Bikes as getaway vehicles

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Mav

Bikes as getaway vehicles

Postby Mav » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 1:59 pm

Seems that bikes are now seen as alternatives to getaway cars :shock:

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,22750016-1702,00.html

POLICE in Victoria's north-east have caught a man who allegedly robbed a bank and made his getaway on a bicycle.

"He left the bank with a small amount of cash," the spokeswoman said. "The man was last seen escaping on a bicycle heading north in Murphy Street."

But this isn't an isolated example, and as with most crazy ideas the Yanks beat us to it:

http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/northfulton/stories/2007/11/05/bicyclebandit_1106_web.html

smc

Re: Bikes as getaway vehicles

Postby smc » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 2:04 pm

Mav wrote:Seems that bikes are now seen as alternatives to getaway cars :shock:

He may have lost his licence and didn't want to get caught driving illegally...

Mav

Postby Mav » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 2:15 pm

smc wrote:
Mav wrote:Seems that bikes are now seen as alternatives to getaway cars :shock:

He may have lost his licence and didn't want to get caught driving illegally...

Wonder if he stopped for red lights :lol:

Makes me think of that scene out of Seinfeld where George is trying to escape on an electric scooter from pensioners riding on their scooters :lol:

Dale E Grind

Postby Dale E Grind » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 3:05 pm

The bicycle is the prefered mode of transport for petty criminals in the US.

I recieve a daily google alert for "bicycle", and every day there is at least one attempt to escape by bicycle.

It also suggests that people using this of transport for this sort of thing could be from a marginalised background.

ghostgum

Postby ghostgum » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 4:05 pm

smc wrote:He may have lost his licence and didn't want to get caught driving illegally...

He may not have had enough money to own and run a car. Probably spent it all on illegal vegetable matter.

The police picked him up several hours later. That suggests that the robber was known to police.

Mikeyp

Postby Mikeyp » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 9:06 pm

ghostgum wrote:The police picked him up several hours later. That suggests that the robber was known to police.

Well having lived in Wangaratta, the road they caught him on has about 3 pubs in the space of about 200 metres, so he was probably getting rid of his hard earned.

Spoken4

Postby Spoken4 » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 9:11 pm

Was the getaway bike stolen and found burnt out some blocks away?

fraz

Postby fraz » Tue 13 Nov 2007, 11:13 pm

ISTR the Comm Bank in Wattletree Road East Malvern got turned over last year and the miscreant disappeared off up Gardiner's Creek Trail on his pushie.
http://www.police.vic.gov.au/content.asp?Document_ID=8254

wagger

Postby wagger » Wed 14 Nov 2007, 7:19 pm

as reported in today's HUN letters page: Was he wearing a helmet? safety first!!!!

a national australia bank branch on mountain highway boronia was roobed a couple of years ago and the guy got away on inline/ roller blades in his mother's dress.

only trouble is his mother owned a local business and was a regular at the bank and the staff knew the son/ robber so recognised him immediately... deerrrrr
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Sat 17 Nov 2007, 9:04 am

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Tue 06 Dec 2011, 2:50 pm

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2011-12-06/club-patrons-chase-down-cycling-armed-robber/3714902

Club patrons chase down cycling armed robber
Posted December 06, 2011 10:36:57

Loading...Map DataMap data ©2011 Europa Technologies, GBRMPA, Google, Whereis(R), Sensis Pty Ltd - Terms of UseMap Data
Map data ©2011 Europa Technologies, GBRMPA, Google, Whereis(R), Sensis Pty Ltd
Map
Map
Satellite
Terrain
45°
Labels
Map: Buff Point 2262
Patrons at a club on the New South Wales central coast have chased down a man who robbed the premises at knifepoint then tried to escape on a bicycle.

Police say the masked man walked into the soccer club on Millington Way at Buff Point shortly before 6:00pm (AEDT) yesterday.

He allegedly walked behind the bar and threatened two staff members with a knife before taking cash from the register.

Several patrons threw beer glasses at the man before he left the club and got on his bicycle.

The patrons then chased the man, tackled him and held him until officers arrived.

Police say they believe the man is responsible for a similar robbery of the same club in October.

The 23-year-old man has been charged with two counts of armed robbery.

He is being held in custody to face Wyong Local Court today.
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Mon 19 Mar 2012, 10:18 pm

*Not really Frosty

lekoshe

Postby lekoshe » Wed 21 Mar 2012, 8:41 am

Some policemen might be quicker than expected

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Thu 23 Aug 2012, 1:09 pm

http://www.mysuncoast.com/content/news/7SouthNews/story/Man-fleeing-with-stolen-TV-on-bike-crashes-into/kqbp3SP5HEazYq6xLfxjAA.cspx

Man fleeing with stolen TV on bike crashes into detective's vehicle

PORT CHARLOTTE, FL. - Charlotte County Sheriff's deputies arrested a man who stole a television in a box from Wal-Mart and fled with it on his bicycle. He was arrested when he crashed into the back of a detective’s vehicle

*Not really Frosty

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Sun 07 Oct 2012, 10:16 pm

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/10/04/drunk-b-c-man-burned-in-a-fire-hit-by-a-train-in-series-of-unfortunate-events/

Drunk B.C. man burned in a fire, hit by a train in series of unfortunate events

A Kamloops, B.C., man is recovering from what RCMP in that southern Interior city call a bizarre sequence of events, after he was burned in a grass fire and then hit by a train.

Staff Sgt. Grant Learned says the 51-year-old was drunk when he fell asleep Wednesday afternoon while smoking in the grassy area behind his Kamloops-area home.

Learned says the man woke to find his clothes on fire and flames around him, but rather than calling for help, he raced to his home, grabbed a bicycle and fled.

Mounties were responding to reports of a man running from the scene of a suspicious fire when they got another call that a pedestrian had been hit by a train along the nearby CP Rail tracks.

Police quickly determined that the two cases were linked, and say the man is now recovering in hospital from a gash to the head, caused by the train, and serious burns caused by the grass fire.

Learned says the man’s woes continue because it’s believed the bike was stolen, and he is also a possible suspect in a September assault on a Kamloops bus driver, but no charges have been laid in any of those cases.

*Not really Frosty

Return to “Cycling discussion”