Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

This replaces the previous forums at womenscycling.com.au.
blakey

Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby blakey » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:17 pm

If you've heard about the Dirty Deeds CX race series and thought that you'd like to have a go, but aren't sure if you have the right bike, or were hesitant about taking part, head on over to the blog and read Kate's writeup about women's CX:

http://dirtydeedscx.blogspot.com/2011/0 ... lings.html

We'd really like to see more women racing, in the open category (almost any bike), but especially the CX category (700C, drop bars), so cobble together a bike and come down to Darebin Parklands next weekend for Round #1. If you're not ready in time, at least come down and bring the party to the sidelines.

PeterD

Re: Cyclocross! - Dirty Deeds wants you to race!

Postby PeterD » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 3:52 pm

love a dirty women
'Whn u rliz hw prfct vrythg i u wl tilt ur hed bk n lgh a t sky' -buddha

weg

Postby weg » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:08 pm

blakey wrote:We'd really like to see more women racing, in the open category (almost any bike), but especially the CX category (700C, drop bars), so cobble together a bike and come down to Darebin Parklands next weekend for Round #1.

Has UCI changed the regs to outlaw 650c/26in CX? Not sure I would enter, but it's a definite 'no' to 700.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 4:38 pm

Was really fun watching last year... but not sure how much I'd like carrying around my fairly heavy hardtail MTB (I seriously considered a CX as n+1 for a while there, but went road instead...)

weg

Postby weg » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:09 pm

Can't find the UCI announcement but cn carried this (from the same announcement as the disks):

Rule amendments for Title 1
Wheels of the bicycle may vary in diameter between 70 cm maximum and 55 cm minimum, including the tyre. For the cyclo-cross bicycle the width of the tyre (measured between the widest parts) shall not exceed 33 mm and it may not incorporate any form of spike or stud.

I have 26in that comply with that.

You can probably do the whole dismount thing Canuck?

Heather

Postby Heather » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:12 pm

This looks like a lot of fun :mrgreen:
But I would need to have a suitable bike...looks across room at bike collection 8)
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:19 pm

weg wrote:You can probably do the whole dismount thing Canuck?

Errrr, noooo, but have previously tried it... :lol: (I could only seem to manage that kind of leg-over-while-moving dismount on one side - not that you need both, but I prefer flexibility in skills) First thoughts: Use a grassy field and know your clip tension well... Will give CX a go someday - just likely not next weekend ;)

Are you gonna have a try, weg? Will come watch... :D

EDIT: oh, oh... MAY have a go if osmund does it again! :P

osmund

Postby osmund » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:22 pm

I raced two of the races last year and had a blast! So I encourage anyone interested in it to just go for it. It is a lot of fun and not serious racing. :)

I rode my 26" mountain bike in the open class - it is a fairly light hardtail so I was fine with it. But I never mastered the cyclocross dismount (and remount) even with people yelling instructions at me!

weg

Postby weg » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:27 pm

Canuck wrote:Errrr, noooo, but have previously tried it... :lol: (I could only seem to manage that kind of leg-over-while-moving dismount on one side - not that you need both, but I prefer flexibility in skills) First thoughts: Use a grassy field and know your clip tension well... Will give CX a go someday - just likely not next weekend ;)

Are you gonna have a try, weg? Will come watch... :D

haha, one side would do me! Not sure. Apparently you have to drink beer every lap. :( Have barely ridden for months so being fit would help too probably. :lol:
Last edited by weg on Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

osmund

Postby osmund » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

Canuck wrote:EDIT: oh, oh... MAY have a go if osmund does it again! :P

hmmm, looking at the dates and it doesn't look good. :( I am busy on the 19th June and away for the July one so that just leaves the August one. I will put it in the calendar. :)

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:29 pm

weg wrote:mtbs in open?

Yup.

I will think about it... but not too hard :lol:

Need to get on the MTB soon before Donna :shock:

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:30 pm

osmund wrote:

hmmm, looking at the dates and it doesn't look good. :( I am busy on the 19th June and away for the July one so that just leaves the August one. I will put it in the calendar. :)

Oh, oh !!! YES!!! That is VERY close to my birthday, so any excuse to ride and drink beer = celebration enough for me! Put it in the calendar!

weg

Postby weg » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:32 pm

Canuck wrote:Need to get on the MTB soon before Donna :shock:

Yeah, I've been thinking about the tourer; if I don't get out soon it's not going to happen.

osmund

Postby osmund » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:33 pm

Canuck wrote:
osmund wrote:

Oh, oh !!! YES!!! That is VERY close to my birthday, so any excuse to ride and drink beer = celebration enough for me! Put it in the calendar!

haha, love it! :)

Getting some pressure (from husband) to race next Sunday but considering I can barely ride a lap of the boulie, I don't really feel up to it.

blakey

Postby blakey » Mon 13 Jun 2011, 5:50 pm

PeterD: You are one of the reasons more women don't race. Take that attitude elsewhere, like the 1950s.

Weg: If frame size means that 650C or 26" is the right size wheel for you, that's A-OK. You can get 34mm 26" CX tyres from Wiggle (http://www.wiggle.co.uk/schwalbe-cx-pro ... ross-tyre/). What you can't use in the CX category are non drop bars (super flared drops are ok though), i.e. flats / risers / bullhorns. You also can't run suspension or wide MTB tyres. The UCI says 32mm, but we'll turn a blind eye to 35-40mm ones. Discs/cantis/vees are all ok.

Canuck: Carrying a MTB up a hill is no fun, Sasha from Pony Bikes raced round 1 last year on a downhill bike with the flu and was suffering!

Don't think you have the skills? We will run skills sessions (before round #1 might be pushing it, but there's always Saturday) to practice dismounts / remounts, shouldering technique, barrier jumps. Plus you can practice these on your commute too ;-). But if you don't have Sven Nys like skills, there's no shame in slowing up at a barrier, stepping off, clearing the barrier and then getting back on. In time you'll learn the flying dismount. Likewise, instead of shouldering the bike up a hill, you can always push it, sometimes it's actually easier.

Beer handups (and handdowns!) are encouraged, but by no means necessary. There's no drug testing at our races (yet).

So, if you have a flatbar hybrid; whack some drops on it and knobby tyres and bam, you're CX legal. Got a touring bike? strip the guards and change the tyres and you're good to go. Got a road bike with more clearance than a full gas race machine? Squeeze in some narrow CX tyres or the widest slicks you can, open up the brake arms and you're ready to get dirty. Our good friends at Commuter Cycles have generously offered assistance with parts and tyres for women wanting to race.

Otherwise, shed as much weight from whatever bike you have (as long as it has brakes) and compete in the open category.

Plus! We have a kids category, bring down the little tackers and let them tear it up on their bikes too. Fun for the whole family.

Try using a glass half full approach and run what you got. You'll have a ball, trust me. And if you don't believe me, here's proof:

Muddy, falling over, sliding around trying to stay upright... and huge smiles:

Jess, with knobbies squeezed into her SS commuter:

Ann-Michel on her SS CX bike:

Return to “Women's Cycling”