Forum broken

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Claude Cat

Re: Forum broken

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 18 Oct 2019, 9:25 am

Well done frosty.

I'm still getting an error posting, but the posts appear.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 18 Oct 2019, 11:41 am

Claude Cat wrote:Well done frosty.

I'm still getting an error posting, but the posts appear.

Yes. same here.

2cvmad

Postby 2cvmad » Fri 18 Oct 2019, 4:48 pm

Its great to be back again!

jvb

Postby jvb » Sat 19 Oct 2019, 10:31 am

Stephen wrote:So was it a deliberate shutdown or just CBF fixing it? The direct link at the bottom of the BV home page never went away.

It was CBF fixing it. I was told they were too busy organising ATB and that after that they would have a look at the forum. Seems they have, but for how long?

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 19 Oct 2019, 2:42 pm

I just hit the link on a whim now and very surprised it opened!
Hope it stays.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 19 Oct 2019, 3:40 pm

jvb wrote:
Stephen wrote:So was it a deliberate shutdown or just CBF fixing it? The direct link at the bottom of the BV home page never went away.

It was CBF fixing it. I was told they were too busy organising ATB and that after that they would have a look at the forum. Seems they have, but for how long?

Exactly.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Sun 20 Oct 2019, 12:10 pm

Frosty wrote:Well, we are up but for how long.........

What other forums do our members visit?

Frosty.

I still go to fixed.org.au every now and then, but that's shrinking as well. I loathe facebook and I've never got into instagram or twitter. But they work because they're free, made for mobiles and require no IT support.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Tue 22 Oct 2019, 7:56 pm

Gotta say whilst I've been a member here for some time, I kind of thought this forum was an older version of bicycle.net.au forum and I've been regular there but wasn't sure of this one was still going.
I felt the other forum had more Sydney content as both seem to be Victorian in Origin....perhaps I'm wrong.

A lot of traditional forums have either folded, on the verge of folding or have just stopped operating, I know because I'm an admin on one such BBQ forum, the first and once largest BBQ forum in Australia, it was formed in 2006 when all there was, was American based forums. But the forum I admin on is now all but a ghost town...even some of the miserable ghosts have moved on :lol:

I had visited this forum a few times in the past, even joined but as there wasn't much happening, I thought it might've been one that perhaps became dormant or maybe moved to a different forum format...that's why I initially ties this one and the one above but they seem to be 2 different forum groups entirely. My bad :roll:

Is there still hope for this forum if members posted more or is it preferred that it just faded into the sunset?

I just hate the fact that groups from sites like FB have taken over but they can't have easier to find info that that of a traditional forum such as this.

Anyway...my 50C worth I guess...kinda sorry i missed out on all the fun.

Cheers

brumby33

Thomas Darragh

Postby Thomas Darragh » Wed 23 Oct 2019, 8:09 am

Thanks Frosty. I missed the Forum and just tried again today to see if it was back up. I've also been a member for years including the one before. I don't post much, but I've always enjoyed reading other people's posts. I've learned a lot about bicycle maintenance, got information on bike trails and even purchased a couple of things advertised. A pity not so many using it. I hope it keeps going. All the best Tom
Tom Darragh

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 23 Oct 2019, 9:22 am

brumby33 wrote:Gotta say whilst I've been a member here for some time, I kind of thought this forum was an older version of bicycle.net.au forum and I've been regular there but wasn't sure of this one was still going.
I felt the other forum had more Sydney content as both seem to be Victorian in Origin....perhaps I'm wrong.

A lot of traditional forums have either folded, on the verge of folding or have just stopped operating, I know because I'm an admin on one such BBQ forum, the first and once largest BBQ forum in Australia, it was formed in 2006 when all there was, was American based forums. But the forum I admin on is now all but a ghost town...even some of the miserable ghosts have moved on :lol:

I had visited this forum a few times in the past, even joined but as there wasn't much happening, I thought it might've been one that perhaps became dormant or maybe moved to a different forum format...that's why I initially ties this one and the one above but they seem to be 2 different forum groups entirely. My bad :roll:

Is there still hope for this forum if members posted more or is it preferred that it just faded into the sunset?

I just hate the fact that groups from sites like FB have taken over but they can't have easier to find info that that of a traditional forum such as this.

Cheers

brumby33

Forums need to move with the times.
The ones that are still successful are using the latest platforms like Zenforo, which allow embeddeding of various social media platforms.
Sticking to something that uses php is pretty much a dead duck.
Examples of still successful forums: bigfooty, ski.com.au etc.
I note that Cycling News just moved their forum Zenforo

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Wed 23 Oct 2019, 11:09 am

Claude Cat wrote:
brumby33 wrote:Gotta say whilst I've been a member here for some time, I kind of thought this forum was an older version of bicycle.net.au forum and I've been regular there but wasn't sure of this one was still going.

Cheers

brumby33

Forums need to move with the times.
The ones that are still successful are using the latest platforms like Zenforo, which allow embeddeding of various social media platforms.
Sticking to something that uses php is pretty much a dead duck.
Examples of still successful forums: bigfooty, ski.com.au etc.
I note that Cycling News just moved their forum Zenforo

Yes Claudecat you are right, the php format is old hat but usually stable if you keep it up to date and still many forums are using more modern versions of php that can incorporate youtube and photos.
When I first saw this forum I thought jeez this looks like the original format of our old BBQ forum and we still use phpBB.
https://www.aussiebbq.info/forum/

But the newer forums have moved on to more modern formats like dudeworld and Burning Board.

But irrespective of format, it's the members who keep a forum going and without them, it's just a shell, it's the activity of the forum that matters, other stuff can be added when it becomes available.bicycle.net.au still uses php.BB but in a slightly more modern look. Because of the older look, is why I thought this might've been an older version of bicycle.net.au and that this was an archived version but this version seems to have a different line of members than the other, I find sometimes the other not always so friendly and they want pick the crap out of your posts...is it the same here with IT trained keyboard warriors?

brumby33

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 23 Oct 2019, 2:24 pm

True enough, but more modern (whatever the technology they are built on) forums keep members engaged better by allowing them to integrate their facebook, youtube, twitter etc posts.
Eg drag & drop an image and you're done; yeh, we can all work around the current forums limitations, but it fights you all the way and members slowly gravitate away.

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Thu 24 Oct 2019, 12:23 pm

Good work Frosty. Haven't been riding a while now so haven't dropped in as nothing to contribute...

Echoing what is said above, the forum format is dying. I am a mod on a rock climbing forum and there are numerous days where the only activity is disabling new spam logins with no actual content to review.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 24 Oct 2019, 7:49 pm

Dalai wrote:Good work Frosty. Haven't been riding a while now so haven't dropped in as nothing to contribute...

Echoing what is said above, the forum format is dying. I am a mod on a rock climbing forum and there are numerous days where the only activity is disabling new spam logins with no actual content to review.

Very similar here with new spam logins.

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Sun 27 Oct 2019, 7:59 am

Frosty wrote:Well, we are up but for how long.........

What other forums do our members visit?

I have politely been told to delete all comment about BNV IT and not to contact them again. Use the Contact us section.

So after they read this, This forum may never appear again.

Thank you to our great members.

This forum has been going for 14 years and before that we were on another. I have been on BN Forum since 1999.

Frosty.

You superstar! Had almost given up checking if the site was still live.

I don't currently use another cycling forum. I had been thinking about joining the Australian Cycling Forums @ Bicycles Network Australia, but hadn't gotten around to it.

This is my forum of choice, hopefully it will keep going for a while yet.

Return to “Cycling discussion”