2016 Lunch in Warby - 26th March

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
GreenAlias

2016 Lunch in Warby - 26th March

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 12 Feb 2016, 2:40 pm

For the last 6 years we have had a Lilydale to Warburton & return “Lunch in Warby” ride along the rail trail on the Easter Saturday which were popular, well attended and much enjoyed by all – so I propose that we do it all again this year. This year (2016) Easter Saturday is 26th March. This is a scenic social ride conducted at a leisurely pace suitable for family groups & senior citizens. Anyone who wants to step up the pace after lunch and go ahead of the bunch on the return journey is very welcome to do so.

Starting from Lilydale Railway Station at 9:00am. There are trains that depart Flinders Street at 7:29 & 7:49. For those who don't want to do the full return distance and/or the climb over Mt Evelyn, there are several points where you can meet the main group along the trail.

For those who haven’t been before and would like to know more, there is heaps of information and lotsa photos in the old threads. Most information about distances, grades, track surfaces, suitable bikes & tyres is there, but if you can’t find what you want I’m also happy to answer questions and/or provide further information.

the 2010 thread is HERE

the 2011 thread is HERE

If you're interested in attending this year please post in this thread so we can gain an estimate of likely numbers.

Stephen

Re: 2016 Lunch in Warby - 26th March

Postby Stephen » Sun 28 Feb 2016, 10:02 am

I'm keen. Last time I did that trail we came back via the waterpipe track which added a bit of interest. One guy was riding a narrow tyre fixie so it's do-able on anything.

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Thu 03 Mar 2016, 10:12 am

I'm keen, but need to do a bit more bike time. Haven't ridden in over a month due to being OS on holiday, and too busy in the lead up.
Dave
Bianchi Via Nirone
Merida Scultura EVO 904

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Tue 15 Mar 2016, 2:17 pm

This year Easter is earlier than usual so I'm hoping that we'll get some really good weather for our ride. Last week's rain has settled the dust and the trail surface is very good. For those who haven't been for a while, the section between Millgrove and Warburton is now ultra-smooth hot-mix bitumen.

Some reminder photos :mrgreen:

There is a good selection of eateries in Warburton so if our group is too big for one cafe we can split like we did last year.

HelenGirschik

Postby HelenGirschik » Thu 17 Mar 2016, 5:42 pm

Dan I will start at Lilydale Lake and ride up to the trail, as I did last time I rode that ride with you.Look out for me at the Lake turnoff on the trail to Mt Evelyn.
Looking forward to the ride
Helen Girschik

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 18 Mar 2016, 11:30 am

HelenGirschik wrote:Look out for me at the Lake turnoff on the trail to Mt Evelyn.

Thanks Helen, we'll keep an eye out for you.

A few people have asked me what times the ride might arrive at the various alternate starting points along the trail. Based on our times from last year's ride - providing we get underway at 9:00 (or by 9:05) this is approximately what we should expect

Lake turnoff (for Helen) 9:15

Mt Evelyn 9:40 - 9:45

Wandin (where trail crosses Highway) 9:50 - 9:55

Cafe at Seville - 10:00 - 10:10

Depending on how long we take for coffee at Seville I anticipate that we should arrive at the carpark at Woori Yallock approx 11:15am

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sat 26 Mar 2016, 4:48 pm

Eight hardy riders ventured out on a cool early morning under grey skies. Fortunately, the temperature rose and we stayed dry thus making for a good day out on the bikes. Thanks to everyone who came for making it an enjoyable day.

Strava stats here

Outward leg - Lilydale to Warburton

Return leg Warburton to Lilydale

Lunch at the Bakery

On the trail

Yarra Junction stop

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Sat 26 Mar 2016, 5:48 pm

And thank you very much for organising such a lovely ride, and keeping us all together and on time.

I really enjoyed the leisurely pace and the fine conversation along the way with Helen, Dave, Dave, Werner, Mike and Mary and yourself.

As for the photos....hmmmm...I reallly should trim my beard, I'm looking a bit like the 8th dwarf - Geeky.

Maybe we got the right time of year, but the scenery was beautiful, pastures filled with fat cattle, sheep, haybales and rusty old ploughs that I think bucolic is the only word. I felt the need to grab an easel and paint those green fields and misty clouds hanging around the mountaintops.

I can strongly recommend this ride to anyone who wants to go slow, enjoy pleasant company and a nice chat.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Mon 28 Mar 2016, 9:07 am

Thanks Dan for another great ride.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 7:42 am

Stephen wrote:And thank you very much for organising such a lovely ride, and keeping us all together and on time.
I really enjoyed the leisurely pace and the fine conversation along the way with Helen, Dave, Dave, Werner, Mike and Mary and yourself.
Maybe we got the right time of year, but the scenery was beautiful, pastures filled with fat cattle, sheep, haybales and rusty old ploughs that I think bucolic is the only word. I felt the need to grab an easel and paint those green fields and misty clouds hanging around the mountaintops.

I can strongly recommend this ride to anyone who wants to go slow, enjoy pleasant company and a nice chat.

Hi Folks, Sorry for the late notice. It's on again this year. Meet at the northern end of the car park at Lilydale railway station ready to roll at 09:00am.

Black Knight

Postby Black Knight » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 11:59 am

Hi Folks, Sorry for the late notice. It's on again this year. Meet at the northern end of the car park at Lilydale railway station ready to roll at 09:00am.

16/4/17 - Easter Sunday?

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 3:04 pm

Black Knight wrote: 16/4/17 - Easter Sunday?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's always on the Saturday. This year it's 15th April.

Black Knight

Postby Black Knight » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:14 pm

GreenAlias wrote:
Black Knight wrote: 16/4/17 - Easter Sunday?

Sorry, I should have clarified. It's always on the Saturday. This year it's 15th April.

Thank you..... Saturday may work. A little bit of wangling required but certainly within the realms of possibility.

ridinwithdale

Postby ridinwithdale » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 12:24 am

any doing it this year?

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 29 Mar 2018, 7:57 pm

ridinwithdale wrote:any doing it this year?

Hi Dale, Sorry, nothing organised this year. Pity, the weather forecast is just about perfect.

If anybody wants to do it please post here. I MIGHT be able to meet you at Woori Yallock and join you for the lunch.

Return to “Plan a ride”