TdF 2011

weg

TdF 2011

Postby weg » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 12:01 pm

OK, time for a thread. Bit sad Robbie's not on the roster, and I preferred the wildcard teams at the Giro, but I'm starting to get interested.

Go Cadel! :)

Hitchy

Re: TdF 2011

Postby Hitchy » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:35 pm

weg wrote:..... Bit sad Robbie's not on the roster,

yeah, father time has caught up with him. No real surprise that he didn't get a start though, it's been awhile since he's been able to knock over the best sprinters....& with the shack having some GC aspirations he was only baggage they didn't need. Maybe he'll sign with GreenEdge next year & if they get a start we may not have seen the end of Robbie yet
What would Jens do?

weg

Postby weg » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 3:48 pm

Hitchy wrote:

yeah, father time has caught up with him. No real surprise that he didn't get a start though, it's been awhile since he's been able to knock over the best sprinters....& with the shack having some GC aspirations he was only baggage they didn't need. Maybe he'll sign with GreenEdge next year & if they get a start we may not have seen the end of Robbie yet

yeah, hope so. I would love to see Horner do well this year; he seemed to be on form at ToC and I prefer him to their other contenders. Would be great payback after his years of service to Cadel and others.

Looks like Cipo got to little porky too; he's trimmed down a bit. :lol:

blybo

Postby blybo » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:03 pm

Hitchy wrote:

I read somewhere that he's quoted as saying next years TDU will be his swan song.
Neil
The older I get, the better I was...

Hitchy

Postby Hitchy » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:10 pm

blybo wrote:
Hitchy wrote:

I read somewhere that he's quoted as saying next years TDU will be his swan song.

as good a place as any to go out...where it all began. Wonder if that's cos he reckons he won't get a pro tour ride, or whether he's just had enough. Be nice to see him go out with a bang, rather than a whimper
What would Jens do?

blybo

Postby blybo » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:17 pm

Hitchy wrote:
blybo wrote:
Hitchy wrote:

as good a place as any to go out...where it all began. Wonder if that's cos he reckons he won't get a pro tour ride, or whether he's just had enough. Be nice to see him go out with a bang, rather than a whimper

But where can he go out with a bang these days. He's probably ranked well outside the top 3 sprinters in Australia now. Only a crash/mechanical or unusual circumstances will see him finish over the top of the TDU field. He's only a bike length or 2 behind the best guys but that's as good as nowhere these days.

Vets BMX anybody :lol: :lol: :lol: . Sorry that was unkind.
Neil

Hitchy

Postby Hitchy » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 4:43 pm

blybo wrote:Vets BMX anybody :lol: :lol: :lol: . Sorry that was unkind.

yes, unkind & disrespectful. Robbie deserves better
What would Jens do?

weg

Postby weg » Fri 24 Jun 2011, 5:02 pm

And not even true. A second and eighth at the Giro, 4/2/3/3 at TDU, 6 at Adriatico and a fifth at Flanders - after two lots of knee surgery and no team.

Still the only Aussie with three green jerseys - before the taxpayer-funded Aussie sports machine got going - and it could well have been another but for the last year at Lotto where he rode for Cadel.

blybo

Postby blybo » Sat 25 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

weg wrote:And not even true. A second and eighth at the Giro, 4/2/3/3 at TDU, 6 at Adriatico and a fifth at Flanders - after two lots of knee surgery and no team.

Still the only Aussie with three green jerseys - before the taxpayer-funded Aussie sports machine got going - and it could well have been another but for the last year at Lotto where he rode for Cadel.

So wheres the win? Placings don't really rate too highly in pro ranks and you want to throw a 5th, 6th and an 8th into an argument on why he's still got it?

Look I love Robbie as I'm a BMX'er from my teenage years but age waits for no man and he was lucky to get a call up this year. He's still in the mix at the end but if he had raw speed he'd have to win the occasional sprint but without checking I don't think he's won anything since just before last years TDF.
Neil

blybo

Postby blybo » Sat 25 Jun 2011, 3:04 pm

http://www.sbs.com.au/cyclingcentral/ne ... ?cid=23218

Zorzoli said evidence from the programme suggests changes in doping behaviour in recent years, leaning towards what is commonly know in the sport as 'micro-dosing'.

"There's a tendency to use (banned) substances via micro-dosing during perhaps shorter time-scales, the aim of which is to reduce the risk of testing positive," he added.
Neil

weg

Postby weg » Sat 25 Jun 2011, 8:15 pm

blybo wrote:
weg wrote:And not even true. A second and eighth at the Giro, 4/2/3/3 at TDU, 6 at Adriatico and a fifth at Flanders - after two lots of knee surgery and no team.

So wheres the win? Placings don't really rate too highly in pro ranks and you want to throw a 5th, 6th and an 8th into an argument on why he's still got it?

Look I love Robbie as I'm a BMX'er from my teenage years but age waits for no man and he was lucky to get a call up this year. He's still in the mix at the end but if he had raw speed he'd have to win the occasional sprint but without checking I don't think he's won anything since just before last years TDF.

Of course he's getting on. It's amazing he's continued at top pro level to his 39th birthday; very few have done so. But this was your contention:
blybo wrote:He's probably ranked well outside the top 3 sprinters in Australia now.

I don't see those other three Aussie sprinters in front of him in those results, but I agree it's fantastic we have so many starting to break through as they step up to a full program.

weg

Postby weg » Sat 02 Jul 2011, 11:48 am

SBS coverage starts 10pm. :)

And nice piece in The Age about Cadel.

Jaumet

Postby Jaumet » Sat 02 Jul 2011, 4:00 pm

go Van Den Broek ! woop woop
Love, Peace & bicycle grease baby!

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Sun 03 Jul 2011, 10:24 am

Can anyone get the full standings to display on the SBS site. It's just a blank box for me, I had to goto velonews to see the full list. That SBS site seems flakey this year.

Oh and BTW - Go CADEL. 2nd was the perfect position for him. I'm sure he really didn't need the pressures of yellow so early.

Allez Allez

Postby Allez Allez » Sun 03 Jul 2011, 12:48 pm

Stephen wrote:Oh and BTW - Go CADEL. 2nd was the perfect position for him. I'm sure he really didn't need the pressures of yellow so early.

Won't tomorrow be too early.

I'm tipping he'd want his team to do well in the TT and from his position today tomorrow could see him in yellow all ready.. Not where he'd want to be I'm tipping, though you'd still want to be in front of Bert at any rate. Who knows? I only know I wasn't interested yesterday only cause Bert is riding, but I can't help loving the drama of the tour.

Return to “Competition”