Riders killed in Travancore & St Kilda rd Junction

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Claude Cat

Riders killed in Travancore & St Kilda rd Junction

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 18 Mar 2020, 1:51 pm

https://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/nation ... 54b6z.html

A cyclist has died following a collision with a truck in Travancore this morning.
It is believed the driver of a truck travelling south-east along Mount Alexander Road turned left into Mooltan Street and struck a cyclist just before 6am.
Last edited by Claude Cat on Wed 18 Mar 2020, 10:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Claude Cat

Re: Rider killed in Travancore

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 18 Mar 2020, 10:24 pm

And sadly another

St Kilda rd junction, it's a freaking nightmare for cyclists.

https://www.facebook.com/659831912/post ... 61913/?d=n

Wednesday, 18 March 2020 16:25

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal collision which occurred in St Kilda this afternoon.

Investigators have been told a cyclist and truck collided on St Kilda Road near Queens Road about 1.40pm.

The rider, believed to be a woman in her 20s, died at the scene.

Detectives from Major Collision Investigation Unit are currently on site and are speaking with the driver.

cyclotaur

Re: Riders killed in Travancore & St Kilda rd Junction

Postby cyclotaur » Thu 19 Mar 2020, 5:57 pm

I seem to remember Dan Andrews opposing more bike lanes, esp St Kilda Rd? :roll:

Also Tim Pallas when Minister for Transport ?
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Tue 12 May 2020, 9:56 am

Claude Cat wrote:And sadly another

St Kilda rd junction, it's a freaking nightmare for cyclists.

https://www.facebook.com/659831912/post ... 61913/?d=n

Wednesday, 18 March 2020 16:25

Police are investigating the circumstances surrounding a fatal collision which occurred in St Kilda this afternoon.

Investigators have been told a cyclist and truck collided on St Kilda Road near Queens Road about 1.40pm.

The rider, believed to be a woman in her 20s, died at the scene.

Detectives from Major Collision Investigation Unit are currently on site and are speaking with the driver.

That's awful to hear- my old office window used to overlook that on ramp and some of the near misses I witnessed between bikes and cars, and between cars and trucks was just scary. That whole lane down from Fitzroy St past Queens Rd is just a nightmare the way it splits the two busy car lanes. Really hope this prompts a review and redesign of it before someone else dies
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 12 May 2020, 6:55 pm

Gerry.M wrote:That's awful to hear- my old office window used to overlook that on ramp and some of the near misses I witnessed between bikes and cars, and between cars and trucks was just scary. That whole lane down from Fitzroy St past Queens Rd is just a nightmare the way it splits the two busy car lanes. Really hope this prompts a review and redesign of it before someone else dies

Yeh, I was in the old AIM building (now gone) for 10+ years, which is just 100m down from that intersection.
TBH the whole intersection is a major clusterfuck.
It's deadly for all users, there was that fatal with the motorbike around GP time 10 years back and several others that come to mind. One of the guys that worked for me was inches from death when he got T-boned by a red light runner there.
Short of a complete rework of the intersection, it's never going to change. I try and avoid it on the bike whenever I'm out that way.

Return to “Cycling discussion”