Very green rider, SE Melb ride suggestions?

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
maggies_lens

Very green rider, SE Melb ride suggestions?

Postby maggies_lens » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:11 pm

Hi all!

My name's Maggie and after having not been on a bike since I was about 17 (I'm now 36, aaaaaancient LOL!) I have been lured back by my bike loving husband. I always had el-cheapo bikes from Target which, as I'm sure many of you can attest, were HORRIBLE to ride so I never really enjoyed it. Well, 15 minutes on my hubby's gorgeous road bike about 6 weeks ago and I was somewhat hooked. One week later I had my Tachyon GTW 2.0 in super stylish grey, and the ever present because it's for female's pink line *sigh*. So I have been doing a few rides, mostly on the East Link Trail and Peninsula Link ( we ride every weekend, and I practice at the Criterium at Casey Field in Cranbourne one night a week for the moment). I feel a lot more confident on sealed surfaces although I think with a different tyre I'd be ok on a bit of dirt, I took my bike on a little dirt and scared the holy hot cross buns out of myself so prefer not to do that again :D I was wondering, does anyone have any suggestions for nice tracks to ride on in and around SE Melbourne? Although I am happy to travel a little way to have some fun (need to get to Altona, I hear there's a really nice track there!). I'm relatively fit, but have a chronic old knee injury which means I honestly can not stand up on my pedals which makes hills very, very hard work even in lowest gears. At the moment I do about 20k's per ride but would be happy to increase that since I am sort of thinking I may like to do the BUPA round the bay 50k's this year. Bike loving husband is SUPER supportive and hyper excited I now join him in his passion, so no female-only organised rides for me :)
Conversely, does anyone know what the route is for the BUPA 50k's? I'd like to check it out and make sure I train properly for it so I don't hurt myself or anything silly like that. :)
Thanks, everyone ^_^

Summernight

Re: Very green rider, SE Melb ride suggestions?

Postby Summernight » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:23 pm

If the BUPA 50k route is the same as last year, it basically goes on road from Alexandra Gardens through Port Melbourne, crosses the West Gate at the road behind the service station (Todd Road) and then travels the roads through Williamstown/Altona to the beachfront and some park-thing in the middle of Altona is the stopping point/rest break. The way back is similar with a bit of a dog leg to add distance and then you go over the West Gate again in the other direction, back round Todd Rd and through Port Melbourne to Alexandra Gardens along Alexandra Avenue. My mum did it with basically no training (although there was definitely complaining!).

The West Gate was a surprisingly gentle incline (it was my first time riding it last year). I don't think my Mum hopped off to walk it, and she normally walks any hills that look steep.

So not really any hills, just a probability of an unpleasant head wind.

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:28 pm

From Summernight’s description, you could drop the dogleg & just use Footscray Rd in place of the Westgate bridge (as bikes are a no no over the bridge outside of the official BUPA event) and you would have the distance and route covered.
Not forget to stop at the best looking cafe on the route, as it just adds to the whole cycling experience (we all really just do it for the coffee & chocky éclairs).
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed 09 Apr 2014, 3:33 pm

I wouldn't necessarily ride Alexandra Avenue at any time except early morning (when the weekend cyclists ride it). I'm generally heading back that way in the car in the afternoons on Saturdays and Sundays and most times both directions are blocked up with cars (with events on at the MCG or the bubble stadium that is AAMI Park). When I'm heading out of the city early on Saturday and Sunday mornings along Alexandra Avenue it is a lot quieter, less cars and more bikes. :D

Return to “Women's Cycling”