MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
bodie

MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Postby bodie » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 7:40 pm

As there seem to be quite a few of us into MTB as well as Road, I thought I would start a thread for general discusion and thoughts.
Might be good to include different rides people have done and some general ride stats. It's always good to hear of some nice single track one hasn't tried yet. :D
Last edited by bodie on Mon 23 Oct 2006, 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bodie

Postby bodie » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 7:44 pm

Kicking off: We had a good ride at Lysterfield on Sunday. Had my first real lash at the rock garden and managed to get a couple of the tight corners under my belt. Very much heart in the throat riding down there, but good wholesome fun. Following the Budinis lead I also incorporated the top of churchill peak?? in my two loops of the Comm.Games track. Adds an extra 25-30m vertical onto the loop. Also found some single track out the back which I hadn't ridden before.
Stats:
Distance: 34.12km
Ave.Speed: 16kph
Last edited by bodie on Mon 23 Oct 2006, 9:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

vwong

Postby vwong » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 7:46 pm

I love the switchback climb up to the trig point. It has to be the best part of the course!
Australian Defence Cycling
http://www.adcc.asn.au/

bodie

Postby bodie » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 7:48 pm

vwong wrote:I love the switchback climb up to the trig point. It has to be the best part of the course!

Yeah the 'trig point' you refer to is what I have called 'Churchill'. I'm not really sure what that peak is called.
It's a shame they closed the single track back down that side after you do the climb. It was a great way to get back down.

vwong

Postby vwong » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 8:00 pm

Yeah, I usually use the gravel road that leads off from the trig point to get back to the main gate. Fun downhill run. I nearly collided with someone on a silver 05 FSR 2 weeks ago on the Blair Witch trail (no. 8) who was heading in the opposite way.

The early morning runs (0600) I sometimes do are crazy. I usually don't see the kangaroos when I'm going down the single track; and to make matters worse, I think they're still asleep!

Tim_mtb

Postby Tim_mtb » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 8:39 pm

Great work getting those corners, Bodie. Sometime I'll have to go out there and try them :D .

My ride is generally around the Dandenongs - mostly on fire tracks. My ride yesterday:

Dist: 18.45 kms
Time: 1:26
Vertical distance climbed: 870m :D
Vertical distance decended: 870m :D :D :D

In a few weeks I might try the 'round trip' - every track I can find around the One Tree Hill area: that should bring the climbing up to over 1km :D .

bodie

Postby bodie » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 8:54 pm

Tim_mtb wrote:Great work getting those corners, Bodie. Sometime I'll have to go out there and try them :D .

My ride is generally around the Dandenongs - mostly on fire tracks. My ride yesterday:

Dist: 18.45 kms
Time: 1:26
Vertical distance climbed: 870m :D
Vertical distance decended: 870m :D :D :D

In a few weeks I might try the 'round trip' - every track I can find around the One Tree Hill area: that should bring the climbing up to over 1km :D .

Nice amount of vert in 18km. You must have been doing some serious climbing!

I think we may have to get you to lead a Dandenong ride one day Tim. I don't know my way around there at all, but would like to have a ride out there. :D

Tim_mtb

Postby Tim_mtb » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 9:12 pm

Bodie - I'd be happy to. There isn't much singletrack near me, however I will eventually start exploring into the Mt Dandenong area, which has more singletrack.

earl

Postby earl » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 9:42 pm

Okay, okay! You guys are just too good for me. I just cruise the single trails, ride the fire tracks and roll over some of the log-jumps.

But then again, wait and see what you can do at my age! :wink:
Life is too short to bother with idiots

Tim_mtb

Postby Tim_mtb » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 9:49 pm

earl wrote:Okay, okay! You guys are just too good for me. I just cruise the single trails, ride the fire tracks and roll over some of the log-jumps.

Sounds like a challenge Earl :twisted:

cileo

Postby cileo » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 9:50 pm

bodie wrote:Kicking off: We had a good ride at Lysterfield on Sunday. Had my first real lash at the rock garden and managed to get a couple of the tight corners under my belt.

Hrmmm, if you like Lysty, then consider coming out for the next MTB group working bee? Apparently the Blair Witch area needs some TLC & trail improvements. I was helping out on Saturday and it was kind of amazing the amount of cyclists who rolled past, most said thanks & acknowledged the work that was being done. Others didn't, but there's always a % who just don't get it.

vwong

Postby vwong » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 10:06 pm

Cileo,

I'd love to. I've noticed several massive trees which have fallen across the single track, that seem impossible to move without cutting with a chainsaw. Quite a task.

earl

Postby earl » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 10:12 pm

Tim_mtb wrote:
earl wrote:Okay, okay! You guys are just too good for me. I just cruise the single trails, ride the fire tracks and roll over some of the log-jumps.

Umm! Now let's see. How many years will it be before you're 57?
Life is too short to bother with idiots

Tim_mtb

Postby Tim_mtb » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 10:12 pm

earl wrote:
Tim_mtb wrote:

Umm! Now let's see. How many years will it be before you're 57?

Umm...only 39 :lol:

cileo

Postby cileo » Mon 23 Oct 2006, 10:13 pm

vwong wrote:Cileo,

I'd love to. I've noticed several massive trees which have fallen across the single track, that seem impossible to move without cutting with a chainsaw. Quite a task.

Simple, just join the yahoogroup and either lurk or throw your two bobs worth in. It's a pretty easy going group. Parks Vic have been excellent with giving the group a trailer, tools and materials, and afterwards they put on a BBQ! The rangers have also been advertising notices on the carpark boards, so just have a squiz next time you're out there if there's any news.

Also, don't forget to pick up the new Lysty/Forrest maps, think they're avaliable from most bike shops. :D

Return to “Cycling discussion”