what new tent to buy ???

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
bikeman123

what new tent to buy ???

Postby bikeman123 » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 4:46 pm

i am a regular great vic and great escape rider for this years great vic i need to get a new tent because the one i have know is getting old and starting to show its age

so im looking for smothing

light
easy to put up and pack away
compact
smothing stands out from other tents (easy to find in a feild of tents that all look the same)
its size 1-3 person tent

so any feedback whould be helpfull

Thanks,

bikeman123

JAC

Re: what new tent to buy ???

Postby JAC » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 4:49 pm

Cat and I will be looking for a 2-3 person tent, similar criteria to bikeman123- so hopefully your suggestions to him/her will help us too.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 5:08 pm

How important is weight?

We have 2 kathmandu tents, a hiking 2-man that was used by my brother - very light and great size for one, but way too small for 2 for any length of time. We got a 3-man (something like the escape 50?) for us that was 8kgs or something but fine for two of us to share the weight - not quite big enough to stand up in but oodles of room for all our stuff and we could even squeeze two road bikes in the front porch area when we needed to.

Kathmandu tents aren't cheap unless they're on sale. Anaconda do almost identical ones to the cheaper of ours but they all look the same! A good Rays Outdoors have heaps on display that you can walk into and have a look.

PS if you're looking for something for the size of 1 person it's going to be hard to find something to stand out because it'll be lower than most of the ones around! Ours are both 3-pole tents that are very easy to put up with or without pegging down the bottom.
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 6:01 pm

You're not going to get something that stands out from the rest of the tents unless you somehow "personalise" it or get a full standing headroom tent.

Hubby and I took a DMH 4 man full standing headroom tent and obviously had no trouble locating it as there were very few such tents about -and it was bright blue. From memory, the model was the Snowy which does not appear to exist any more and it weighed in at 8.3kg.

bikeman123

Postby bikeman123 » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 6:54 pm

looking for something for just my self so something small and light weight and it whould be great if it had like a porch area at the back of it where i can put my road bike so will be a seperate and closed of from the area where you sleep.
atb 07,08, 09, 10
gvbr 02, 03, 04, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10
escapade 07,08,09

matagi

Postby matagi » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 7:22 pm

Hmm small and with a vestibule may be a challenge ...... I have been eyeing off the Coleman Lakeside 3 tent for solo camping (out of my car) it weighs in at around 7.7 kg but it has a vestibule, but it is only a sitting height tent - not standing height.

Or as an alternative, the Black Wolf Tanami 3EV - only 5.5kg, has a vestibule and is sitting height.
Last edited by matagi on Sun 27 Jun 2010, 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 7:23 pm

Sorry remembered ours was a Retreat one from Kathmandu - ours had a back porch area but the smaller one (more suitable for 1 person) didn't.
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 9:34 pm

Hi bikeman123 I've just bought an Exped Vela I, 1 person with large vestibule and about 1.5 kgs min weight. Plenty lightweight enough for me and has a very good floor rated to 10k water column performance. I bought it for cycletouring and bushwalking. It has some very good reviews from experienced bushwalkers.
Details here:
http://www.moontrail.com/exped-vela-I.php

A bike will not fit into this tent. You would need to get a larger tent or carry a separate fly or tarp for example. Why can I ask, do you need to put your bike under canvas? Very few cycletourers ime worry about their bike being outside. Only panniers are brought in under cover and other things that need protection. Just put a shower cap or plastic bag on your seat if your worry is rain.

PS The outer is green as cycletourers prefer their tents to blend in when stealth camping but to quote a recent reviewer on Bushwalk Tasmania " Every peg point and zip tag has a small white plastic tag which glows in the dark. This is surprisingly useful when trying to find your way into or out of the tent during the night, and I imagine it would make pegging down in the dark a little easier too.All ropes have highly reflective threads in them, so the merest hint of light from a head torch and the ropes shine back very brightly, making them much less of a trip hazard in the dark."

bikeman123

Postby bikeman123 » Sun 27 Jun 2010, 11:36 pm

Hi UJ1

im not worried about my bike being out in the rain or eliments the olny reasion i pefer to put it in my tent is because it is worth a lot of money
atb 07,08, 09, 10
escapade 07,08,09

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Mon 28 Jun 2010, 9:56 am

Ok. I share your concern and I note from your sig that you have done a few GVBRs, but how many bikes have been stolen from around tents in that time? I would imagine, not having ever done a GVBR, that security would be provided and having more "eyes" around than a lone tourer could ever muster would be a disincentive for a thief. Perhaps just carry a lock.
FWIW I've heard of very few bikes being stolen from tourers around official campsites or in non designated camping areas in all my years of touring. There is a woman riding around the world atm who had her locked bike stolen from a block of flats in a desperately poor eastern Euro country, but hey if they want your bike, nylon is easily penetrated.

bc

Postby bc » Mon 28 Jun 2010, 2:45 pm

I bought a 4 man tent from Anaconda for last years GVBR. I think it's an ealier version of this one - it was around $100 on one of their "specials" at the time. My daughter and I shared it, and put our bikes in the vestibule which I regarded as a bonus - out of the weather and away from school kids running around the camp site. While I bought it for the GVBR, I intend to use it on other drive/camp type trips so I was after something comfortable, with weight being a secondary consideration.

Worked well for us. Struggled a bit on a couple of the windy sites, but it did better than I expected. My daughter could stand up in it, but I'm a bit too tall - still, having the space was great and I was only a little embarrassed by the size of it at the most crowded camp sites. Being a bit taller it was pretty easy to find.

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon 28 Jun 2010, 9:42 pm

UJ1 wrote:Ok. I share your concern and I note from your sig that you have done a few GVBRs, but how many bikes have been stolen from around tents in that time? I would imagine, not having ever done a GVBR, that security would be provided and having more "eyes" around than a lone tourer could ever muster would be a disincentive for a thief. Perhaps just carry a lock.
FWIW I've heard of very few bikes being stolen from tourers around official campsites or in non designated camping areas in all my years of touring. There is a woman riding around the world atm who had her locked bike stolen from a block of flats in a desperately poor eastern Euro country, but hey if they want your bike, nylon is easily penetrated.

The thought of someone stealing my bike never entered my head on either of the GVBRs I did.

The advantage of putting your bike inside the vestibule of your tent is so that people stumbling around in the dark don't trip over it and possibly fall on it and damage it. The other advantage is that it is out of the weather (yes, I do realise bikes can handle a bit of bad weather)

bikeman123

Postby bikeman123 » Mon 28 Jun 2010, 11:40 pm

had not thought of that.

i looking for a good small compact cable lock with biult in alarm i know you can get but i dont know where to find?
atb 07,08, 09, 10
escapade 07,08,09

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Tue 29 Jun 2010, 11:25 am

bikeman123 wrote:had not thought of that.

i looking for a good small compact cable lock with biult in alarm i know you can get but i dont know where to find?

Something like this perhaps?

ian

Postby ian » Thu 29 Jul 2010, 12:36 pm

squeaza wrote:Sorry remembered ours was a Retreat one from Kathmandu - ours had a back porch area but the smaller one (more suitable for 1 person) didn't.

Squeaza, from memory, your tent had an entry foyer, games room, study area, room for a vegie garden and potential for a tennis court!!
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”