How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
cyclotaur

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby cyclotaur » Thu 30 Jan 2020, 6:09 pm

Despite going to the dark side (power meter on the 'good' bike :lol: ) I still regard all my cycling as recreational. I'm not a racer at all so the PM is just to focus some of my rides to 'training' so I can enjoy all the really good ones. :mrgreen: ;)

Had some fun recently with spending 20 minutes under Banksia St bridge during the big storm two Sundays back, and generally doing some re-exploring of Melbs great paths and trails to help get the mojo back, particularly with the cancellation of my regular AAC weekend at Bright due to bushfires.

Hoping to get up there to Bright sometime in the next few months or so anyway.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 6:55 pm

20km ride on my own. 10km walk with my team mate for our training.

Then, just kicking around the Botanic Gardens with the fam, water play to soak the Boy and I in the children's garden, took in some of the Jayco tour, and enjoyed some yummy ice cream 8-)

Perfect summer day.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 09 Feb 2020, 7:14 pm

Rode out to Kinglake and back.
A motorcyclist & his bike went off the road, about half way up. He was pretty lucky that the trees stopped him pretty quickly. Just 50m further up the road it's a very long way down.

Heather

Postby Heather » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 8:31 am

Did an overnight tour on the weekend - "Peninsular Overland Overwater Ferry soujourn"
Rode east from Coburg to Mitcham, then met up with the others to take the East link bike path, then Peninsular link bike path towards the Peninsular. Stopped off for some refreshments along the way:
    Hickinbotham winery
    Jetty Road Brewery
    Two Bays Brewing
    St Andrews Beach Brewery
140 km later arrived at the overnight stay at Blairgowrie
Sunday we did a cruise to Sorrento & Portsea - the Sorrento Brewhouse was closed :lol:
Then took the Sorrento ferry to Queenscliff, rode to St Leonards for lunch, then cruise to Portarlington for the ferry back to Docklands.
So much fun! Could have done without the massive winds all weekend, and the ferry trip back across Port Phillip Bay was an adventure! Huge swell made for a trip that felt like a rollercoaster! :shock: :shock: :shock:
Great fun, I've done the two ferry concept a few times, makes for a great trip!
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 8:57 am

Inspiring!
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 10 Feb 2020, 9:08 am

Sounds like a top weekend Heather!

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 12 Mar 2020, 10:45 am

Wednesday afternoon trike ride from Briar Hill onto the Main Yarra Trail at Eltham until....

Not checking the adjustment of the rear derailleur on the trike when I should have....and then missing the change to 1st gear on a steep climb....chain slips off 1st gear onto spokes and derailleur arm mangles itself in the spokes for good measure. :cry:

The good things. Only 10 km from home on the Main Yarra Trail in Westerfolds Park near Odyssey House (could have been a lot worse). Several passing cyclists asked if I was OK and if they could help. Thanks!! :)

The ironic thing: Owner of LBS I visited yesterday to acquire a new derailleur told me he had seen me walking / trotting the trike through the last suburb before home, figured that I had the situation under control and that he might see me soon-ish! (Hi Marcus of Walkers Wheels, Montmorency!)

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 13 Mar 2020, 11:12 am

TrikeTragic wrote:Wednesday afternoon trike ride from Briar Hill onto the Main Yarra Trail at Eltham until....

Not checking the adjustment of the rear derailleur on the trike when I should have....and then missing the change to 1st gear on a steep climb....chain slips off 1st gear onto spokes and derailleur arm mangles itself in the spokes for good measure. :cry:

The good things. Only 10 km from home on the Main Yarra Trail in Westerfolds Park near Odyssey House (could have been a lot worse). Several passing cyclists asked if I was OK and if they could help. Thanks!! :)

The ironic thing: Owner of LBS I visited yesterday to acquire a new derailleur told me he had seen me walking / trotting the trike through the last suburb before home, figured that I had the situation under control and that he might see me soon-ish! (Hi Marcus of Walkers Wheels, Montmorency!)

Cheers

Now if you had a Rohloff you would not have trouble with pesky derailleurs!

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon 16 Mar 2020, 12:26 pm

^^^^^^^^
Ahhh, thanks Mike. Cooda, shooda, wooda had Rohloff…..

New derailleur fitted, test ride today sometime (glorious day here in sunny Melbourne :D )

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 19 Mar 2020, 2:19 pm

I haven't ridden for a couple of weeks SO Goosey Lucy and mates staged a road block at their park to say "hi"
I was very impressed by their thoughtfulness.

A bit rough at The Spit today.

Some of Surfers' highrisers... looking rather nice against the blue sky.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 21 Mar 2020, 4:03 pm

Usually, I don't ride on Saturday but with the virus around, I thought a ride would be good for me.

At my Northerly turnaround point at Lands End, looking over the Broadwater towards Southport.

A bit different to 2 days ago.

What virus. The carpark at the end of The Spit holds over 300 cars, this morning I counted about 10 empty spots.

mb27

Postby mb27 » Sun 22 Mar 2020, 6:56 pm

Looking good as ever up north

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 22 Mar 2020, 7:18 pm

mb27 wrote:Looking good as ever up north

Can't complain, Matty

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 10:12 pm

I do love going for a ride. (if you haven't noticed). :)

Today, it started off with light drizzle and finished in brilliant sunshine.
While we are still allowed to 'exercise' by riding. I will.

Highlight of today's ride was watching Goosey Lucy and mates being fed by a local. SO I spoke to him, he comes to MacIntosh island every couple of days and feeds them. The birds consisted of Goosey Lucy and mates, Peter Peacock, Ian Ibis, War waterhen, Wally pigeons and seagulls. While I sat and watched him feed the birds. It was obvious what the 'pecking order' was. Goosey Lucy and mates were definitely top and seagulls were bottom. Goosey Lucy nearly ate a seagull. It was on for young and old.

Photo 1 - 7:15am - Surfers Paradise beach was nearly deserted. I know it was early but usually there are some humans on it.

Photo 2 - The birds getting fed by a local.

Photo 3 - Peter Peacock came and joined the feeding frenzy.

Today's ride report:-
http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/Bike-Routes/Bike-201902-my-rides.html#ride41

Frosty.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 9:39 am

Looks nice Frosty.

Return to “Cycling discussion”