Carrying all your gear on your bike

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
roadrunner

Carrying all your gear on your bike

Postby roadrunner » Sun 12 Nov 2006, 1:32 pm

Is any one else carrying all there gear on their bike ? have done this the last 3 GVbike rides , only a few , attempt this , but its great training for more independent touring

Jon Mortimer

Carry all your gear

Postby Jon Mortimer » Sun 12 Nov 2006, 9:51 pm

Seen it done, carrying all gear on the bike. I'm impressed. I am going to have trouble gettting in under the 20kg limit anyway. What do you take/not take to keep the weight down.

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Carrying all your gear on your bike

Postby Shaz » Sun 12 Nov 2006, 9:54 pm

roadrunner wrote:Is any one else carrying all there gear on their bike ? have done this the last 3 GVbike rides , only a few , attempt this , but its great training for more independent touring

Obviously he leaves his sanity at home!!!!
Roadrunner are you crazy?? I mean that in the nicest possible way. :D

Tim_mtb

Postby Tim_mtb » Sun 12 Nov 2006, 10:12 pm

sharon ritchie wrote:...I mean that in the nicest possible way. :D

Sure Shaz, sure... :D

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Sun 12 Nov 2006, 10:23 pm

Tim_mtb wrote:
sharon ritchie wrote:...I mean that in the nicest possible way. :D

Sure Shaz, sure... :D

I'm nice, in a nasty sort of way...... :evil:

libby_444

Postby libby_444 » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 12:08 am

Insane, stupid or very very fit! The only thing I add bag wise is a small one under my seat for a tube and levers.

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 8:48 am

hi ,it really is not difficult , 4 panniers and a handle bar bag , weight 18 kgms , this year I have a fantastic touring bike a Koga Miyata , am planning a longer tour next year.so this preperation , if you cannot survive asupported ride then you have problems .If my speed drops below 5k,s I get off and push , my observation after 3 GV rides ,is that too many make it a race. I genrally leave early and have finished my ride by 1 or 2 which gives me plently of time to explore on route and the camp destination, Yes I have Irish genes

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 8:58 am

roadrunner wrote: Yes I have Irish genes

Ahh, that makes sense then roadrunner, the 'old insane irish gene'.. :lol:

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 8:58 am

2006 Great Victorian Bike Ride or Touring packing Schedule – checklist
Pannier 1 rear
Tent – with extension annex and ground sheet
7 pegs - 3 chords (perimeter tent, annex tension, clothesline)
Small hammer
Tripod stool

Pannier 2 rear
Sleeping bag (3 season)
Air mattress (3/4 body)
3 inflatable pillows
PJ’s shorts and T- shirt (quick dry)
Central tent light with remote switch
1 head cover mosquito net

Pannier 3
Long pants
Shorts
2 T-shirts short sleeve (quick dry)
2 underpants (quick dry)
1 woollen long sleeve top
1 lightweight windcheater
1 headscarf
2 socks
Sandals
Beret
Sun hat – Italian raffia

Pannier 4
Riding gear change (padded shorts, riding top, socks)
Leg extensions
1 Speedo nylon bathers and towel
Loo paper
Collapsible eating tray (with fork, spoon, knife, towel and sponge scourer), drinking mug
First Aid kit
Toiletry kit (mirror, sunscreen - block out, deodorant, 6 dissolvable aspirin,
, tissues pack, insect repellent, tooth paste, tooth brush, tooth floss, mouth wash,
nail brush, nail cutters, body – hair shampoo, comb, razer, razer blades, reading head light

Handle bar bag
2 spare tubes,
Thermos
Tent light (remote switch)
Torch – back up batteries
Note book, pen, radio – clock (FM - AM), earphones, spare batteries torch and radio
Long Gloves
Light water proof wind top
Wet ones
G.V. ride route handbook

Riding Gear
helmet, sunglasses, riding top–yellow, padded bike shorts or walk shorts, socks, stiff soled shoes, riding mitts

Bum bag wallet, (money, one credit card, seniors card, trainers card, BV membership card) Swiss knife (bottle –can opener, scissors, tweezers, cutting blade, cork opener) 3 stamps and 3 envelopes, small writing pad
Lip balm, sun block, tissues, mobile phone, phone back up battery, pen, reading glasses, digital camera with back up battery and memory card

Bike
2 Water bottles
Basic repair kit, puncture kit, tyre levers, multi tool, lubricant pen, cleaning cloth, tyre pump

Weight 18 kgms includes paniers

lisanne
Volunteer Moderator

Postby lisanne » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 9:02 am

roadrunner wrote:if you cannot survive asupported ride then you have problems

If I were you, next time I would think twice before insulting and offsiding a vast majority of the forum.

Just because you are conditioned to this kind of riding and are wanting to treat this as a trial run for an unsupported ride, doesn't mean that everyone is out there with the same goal.

Everyone has their own reasons for doing the GVBR and along with that comes their own levels of skill and ability. Everyone should be congratulated for getting out there and giving it a go!

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 12:22 pm

dear lisanne , i was not advocating for partipants to carry their own, it is a fantastic event ,and its great that such a wide and diverse group take part , every one will have different reasons , motivations , handicaps etc .
I have enough of my own without wishing to broadcast them , you have taken my comments out of context , ihope you have a safe , and enjoyable ride cheers roadrunner

lisanne
Volunteer Moderator

Postby lisanne » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 3:41 pm

Sorry if I misunderstood you roadrunner - have a good GVBR! :D

TerryP

Postby TerryP » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 5:50 pm

Roadrunner, there is another point of yours that needs some discussion

roadrunner wrote: my observation after 3 GV rides ,is that too many make it a race.

I have also done 3 GVBR and 4 similar rides in other states. I have been one of the early arrivers each time but I have never seen riders racing each other. More the other way. It becomes quite lonely after the lunch break. The super fast riders have disappeared into the distance and the following rider is out of sight to the rear. In WA earlier this year I remember riding through the forest and saying to the bike "well here we are again, just you and me, same as always".

Occasionally I have seen a fast bunch develop, but that is not racing either. That is just a group of riders enjoying a fast pace and sharing the hard work between them. However, in my experience fast bunches tend not to form on these rides and that is probably a good thing. Safety is always the first consideration and when you are on a mass ride its better to ride solo or single file, at least until the field thins out.

Lisanne has put the point perfectly. Everyone has their own reason for attending and their own goals and expectations. We all want to survive the ride and have a good time. I respect everyone else's reason for being there and congratulate them for giving it a go.

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 6:05 pm

Roadrunner, which model is your Koga Miyata? Hubby has a 1984 Miyata 610 which he will be riding on the GVBR.

roadrunner

Postby roadrunner » Mon 13 Nov 2006, 8:32 pm

hi, my koga is a 2005 model, which have had now for just over 12 months, i was introduced to them whilst walking the Camino Santiago de Compestela , by a Dutch Police commissioner , when i returned to australia I made enquires and to cut along story short , I finished up by importing the bike through an UK agent.

Re a previous message , in general I have nothing but praise for the way the GV have been run and the people that paticipate in them , it is fantastic effort by so many, moving a small town -community every 24 hrs

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”