Jacka Blvd ped death

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
rat'n'bat

Jacka Blvd ped death

Postby rat'n'bat » Sat 25 May 2019, 2:09 pm

Far be it for a Melbourne daily newspaper to get it wrong, but has anybody got any idea what the speed limit is along Jacka Blvd? I don't think I've ever seen a sign saying it's 40 - and if it was I might suggest setting up a speed camera there would be one of the more profitable locations ever

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 51qxo.html

BjL73

Re: Jacka Blvd ped death

Postby BjL73 » Sat 25 May 2019, 3:44 pm

rat'n'bat wrote:Far be it for a Melbourne daily newspaper to get it wrong, but has anybody got any idea what the speed limit is along Jacka Blvd? I don't think I've ever seen a sign saying it's 40 - and if it was I might suggest setting up a speed camera there would be one of the more profitable locations ever

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 51qxo.html

I just checked Google maps and while it may be out of date, the nearest speed limit sign I can see is '60'. It could possibly be 50 but there's no way it would be 40kph along there and even it by some chance it was, saying the cyclist was doing '40.9kph' is clutching at straws. Even motorists get a 3kph tolerance and they complain about that being unfair.

It also states that traffic was "stopped and solid" on both sides for "some distance", however there is a bike lane which would have allowed the cyclist access and given the heavy traffic and overly large size of motor vehicles these days, the cyclist's view of the crossing may have been impeded. He might have seen the lights change to green and thought it was clear, not that that's an excuse.

And so with exactly the same respect motorists give killed cyclists and their families, perhaps if pedestrians had to wear helmets, he might have been okay. Just saying.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 27 May 2019, 12:30 pm

The Age has been desperate to blame the cyclist in this case. They got it wrong in the first case (when first reported), and never retracted their stance, and now they are at it again.
It’s a 60 kph zone as far a I know, not that the cyclist was likely to be near that in heavy traffic.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Fri 31 May 2019, 8:56 am

It is very interesting how the article focuses on things that wouldn't be given a second thought if it were a driver instead of a cyclist. Why aren't similar motorist/pedestrian deaths given similar scrutiny?

The pedestrian signal had been red for 74 seconds (more than a minute).

0.9 km/h over the speed limit (highly arguable whether the rider was actually going at that speed, by himself, in heavy traffic).

Compulsory registration for bicycles. (How in any way, shape or form would that have prevented this or changed the outcome, particularly given the rider stayed at the scene?)

rat'n'bat

Postby rat'n'bat » Fri 31 May 2019, 11:23 am

Daicos Mullets wrote:It is very interesting how the article focuses on things that wouldn't be given a second thought if it were a driver instead of a cyclist. Why aren't similar motorist/pedestrian deaths given similar scrutiny?

The pedestrian signal had been red for 74 seconds (more than a minute).

0.9 km/h over the speed limit (highly arguable whether the rider was actually going at that speed, by himself, in heavy traffic).

Compulsory registration for bicycles. (How in any way, shape or form would that have prevented this or changed the outcome, particularly given the rider stayed at the scene?)

Agree with what you say

I reckon we can all imagine what happened
• Traffic stopped and banked back
• Ped crosses against the red light as the cars were stopped, but didn’t notice the lane of traffic (bike lane) that had moving traffic (a bike) in it.

But it mentions 40.9 as being over the limit – when even without offering the 3kph tolerance which everybody gets, it isn’t actually over the limit. It is clearly marked as 60 on that stretch of road

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 31 May 2019, 12:29 pm

The Age is just trying to justify it's previous ridiculous position.
I feel sorry for the victims family, but really he has nobody else but himself to blame.
Notwithstanding The Age doing it's best to blame the cyclist.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Fri 31 May 2019, 3:09 pm

I agree with rat'n'bat. It sounds like the traffic was banked up and created blind spots for the cyclist and pedestrian. Neither one took appropriate action to attenuate the problem. If you are walking between cars then it is good to look before stepping out. If you are riding close to blind spots then slow down to give yourself time to stop if someone does step out. It is not a matter of blame.
Still posting. Still riding.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 01 Jun 2019, 10:22 am

rat'n'bat wrote:Far be it for a Melbourne daily newspaper to get it wrong, but has anybody got any idea what the speed limit is along Jacka Blvd? I don't think I've ever seen a sign saying it's 40 - and if it was I might suggest setting up a speed camera there would be one of the more profitable locations ever

40 km/h limits apply in school zones some 24/7 not just before and after school times.
Was there a school nearby?

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

rat'n'bat

Postby rat'n'bat » Sat 01 Jun 2019, 2:40 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:

40 km/h limits apply in school zones some 24/7 not just before and after school times.
Was there a school nearby?

Mike

Nope - it's definitely 60

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 02 Jun 2019, 1:01 pm

Definitely 60. Checked it again yesterday, there's no 40 zone anywhere near this (other than Fitzroy st).

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Wed 26 Jun 2019, 8:56 am

A further article from The Age.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/vict ... 5213t.html

They've now changed it to "cyclist Jarel Remick was travelling at up to 40km/h in a 60km/h bicycle lane".

Return to “Cycling discussion”