Melbourne lockdown

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9545
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Canuck » Sun 02 Aug 2020, 6:04 pm

jvb wrote:
Heather wrote:Try this mapping feature to work out 5 km radius from home...we may all need it soon :roll:

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

It’s best on a desk top or iPad not phone. Fill in address and 5km then click “new circle” Also click “border only“ box top right.


I can still do the 1 in 20, as long as do it within an hour from home and back.
How will they check how long I've been riding though?

Probably by how far you are from home....

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 02 Aug 2020, 6:37 pm

jvb wrote:
Heather wrote:Try this mapping feature to work out 5 km radius from home...we may all need it soon :roll:

https://www.mapdevelopers.com/draw-circle-tool.php

It’s best on a desk top or iPad not phone. Fill in address and 5km then click “new circle” Also click “border only“ box top right.


I can still do the 1 in 20, as long as do it within an hour from home and back.
How will they check how long I've been riding though?


I suspect a bunch of strava rides will become private now.
Hopefully everyone does the right thing though.

User avatar
mtb101
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon 20 Mar 2006, 11:27 pm
Location: Any Single Track
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby mtb101 » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 1:18 pm

its a funny thing, I've gone from roadie laps as that was the most time efficient and least fatigue; to gravel - a bit more fun and now the mtb, in 1 hour I get hit up some tough urban park climbs. 6-8 hours of interval type riding per week will still keep you very fit. and have fun of course and stay within the rules, no complain here. 5 weeks to go and hopefully a decline in cases soon.
__________flow................___________

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9545
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Canuck » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 3:07 pm

mtb101 wrote:its a funny thing, I've gone from roadie laps as that was the most time efficient and least fatigue; to gravel - a bit more fun and now the mtb, in 1 hour I get hit up some tough urban park climbs. 6-8 hours of interval type riding per week will still keep you very fit. and have fun of course and stay within the rules, no complain here. 5 weeks to go and hopefully a decline in cases soon.

Yeah, I'm on the MTB most rides these days, either because I'm on the tagalong with it, or supervising the Boy solo, and it just works. Plus, started my solo rides on it because it's a harder ride for the time I have and landscapes I can traverse.

5 weeks to go, but really, most businesses just closed so it's just beginning to take effect. Let's hope there's a decline over the coming weeks.

I'm inundated with WFH stuff, childcare stuff, house stuff.... I remember from the first couple of weeks last lockdown, the first bit is the hardest, then you find a groove / catch up on some things and it flows better.

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9545
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Canuck » Fri 07 Aug 2020, 3:38 pm

The Reservoir 'burb ride is famous.... ;)

https://www.theage.com.au/national/victoria/tour-de-reservoir-burbing-cyclists-take-on-all-the-streets-they-can-20200805-p55iyl.html

Def watch the video in there that's linked in - he's awesome :lol: I recognise a lot of the areas after living in Reservoir for a long time.

User avatar
TrikeTragic
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri 28 Jul 2006, 2:29 pm
Location: Briar Hill or outer North East 'burbs
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby TrikeTragic » Sat 15 Aug 2020, 11:17 am

If I can't ride as far as I'd like, just have to ride more often....

Last good, long ride the Saturday before Stage 4 lockdown cut in - 48 km and a tad over three hours on a sparkling late winter day. Since then, I've been exploring routes that get me out 5 km, around another 5 km or so, then back within something close to Dan's hour of allowable daily exercise. Lucky that I have several ride route options, and that vehicle traffic is really quiet.

Until Thursday - COVID-19 test with life partner who has very mild symptoms, so isolating at home waiting for the test result. In all likelihood, it's just a mild cold, but no one wants to take that chance....Hopefully, we're out the woods on Monday (and I'm back on the road). 8-)

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9545
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Canuck » Sat 15 Aug 2020, 12:26 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:If I can't ride as far as I'd like, just have to ride more often....

Last good, long ride the Saturday before Stage 4 lockdown cut in - 48 km and a tad over three hours on a sparkling late winter day. Since then, I've been exploring routes that get me out 5 km, around another 5 km or so, then back within something close to Dan's hour of allowable daily exercise. Lucky that I have several ride route options, and that vehicle traffic is really quiet.

Until Thursday - COVID-19 test with life partner who has very mild symptoms, so isolating at home waiting for the test result. In all likelihood, it's just a mild cold, but no one wants to take that chance....Hopefully, we're out the woods on Monday (and I'm back on the road). 8-)

Cheers

I've been doing similar with the Boy tagalong and two wheeler rides - trying to get out more often, and exploring lots of different routes.

Good luck with the test outcome.

Matt1
Posts: 479
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Matt1 » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 6:47 am

I haven't done any recreational rides lately. The lack of interesting places to ride within 5 km of my abode coupled with the fact I prefer rides more than 1 hour long puts an end to non-utilitarian riding for me. My holidays are over for now and I probably won't have anymore for another 10 months, so hopefully restrictions will ease up a bit by then.

A sign of the times:
Image
Still posting. Still riding.

User avatar
TrikeTragic
Posts: 825
Joined: Fri 28 Jul 2006, 2:29 pm
Location: Briar Hill or outer North East 'burbs
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby TrikeTragic » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 10:35 am

^^^^^^^^
Can't help but notice - the new roadside rubbish 'de jour' are single use face mask (assuming their used....). Seems to be lots of them floating about.... :?

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

User avatar
jvb
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri 10 Nov 2006, 8:43 pm
Location: Looking down on the suburbs
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby jvb » Sun 16 Aug 2020, 10:56 am

We are lucky to live close enough to do the following rides:
the Wall, Monbulk - Olinda
(note: I don't think I can go all the way to Monbulk, but it is our closest Woolies so I can go shopping?)
1 in 20,
Perrins Creek Rd.
Sassafras Creek Rd / the Crescent,
the Tourist Rd, Montrose to Ferny Creek.
All the trails on the east and west side of Mount Dandenong.
and many more.

I walked up to Burkes Lookout a few times this week. It's very rare to be the only one there.

I've struggled with the 1 hour limit, particularly stopping to get a take away coffee.
But then getting take away is not part of the exercise routine is it? Or is it?

Mike.Ayling
Posts: 962
Joined: Fri 04 Nov 2005, 7:46 pm
Location: City of Whitehorse
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Mike.Ayling » Mon 17 Aug 2020, 8:58 am

jvb wrote:I've struggled with the 1 hour limit, particularly stopping to get a take away coffee.

But then getting take away is not part of the exercise routine is it? Or is it?


No, I don't think that that was the intention. The one hour window is meant for exercise!

Mike
Image
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 1970
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 17 Aug 2020, 1:25 pm

I'd rather use the 1 hour to be riding every last minute of it, rather than wasting it on getting a coffee.
It does help, having a decent machine at home - but even that broke down last week :lol: and I'm waiting for a part to fix it (giving it a crack fixing it myself).
Long live the Nanopress in the meantime. :)

User avatar
jvb
Posts: 645
Joined: Fri 10 Nov 2006, 8:43 pm
Location: Looking down on the suburbs
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby jvb » Mon 17 Aug 2020, 4:12 pm

Claude Cat wrote:I'd rather use the 1 hour to be riding every last minute of it, rather than wasting it on getting a coffee.
It does help, having a decent machine at home - but even that broke down last week :lol: and I'm waiting for a part to fix it (giving it a crack fixing it myself).
Long live the Nanopress in the meantime. :)


I suppose the 1 hour exercise should be used for exercise. Which is pretty much what we do.
But then you can get take away food, as long as it's local or within the 5km radius. That can be done on your bike as well. Or doing your grocery shopping once a day.
I have been going to Parkville for work a few times last week and saw plenty of riders commuting to work.
It was actually very busy in Princes and Royal Park.

User avatar
Tennisdude
Posts: 705
Joined: Wed 14 Jun 2006, 12:41 am
Location: This Is Serious Mum
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby Tennisdude » Fri 28 Aug 2020, 11:30 pm

I've ordered one of these Cycling trainer contraptions so I can go for a ride without leaving the house, will try it out with Zwift for some indoor rides... ;)

User avatar
mtb101
Posts: 2232
Joined: Mon 20 Mar 2006, 11:27 pm
Location: Any Single Track
Contact:

Re: Melbourne lockdown

Postby mtb101 » Sun 30 Aug 2020, 12:39 pm

what model you get?
__________flow................___________


Return to “Cycling discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot], Google [Bot] and 29 guests