GVBR Bikes - where are they now?

General talk, queries & comments about the Great Victorian Bike Ride.
Atom Ant

GVBR Bikes - where are they now?

Postby Atom Ant » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 10:40 pm

There seem to be about 10,000 of the 2005 GVBR bikes on the roads and bike paths (I've accumulated most of three in my garage), and a lesser number of the 2004 and 2006 models still going around.

- My 11 yo daughter loves her bike because it is lighter and faster then the lead-tubed bikes her friends have.

- My wife appreciates having her first ever new bike, and that it is the correct size is a bonus.

- The third bike in the garage... donated to me to use for spare parts for the first two. :)

I reckon it's a fair chance that many forum regulars have (or have had) a GVBR bike. How do you use them?
Last edited by Atom Ant on Fri 13 Apr 2007, 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Up and at 'em

PennyR

Postby PennyR » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 10:49 pm

I did the 2004 GVBR, and gave the free bike to one of my 16 yo twin sisters, who still uses it.
We've had to buy a new tyre for it (sis got a flat, and rode it for a couple of klicks ... so recked the tyre!) and deal with a couple of broken spokes (and wheel trueing) - but other than that, it's been fine.

Penny

earl

Postby earl » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 10:54 pm

I've got a green-machine in the garage and will pass it onto one of the grandkids when they're old enough, but will change the selectors first.

It could be a collectors item by then, and if they don't get into cycling, it could be a reasonable frame on which to build a single speed.
Life is too short to bother with idiots

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Re: GVBR Bikes - where are they now?

Postby Shaz » Thu 12 Apr 2007, 10:55 pm

RedZ61 wrote:There seem to be about 10,000 of the green 2005 GVBR bikes on the roads and bike paths (I've accumulated most of three in my garage), and a lesser number of the 2004 and 2006 models still going around.

I reckon it's a fair chance that many forum regulars have (or have had) a GVBR bike. How do you use them?

I raffled mine off........hehehehe

Thomas Darragh

Postby Thomas Darragh » Fri 13 Apr 2007, 12:12 pm

I gave my 2004 bike to a young chap who had his bike stolen. Tom
Tom Darragh

Shaz
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Shaz » Fri 13 Apr 2007, 2:24 pm

Thomas Darragh wrote:I gave my 2004 bike to a young chap who had his bike stolen. Tom

Nice one Tom...... :D

Jon Mortimer

the blue bike

Postby Jon Mortimer » Fri 13 Apr 2007, 5:06 pm

I have the 2006 blue GVBR bike and it is a fantastic shopping bike. It has this huge low gear on the rear cluster (with the words "super wide" written on it).

What this means is that I can stuff the panniers with shopping and ride the 12 km home from town and simply sit and spin up all the steep hills.

BV charged $80 for the "free" bike last year and I think that is probably enough to ensure that those who don't need a bike don't take up the offer. This isn't a bad thing. There are eleven bikes outside my back door. My non-bicycling wife doesn't understand the need for more than one bike but she is very tolerant. There is I suspect a limit though.

Jennifer

Postby Jennifer » Thu 19 Apr 2007, 7:29 am

I donated my "green machine" to Ceres so hopefully it has gone to someone needy after I rode it about 1500km. It just wasn't up to my 47km a trip commuting days so when I replaced it I was told one bike had to go...

Al uses the "violet crumble" on bike paths for the odd trip and BUG rides. I still see many of them around in the city and suburbs and the Alfred's bike shed has its fair share of both models (don't recall seeing a blue one though).

Heather

Postby Heather » Thu 19 Apr 2007, 9:29 am

Just noticed this morning that the cranks are super loose on son's 2006 blue GVBR bike, that he uses to commute to school. Bugger! Next decision - is it worthwhile paying to getting it fixed?
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Renegade

Postby Renegade » Thu 19 Apr 2007, 5:32 pm

Sold the gold one to the next door neighbour.
Sold the green one to Dads bowls club greenskeeper.
Sold the blue one to Dads bowls club greenskeeper. (he's a glutton for punishment) :lol:

Atom Ant

Re: GVBR Bikes - where are they now?

Postby Atom Ant » Mon 07 May 2007, 1:29 am

RedZ61 wrote:- My 11 yo daughter loves her bike because it is lighter and faster then the lead-tubed bikes her friends have.

- My wife appreciates having her first ever new bike, and that it is the correct size is a bonus.

- The third bike in the garage... donated to me to use for spare parts for the first two. :)

Down to just two bikes now. I gave the spare to a mate whose old faithful commuter had finally died - his seat stays are no longer attached to the seat tube, giving him either (a) short-travel suspension as the chain stays flex; or (b) a bike that ain't safe to ride. He now has the bike, which is a huge step up in quality from his last two bikes.
Up and at 'em

DarrenA137

Postby DarrenA137 » Wed 09 May 2007, 5:04 pm

I intend to use my 2005 bike one day... as a bike for trails and paths, but I might need to lend it to my uncle who unfortunately had two bikes stolen in Launceston recently.

Alister1

Postby Alister1 » Mon 14 May 2007, 4:33 pm

We have 2 violet crumbles - one has never been riden the other has been used by a freind to get her commuting. It had an upgrade to the shifters.

My son's freind that we took on the ride still uses his everday on his delivery rounds plus to and from school. It has had a shifter upgrade also.

I think the frames will be around for years
Alister
Join a BUG - make a difference

jda

GVBR Bikes

Postby jda » Mon 28 May 2007, 10:19 am

I still have two of the originals

Always intended taking them up to the bush block but it hasn't happened yet.

I have adopted the nomenclature of my sister (veteran GVBR participant) and her gang who refer to them as:
2004 - Violet Crumble
2005 - Frog
2006 - not named yet

c u on the road
john

20 inch wheels

GVBR in the TdF

Postby 20 inch wheels » Tue 07 Aug 2007, 10:33 pm

Just finished riding the Tour de France on my 2006 GVBR bike and it went brilliantly. OK so I rode it on the trainer through the half hour SBS highlights, but it went very nicely in every situation - sprints, mountain climbing, even the time trials. A great all round bike.
life is unfolding

Return to “Great Victorian Bike Ride discussion”