd and take in some of the rolling hills of the Eastern suburbs before returning to Canterbury (see route map linked below). The ride is around 27 km and finishes ~7:00 for coffee at The Maling Room, corner of Maling Rd and Canterbury Rd.

Re-group stops
In order for slower riders to catch up after the more significant hills, we re-group at a couple of places:
1) Doncaster Road - opposite the Doncaster Library, in the slip lane outside the shops.
2) Belmore Road - in the slip lane outside the shops (before Coles).
Please WAIT at these places if you get to the top first!

Groups
On Tuesdays and Thursdays there are multiple groups on this ride, separated by their speed (slower groups leave earlier). This enables riders of all abilities to join this ride without feeling like they are holding anyone up! The naming of the different groups evolved over the course of a few months and might mean nothing to newcomers!

- "Mouse" group departs from Avenue Athol at 5:55 am and averages ~25 - 28 km/hour.

- "Rabbit" group departs from Avenue Athol at 6:00 am and averages ~28 - 32 km/hour.

- "Greyhound" group departs from Avenue Athol at 6:05 am and averages ~32 - 35 km/hour. In recent times, this group has dwindled in size and doesn't always run.

If you find that you are struggling to keep up and you don't want to be left by yourself, please make sure you let someone know, since it is not always easy for riders in the group to keep track of everyone behind them.

People wanting to join these groups should check the forum the night before the ride to make sure that others are planning to attend, since these groups don't always exist!

There are Recovery rides on Wednesdays and Fridays, starting 6:00 am at the same start point. These rides are done at a pace that is (hopefully!) comfortable for everyone in the group and tend to average around 27 km/h. These rides re-group in a couple of places (at the top of hills) to make sure things generally stay together.

On Mondays there is normally a smaller group and the average pace depends on who is riding and how hard their weekend was!

There is parking in side streets off Canterbury Rd or in front of the shops opposite the corner of Gwenda Ave. You can also park in Maling Rd (only timed after 8 am) but we have been asked not to park in front of the fruit shop since they get early morning deliveries.

Etiquette
A few points related to group riding, and this ride in general.
    - Obey ALL road rules.
    - Call and signal clearly to indicate hazards and changing traffic lights.
    - We always aim to look after other riders. Try to keep track of who is in the ride and check behind when it's safe, to be sure nobody is being left behind.
    - Try to keep to the listed speed for your group and stop at the re-group points.
    - If you're joining the ride somewhere along the route, it's safest to wait for the group to pass you and then join at the back.

If you're new to group riding, please check out these other general discussions on the etiquette and safety of group riding:
https://www.bwa.org.au/bikes-and-riding/312/
http://www.skcc.com.au/rules-and-etiquette/
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/features/ ... ride-rules

Bikely profile:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/BV-Eastern-Suburbs-Version-3

Route map:

Elevation plot:

Segments on Strava:
(although there are others)
Whole MRR (loop from Balwyn Rd)
Canterbury - Surrey Park
Deadmen Rising (Middleborough Rd)
Whitehorse Rd: Middleborough Rd - Springvale Rd
Whitehorse Rd: Springvale Rd - Mitcham Rd
Mitcham Rd
Doncaster Rd: Mitcham Rd - Wetherby Rd
Whip-Up Westfield
Elgar KOV
Belmore Rd KOM
Col de Belmore
Belmore Rd KOV
Fly-By Fintona

------------------------------------

Original message:

Do any of you have any information about group training rides in Melbourne's Eastern suburbs? In particular I am looking for rides on weekday mornings that are a bit closer to home than the North Road Ride.

If there is nothing around already, do we have enough interested people here to get something going 1-3 days per week? Obviously all interested parties don't get out there for every ride, so having a few takers is important or there will often be solo rides! If we go down this path, a route (or a few routes) is the next thing to get sorted out - any favourites? Canterbury Rd seems to be well travelled by cyclists "off peak" and could be a start (eg to Boronia Rd, Mountain Hwy, 1/20 and return). I am not normally out and about before 7 am, so I am not sure which other roads are popular. LeTour cycles lists a <a href="http://www.letour.com.au/Bike%20Ride.htm">friendly weekend ride</a> on their web site but I don't know what route this takes and whether it would be OK for weekend mornings.

So - anyone up for this or able to help with info or planning?
Last edited by roshea on Thu 12 Mar 2009, 5:16 pm, edited 36 times in total.

Tomace

Postby Tomace » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 8:48 am

On Wednesday mornings I do a ride with a fairly small bunch where we meet at the top of Kew Boulevard at 6:00am and do two laps (we normally finish around about 6:50 or thereabouts). It's a bit shorter than NRR, but I find it quite challenging.

I would be keen to find another regular weekday ride that starts a bit closer to me - as much as I love the NRR, it takes me about half an hour to get to the start, and it's a very lonely half hour.

There's a new cafe/delicatessen that has opened up on Burke Rd called "Tom's", which does really good coffee, and I reckon it'd be an excellent place to end a morning ride (although I'm not 100% certain what time it opens in the morning). My vote is to meet on Burke road, ride along Cantebury road and then at some point turn around and finish back on Burke Rd at Tom's.
Halfway between the gutter and the cars.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 9:31 am

I'd be keen to join you Tomace, but I just *HATE* riding on Kew Boulie these days with that surface.

I'm such a snob...
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

Dave S

Postby Dave S » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 11:28 am

Hi all,

Been lurking here for a Looooooooooong time. Seems like I know you all well enough - but you dont know me!

I live near Burke and Toorak roads and would love to ride with some others. Have only ridden Cantebury road to the 1:20 and back on the weekends so am not sure how early the traffic really picks up in the am during the week.

I agree with para on the Boulie - did a few laps there again on Sunday and the surface really is not the most comfortable to ride on! (I also ride it a couple of times a week on my commute home)

Anyways - glad to finally be chiming in.

Cheers,
Dave

Tomace

Postby Tomace » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 11:43 am

Well met Dave S! Welcome to the forums.

I also do Kew Boulie on Friday mornings (although it's a bit more of a social ride), so I think twice a week is plenty for me (otherwise I might end up being a snob like Parawolf...). Therefore, if this were going to be a weekly thing, I would be keen on either Monday, Tuesday or Thursday morning.

Also, I think that this thread should perhaps be in the 'Plan a Ride' forum, but I'll let the moderators decide that.

KennethC

Postby KennethC » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:17 pm

I actually have a route mapped out on Bikely that I will try someday, but as roshea would know, due to my recent (and very frequent) afflictions I'd have to delay the plan.

Here's the <a href="http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Box-Hill-South-Lilydale-Box-Hill">map on Bikely</a>. It goes along Canterbury Road all the way to Lilydale and returns via Whitehorse Road - a total of about 51km.
I'm back, babeh.

Tim_mtb

Postby Tim_mtb » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:20 pm

I'd also be interested in some group rides out this way...gives me a chance to play with the new roadie :P

jmcleod

Postby jmcleod » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:25 pm

Great idea, roshea!

During October I was riding twice a week from Canterbury/Middleborough to the 1/20, then up over the mountain down to Montrose, taking Canterbury Rd all the way back to Middleborough. About 60km, 2 hours 15 mins. Once daylight savings started, it was still dark (leaving at 5am), so I gave it up.

I'm up for joining any ride, any morning. I'd suggest a 6am meeting to give us a decent hour of riding before the traffic starts getting heavy.

As for a route, it's probably best to try a number until a perfect mix is chosen. We're definitely in a hilly area, but I'm sure we can come up with a decent ride.

Box Hill -> Doncaster -> Kew -> Box Hill perhaps?

jmcleod

Postby jmcleod » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 12:35 pm

KennethC wrote:Here's the <a href="http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Box-Hill-South-Lilydale-Box-Hill">map on Bikely</a>. It goes along Canterbury Road all the way to Lilydale and returns via Whitehorse Road - a total of about 51km.

I like it! Plus, it can easily be shortened by only going out to Dorset Rd or Montrose, depending on how much time is available in the mornings.

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 1:05 pm

A Canterbury Rd loop of whatever length could be an option - there are enough rolling hills there to make it a reasonable workout.

Maybe what follows would make things too complicated, but it would add flexibility: there needn't be a single start or end - riders could join and leave where it suited them. If a single rd was used for the whole ride then each place is passed more than once on the route. For example, riders could start at the corner of Canterbury Rd and Burke Rd at 6 am, heading east. Others join at various points along the way (with times being known approximately once we get an idea of the speed). Turn around at an agreed spot after 15 - 20 km (e.g., Wantirna Rd, Heathmont, Bayswater Rd) and head back to Burke Rd. Turn around again at Burke Rd for those who are finishing further east.

Alternatively, start somewhere in the middle (on average, that should be closer for everyone!) heading either east or west (TBA) and turn around at Burke Rd and the agreed spot at the other end.

Unfortunately,either of these "loop" versions would not have a single coffee stop at the end, but at that time of day there are other things I need to do, and the ride itself could be sociable enough that a good chat afterwards was not needed!

Canterbury Rd profile at http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/Ca ... Rd-profile

Edit: you can click the elevation tab to see the hills.
Last edited by roshea on Tue 16 Jan 2007, 1:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Office use only.

weg

Postby weg » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 1:07 pm

I think one of the clubs has a regular ride leaving from Bikelife in Auburn Rd, Hawthorn, but I don't see it mentioned on Bikelife's site, and can't find it among the clubs. Maybe you would call Bikelife and ask.

jmcleod

Postby jmcleod » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 1:16 pm

I'd be happy to try the lap of Canterbury Rd. I'd probably ride into Camberwell to meet everyone at 6am, then out to Montrose, then jump off at Blackburn (before grabbing my backpack and heading down Canterbury Rd again to work).

I'm available tomorrow or Thursday this week, or Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday next week.

flyingdutch

Postby flyingdutch » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 3:03 pm

weg wrote:I think one of the clubs has a regular ride leaving from Bikelife in Auburn Rd, Hawthorn, but I don't see it mentioned on Bikelife's site, and can't find it among the clubs. Maybe you would call Bikelife and ask.

HCC do the 1/20 ride on Sunday mornings. 7:30am from BikeLife Auburn Rd as stated.
Fairly cruisy out to base of 1/20 then it's trying to post a PB up the 1/20.
Maybe stop for a coffee at Sassafras or over towards Montrose and back up 'The Wall' and then back to Sassafras for coffee. did I mention the coffee???
... riding...

Tomace

Postby Tomace » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 3:09 pm

I'm all about the coffee too. In fact, I never really used to drink coffee until I took up cycling, and now I think I'm addicted to it. :( This is why the first thing I suggested was a weekly coffee shop ride. The weekend is not ideal for me though, as that is normally when I do longer, more varied rides, so weekday mornings are the perfect time to do a more 'routine' ride.

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Tue 16 Jan 2007, 3:23 pm

Tomace wrote:I'm all about the coffee too. In fact, I never really used to drink coffee until I took up cycling, and now I think I'm addicted to it. :( This is why the first thing I suggested was a weekly coffee shop ride. The weekend is not ideal for me though, as that is normally when I do longer, more varied rides, so weekday mornings are the perfect time to do a more 'routine' ride.

No drama - that would take us back to your earlier suggestion of "Tom's" (as long as the coffee is superb!), with start-finish at Burke Rd.

Another option is to finish at the Maling Rd corner of Canterbury Rd. "The Mailing Room" is located there and is run by true coffee geeks (got a great <a href="http://tinyurl.com/ymjkzo">write-up in Epicure magazine</a> last November) - I could ask Andrew how he feels about a handful of sweaty lycra-clad individuals joining his morning rush.
Office use only.

Return to “Plan a ride”