Giant Odyssey 2016

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
faster

Giant Odyssey 2016

Postby faster » Sun 07 Feb 2016, 7:56 pm

anyone done it ?
My only mtb is an old mid 90's full rigid DBR axis ti. It's in good nick and rides great but i'm cautious/nervous about using it for this ride in 2 weeks.
Tires are 26 x 2.10 and run at around 35psi.
Never done a mtb event before so i'd like your views on doing it on such a (rigid) bike.
thanx

Stealth

Re: Giant Odyssey 2016

Postby Stealth » Sun 07 Feb 2016, 9:49 pm

Yep, done it the past few years
Rigid shouldn't be a problem
It will probably be an advantage on the climb
A few sections on Follow the dog and Foxtail suspension helps, but you should be OK
I fogot to ask what distance are you doing?
Dyslexics Have More Nuf.

faster

Postby faster » Mon 08 Feb 2016, 8:33 am

Thanks that's a relief to know. I'm doing the 100

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 10:17 am

I've done 5 odyssey 100s mainly on a hard tail, unless you are very fit and have been training regularly on single track on the rigid and/or mtb generally .... sorry to give you some bad news but you'll be destroyed on a rigid. you'd be better off starting out on the 50k shorty.

ok I hear you say, 'I'm a tough guy I can endure 100 k - worst case I'll just roll along', however what that will mean is 8+ hours out on course riding in granny gear because your fitness, especially arms from absorbing all the impact are stuffed. no fun in that.

you have moto decent, red carpet ... again unless you're a hard core dude you'll roll along like granny, you have mariner's run this is all mid to high level single track, all doable on a short ride, but on a 100k another story.
__________flow................___________

faster

Postby faster » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 12:30 pm

Whoa
Thanks for the info. I'll have a think about it.

LovinDirt

Postby LovinDirt » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 1:13 pm

I haven't done the 100, but rather the 50 twice in different years.

I found that I didn't have the fitness to power to the front of the pack at the start. This meant that on every little rise I had less skilled people blocking the track forcing me to walk up rather than keeping my momentum and rolling through. (It's a bike race, but no-one would move over for someone still on a bike) Same went for every other little obstacle...

26er would be fine, but a rigid will beat you up over time.

On the day I'd be more inclined to take my sour grapes and head the opposite way to hit up Listy, as the Odyssey seems to attract the roadies that usually hang there and it should be quieter.
Stay dirty, my friends!

faster

Postby faster » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 4:28 pm

Thanx
I understand you think it's overcrowded and cramped which is good to know. thats something I prefer to do without as I've just got back on the mtb since the alpine classic. I'm over the poser thing atm and find myself thinking the roadies (which I'm usually one) look like wankers/amateur professionals.
Sooo,
if I can tackle a recommended trail at lysterfield ( I'm hoping someone can point out a trail to prepare for odyssey) I may still consider the odyssey ride.
I'm reasonably capable on the bike, punch a bag everyday, raced bmx years ago and weigh 80 - 82kgs. ridden lysterfield on the said Mtb within a 100km ride there and back, a long time ago but I'm not far from that fitness I had.
thanx for the info so far

lard

Postby lard » Wed 10 Feb 2016, 11:41 pm

Here's a standard 20k loop of Lysty (ignore the firetrail in/out)

https://www.strava.com/activities/450459227

Do 3 or 4 laps on the rigid and see how you feel. I'm pretty sure you'll think twice about 100k of the Oddesey.

faster

Postby faster » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 8:33 am

Thanks

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:01 am

If I recall the route is now a cloverleaf all around Forrest?

Last time I was at Forrest (which admittedly was quite a few years ago), I don't recall riding much that would be completely unridable on a rigid. Sure suspension would be nicer for some sections, but it wouldn't be a disaster.

I've ridden the Buller Epic trail on a rigid 2x10 and regularly ride all of the local trails (Lysty, Westerfolds, Yarra, Buxton) on a rigid singlespeed. You Yangs Stockyards is where I draw the line on riding rigid - I've done that once and didn't really enjoy it much.

The big question is if you think you're capable of doing it over 8 hours. It can be pretty brutal on your lower back and forearms, especially if you're not used to it and riding trails that you're unfamiliar with.

A couple of tips for riding rigid over long distances....
- Mountain biking is about keep your butt off the saddle and your arms loose. 10 millionty times more important when you're riding rigid.
- Get fat tyres (if they fit), run them tubeless and low pressure. Maxxis makes some great tyres in 2.2" or 2.35". Schwalbe also does 2.35" tyres. I run tyre pressures in the low 20 psi, but it can take some experimenting to find the right balance.
- Find the right combo of grips and gloves that suits you. While it might seem like a good idea, big chunky gel gloves aren't always the right idea - I find that they mess with my ability to get a good firm grip. My preference is for ESI chunky foam grips and 661 Raji gloves, which have almost no padding.
- A nice seatpost can help. For example Niner makes one that's designed to deal with trail buzz. Don't be stupid like me and run a Thomson Elite - stiff as a broomstick.
- If it's an option, modern hydro brakes can REALLY help later in the race(although this might be hard on an old frame). Your forearms will cop an absolute beating, which will compromise your ability to brake effectively later in the race if you have crap brakes.

And most importantly... smile.

Mountain bikers don't do that serious face that roadies like to do.
Reaching new levels of softness!

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:24 am

its all about the training and whether this bloke has done any on a rigid - he then has to consider race pace, 100k and over 2500+ climbing.

his training window is past he would have needed a good 12 weeks training with around 100k/1000 metres a week climbing on dirt.

sure he can ride for fun, no problem there.

mate entered 100k odyssey a few years back on his rigid 29er, 9.8kg chiner, he's pretty fit but not much trail time on rigid, he made it through but had 6 months of elbow pain to the point where he simply couldn't ride off road.

my main training bike is a rigid 29er 1x10, if I rode it in an event I'd have to back right off on descents and I don't like doing that.

snuffy, not too late to enter :-)
__________flow................___________

faster

Postby faster » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 9:42 pm

thanx for the info all. i certainly wouldn't enter this with a win it or bin it attitude. i'd like a time around 6 hours but i'll have a better gauge on Saturday as i'll give Lysterfield a crack on the route from the above post. if i struggle to do that 3x i'll end the current ambition. :D

lard

Postby lard » Thu 11 Feb 2016, 10:34 pm

faster wrote:thanx for the info all. i certainly wouldn't enter this with a win it or bin it attitude. i'd like a time around 6 hours but i'll have a better gauge on Saturday as i'll give Lysterfield a crack on the route from the above post. if i struggle to do that 3x i'll end the current ambition. :D

Just note that route skips the comm games hill climb and instead goes down the Aneurysm descent, if you haven't ridden it before, take it easy, there's a lot of berms, jumps and doubles.

faster

Postby faster » Fri 12 Feb 2016, 5:59 am

Thank you lard. It's certainly been a while since I've been airborne. Mmm

faster

Postby faster » Fri 12 Feb 2016, 7:23 am

Maybe I'll stick to the Commonwealth games track. I don't fancy jumping doubles.
Upon arriving at lysterfield is there only one gate/entrance to use?
Sorry it's been a while since I've been there

Return to “Plan a ride”