Closure of the Upfield Path in Coburg for 18 months and problems with the proposed detours

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Takver

Closure of the Upfield Path in Coburg for 18 months and problems with the proposed detours

Postby Takver » Fri 31 Jan 2020, 11:51 am

So the Upfield bike path is closing for 18 months from 6 February to mid 2021.
https://levelcrossings.vic.gov.au/disru ... th-closure

LXRP and VicRoads have done detours without any consultation with local cyclists.
The proposed detour routes fail to meet the needs of Upfield shared use path users:

* adds substantially more distance and time to north-south travel, and LXRP substantially underestimate this extra time.
    * adds additional cycling effort through change in elevation in comparison to the Upfield path.
    * increases risk of collisions/accidents between cyclists and vehicles at numerous intersections
    * increasees risk of accidents during poor light and at night, especially during commuting times in Winter
    * does not provide for range of users. Not a solution for those with low level of on-road cycling confidence
    * Public safety has not been adequately considered with these proposed detour routes.

This is not a recreational cycling path but caters to thousands of cyclists, including commuters, and other path users every day. The detours do not cater to all path users.
https://upfieldbikepath.wordpress.com/2 ... bike-path/

I have emailed the responsible Ministers on 13 January, the 3 State MPs, and LXRP. One response from Dr Tim Read (Brunswick) Nothing from anyone else.

So I asked some questions of Bicycle network in an email to the General Manager, Public Affairs and Marketing on 14 January 2020:

What consultation was done with Bicycle Network Officers, if any, on the Upfield Path detours?
What was recommended by BN officers to VicRoads and LXRP for the detours?
What is VicRoads doing to ensure the safety of a highly likely increased cyclist presence on Sydney Road from O'Hea street to Albion Street?
What is BN position and activity around the closure of the Upfield Path and detours?

I have now also requested to see the 'independant safety audit' on the proposed detour routes.

I am still waiting for an email response from Bicycle Network....but I gather the news article greenwashing the detours is my answer.

mtb101

Re: Closure of the Upfield Path in Coburg for 18 months and problems with the proposed detours

Postby mtb101 » Fri 31 Jan 2020, 3:53 pm

hey mate, you can get angry and expect the govt to do everything for you or you can move on, find your own route, plenty of quite roads that run parallel with the path.

I use Colebrook st etc, if you weave the back streets from parkville, no problems.

hopefully the future path will be better than what we have.

Put it out of your mind and enjoy your riding we are the most adapted species of all road users.
__________flow................___________

Takver

Re: Closure of the Upfield Path in Coburg for 18 months and problems with the proposed detours

Postby Takver » Sat 01 Feb 2020, 10:04 am

I'll be okay, a little bit inconvenienced. I have been riding on-road since 1973.
The problem is there is a substantial cohort of users of the Upfield Path who are do not have on-road confidence.

That is the problem that the proposed detours have failed to grapple with.

And the proposed detours for the 2.66km stretch are an extra 1.4km or 1.6km. More than most confident cyclists will deviate for.

Return to “Cycling discussion”