Cause I know you know...

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Sette Budini

Cause I know you know...

Postby Sette Budini » Wed 27 Nov 2019, 10:31 pm

Hi BV'ers, long time no post...
I had a "discussion" with an acquaintance (read: moron) today with whom I'm afraid I will need to continue to maintain an association.
The acquaintance is one of those who believe cycling is inherently dangerous, we are under regulated with not nearly enough mandated compulsory safety things (his example was compulsory fluoro tabards), and we don't pay for the roads.
My only reply will be to email him the "facts".
To save me from doing my own research, I just know you guys will probably have good articles on the following things bookmarked:
- the link between perceived danger and lower cyclist numbers
- lower cyclist numbers link to lower safety
- the old who/what pays for road infrastructure fallacy.

Help out a sister so I can spend more time riding and less time talking to morons!

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Cause I know you know...

Postby parawolf » Thu 28 Nov 2019, 8:52 am

Sette Budini wrote:Hi BV'ers, long time no post...
I had a "discussion" with an acquaintance (read: moron) today with whom I'm afraid I will need to continue to maintain an association.
The acquaintance is one of those who believe cycling is inherently dangerous, we are under regulated with not nearly enough mandated compulsory safety things (his example was compulsory fluoro tabards), and we don't pay for the roads.
My only reply will be to email him the "facts".
To save me from doing my own research, I just know you guys will probably have good articles on the following things bookmarked:
- the link between perceived danger and lower cyclist numbers
- lower cyclist numbers link to lower safety
- the old who/what pays for road infrastructure fallacy.

Help out a sister so I can spend more time riding and less time talking to morons!

Woah... and I thought me coming back was a blast from the past.... :D

others have more facts on hand no doubt than what I would
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Thu 28 Nov 2019, 2:14 pm

welcome back ...really no point trying to defend cycling, the obese, lazy, unhealthy, ignorant, car addicted whatever can't be convinced as it would require a complete paradigm shift in who they are, like trying to convince an illiterate person about global warming it aren't going to happen.

I generally say you're right and smile. of course more people died on the couch today you know as my parting comments.
__________flow................___________

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 28 Nov 2019, 3:11 pm

^ this.
Besides as Mark Twain would say "Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
They clearly have ridiculous views and you aren't going to budge them.

Sette Budini

Postby Sette Budini » Thu 28 Nov 2019, 9:24 pm

Yeah, I know... If you wrestle with a pig, you both get covered in ****, only the pig enjoys it.
But... I know the truth is there and a tiny optimistic part of me thinks he might just read anything I send his way.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Wed 04 Dec 2019, 2:37 pm

Hi Sette,

someone on twitter pointed me to this link the other day, and although it's from NZ still makes the same points we should make to these types of "friends":
http://cyclingchristchurch.co.nz/urban- ... f-cycling/

Hope that helps to re-educate them :)
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Helen

Postby Helen » Thu 05 Dec 2019, 9:37 am

Remember that person using the online nic Riddley Walker who used to comment on a lot of bike related threads on msm articles? I'll try to chase him down. He was an indefatigable arguer and I believe he was intending to collate his stuff somewhere.
that blog post above is great, it also links to this

https://cyclingfallacies.com/en/

I'd also recommend Bikesnobnyc - you'd have to sift through his posts but he has done some excellent ones

https://bikesnobnyc.blogspot.com/
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Return to “Cycling discussion”