Reporting traffic offences captured on HelmetCam?

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
nikolai

Reporting traffic offences captured on HelmetCam?

Postby nikolai » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 1:57 pm

G'day, like a lot of you, I've started riding with a helmet camera. Partially to protect myself legally, partially to film rides I do on weekends and stuff. Thankfully I haven't been involved in an accident since I've had the camera, but looking back through the footage I've realised I capture a LOT of drivers breaking various road laws. Everything from cars stopping in bike boxes & running red lights to downright dangerous driving/hooning which has nearly caused accidents and of-course the usual Taxi behavior. Interestingly I also capture a tonne of trams running red lights lately - anyone else notice that? Maybe they're allowed in certain circumstances?

Anyway, my question is; Is it worth reporting these misdemeanors to the police, and is there any kind of submission process vicpol has for this kind of thing?

I realise providing video could open myself up to prosecution too, but I'm fairly confident I ride safely and legally, so that's not really a worry.
Bananas in Bandanas.

Atomic Kitten

Re: Reporting traffic offences captured on HelmetCam?

Postby Atomic Kitten » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:31 pm

Youtube it.

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:34 pm

nikolai wrote:G'day, like a lot of you, I've started riding with a helmet camera. Partially to protect myself legally, partially to film rides I do on weekends and stuff. Thankfully I haven't been involved in an accident since I've had the camera, but looking back through the footage I've realised I capture a LOT of drivers breaking various road laws. Everything from cars stopping in bike boxes & running red lights to downright dangerous driving/hooning which has nearly caused accidents and of-course the usual Taxi behavior. Interestingly I also capture a tonne of trams running red lights lately - anyone else notice that? Maybe they're allowed in certain circumstances?

Anyway, my question is; Is it worth reporting these misdemeanors to the police, and is there any kind of submission process vicpol has for this kind of thing?

I realise providing video could open myself up to prosecution too, but I'm fairly confident I ride safely and legally, so that's not really a worry.

Hoon hotline and littering/smoky cars to epa anything else is likely to get a lukewarm response from your lps (local police station).
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:37 pm

I don't think the police would be particularly interested in private vehicles misbehaving unless it's a serious incident. By all means try it and let us know, but I get the impression that they have more than enough to do without following up each and every report.

The companies operating trams, taxis, trucks and buses probably WOULD be interested if their reputation or income is likely to be damaged by these incidents.
Office use only.

nikolai

Postby nikolai » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:40 pm

Actually just got me to thinking if Civic Compliance Victoria can issue a fine based on evidence provided by a member of the public? Probably not.
Bananas in Bandanas.

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:42 pm

nikolai wrote:Actually just got me to thinking if Civic Compliance Victoria can issue a fine based on evidence provided by a member of the public? Probably not.

CCV don't issue the fines, VicPol (and other agencies VicRoads/Councils etc. do). CCV just manage what happens after the offence occurs.

*Not really Frosty

nikolai

Postby nikolai » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:46 pm

PiledHigher wrote:
nikolai wrote:Actually just got me to thinking if Civic Compliance Victoria can issue a fine based on evidence provided by a member of the public? Probably not.

CCV don't issue the fines, VicPol (and other agencies VicRoads/Councils etc. do). CCV just manage what happens after the offence occurs.

Ah ok, I was under the impression CCV owned the camera's etc... I might call VicRoads and see what they say, no doubt they'll just refer me to the aforementioned hoon hotline.
Bananas in Bandanas.

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 2:51 pm

nikolai wrote:
PiledHigher wrote:

Ah ok, I was under the impression CCV owned the camera's etc... I might call VicRoads and see what they say, no doubt they'll just refer me to the aforementioned hoon hotline.

Serco run the cameras, and send data about potentially infringements to Traffic Camera Office who issue the tickets. CCV deal with the lifecycle after that.

VicRoads issues tickets in a similar way to patrol police, hand written tickets against a limited set of the road rules.

*Not really Frosty

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:06 pm

Atomic Kitten wrote:Youtube it.

I put a video up on youtube and also filled in a Crimestoppers online report form...the cops took their sweet time getting around to it, but they eventually did contact the owner of a car I videoed performing a burnout from a set of lights immediately in front of me. Turns out the owner was the drivers dad and he wasn't too happy about the possibility that his son's actions could have seen his car disappear for 30 days. Event has been noted and next report will see the car destroyed.
It just takes 1 idiot...

nikolai

Postby nikolai » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:13 pm

Weeeeeee wrote:Crimestoppers online report form...

Does the online form afford you the ability to submit a video as evidence to the report?
Bananas in Bandanas.

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:15 pm

nikolai wrote:
Weeeeeee wrote:Crimestoppers online report form...

Does the online form afford you the ability to submit a video as evidence to the report?

Seems that you can upload a file:

https://vic.crimestoppers.com.au/cs/hel ... report.jsp

Edit: actually that's only for photos (.jpg, < 2MB). Put it on youtube and then send a link with the report.
Office use only.

nikolai

Postby nikolai » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 3:19 pm

roshea wrote:Seems that you can upload a file

Ahh verily! I've no problem simply grabbing a still or two from the video footage to go along with a report, then as suggested simply linking to the rest of the footage on youtube.

Cheers people.
Bananas in Bandanas.

rearviewmirror

Postby rearviewmirror » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 4:23 pm

If drivers start filming cyclists doing illegal things how do they report us? ;)

I really like the idea of using a camera on my commute, I wish there was an image stabilized flavor that mounted on the bars and only recording in a loop for 30-60 (like a flight data recorder). This would be ideal.

What cameras are you lot using?
Question Everything! And ride your bike....

nikolai

Postby nikolai » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 7:37 pm

rearviewmirror wrote:If drivers start filming cyclists doing illegal things how do they report us? ;)

The laws of physics prevent that from concerning me.

Contour Roam. About 8 hours @ 1080p x 30fps, but I only run it at 720p. Cost me $250 from Michaels on Elizabeth street, but took a fsck-load of haggling between them and the other two camera shops on the street. More expensive models can do 60fps, gps, etc.

This is what it looks like mounted on my helmet, still a fair bit of rattle. It's about $30 for a handlebar mount, but honestly it would cost less to fabricate your own mount since they give you a few different mounting plates with the camera.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrR3yNXRquw
Bananas in Bandanas.

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Thu 09 Feb 2012, 8:08 pm

nikolai wrote:
roshea wrote:Seems that you can upload a file

Ahh verily! I've no problem simply grabbing a still or two from the video footage to go along with a report, then as suggested simply linking to the rest of the footage on youtube.

Cheers people.

I uploaded a single still shot from the video and mentioned that I had the full video...the cops rang me up and asked if I still had the video and I directed them to where the video was on youtube...but yeah...a link to the youtube URL is just as good if not better :)
It just takes 1 idiot...

Return to “Commuters discussion”