Clipless Pedals and Cycling Shoes

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Clipless Pedals and Cycling Shoes

Postby Snuffy » Wed 13 Sep 2017, 8:29 am

Toyopet wrote:
WarPuzzle wrote:.......EDIT: Also, I'm thinking of entering into the cycling club at the bottom of my street, so would it be worth it to get a bit more expensive shoes and pedals for more aero-dynamicness?

I reckon it's 'snake oil'.
Marginal Gains, if you're chasing them, can be found more easily and cheaply in areas other than shoes and pedals.

I disagree... but only slightly.... and only because I'm assuming you don't have any cycling shoes and need to buy some anyway.

You're going to get better value aero gains by wearing a cheap pair of shoe covers. HOWEVER, spending a few dollars extra MIGHT be good value in reducing rotating weight, depending on what price point you're looking at.

For example - Assuming you're spending the money on new shoes anyway, the price difference between a 300gram base model shoe and a 250gram mid range shoe is usually not a whole lot of $. While the price difference between a 250gram mid range shoe and a 225gram top end shoe, is usually fairly substantial.

On a dollar per gram basis and the incremental price difference, the mid-range shoe could present a pretty strong case. Also, given that this is rotating weight, it's also definitely better dollars-per-gram than spending the same coin upgrading a satic part (like say handlebars) you already have.

That said - for a noob, you're going to get FAR bigger gains by doing more races and working on your racecraft.
Reaching new levels of softness!

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:25 am

Magnus tG wrote:
Snuffy wrote:
GreenAlias wrote:The Shimano "egg beater" pedals

The what now?? :?: :?:

............ I think he means the Crank brothers eggbeater pedals ............

Errr; Sorry, I got confused. I meant the Shimano SPD pedals.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:48 am

WarPuzzle wrote:EDIT: Also, I'm thinking of entering into the cycling club at the bottom of my street, so would it be worth it to get a bit more expensive shoes and pedals for more aero-dynamicness?

First and foremost for cycling is pick shoes that are comfortable, suit the pedals you are using. Nothing worse than sore feet that develop over a 100km ride when you are 20+km from home.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 13 Sep 2017, 9:58 am

Snuffy wrote: .......... - Assuming you're spending the money on new shoes anyway, the price difference between a 300gram base model shoe and a 250gram mid range shoe is usually not a whole lot of $. While the price difference between a 250gram mid range shoe and a 225gram top end shoe, is usually fairly substantial.

On a dollar per gram basis and the incremental price difference, the mid-range shoe could present a pretty strong case. Also, given that this is rotating weight, it's also definitely better dollars-per-gram than spending the same coin upgrading a static part ......

I agree with Snuffy. The mid-range shoes offer the best value for money.

As a general rule, the benefits to be gained from shoes & pedals are greatly over-stated. As Toyopet said - pure snake oil.

FWIW - my personal experience is that I have 3 pairs of shoes. One pair basic entry-level heavier lace-up touring shoes. One pair middle of the mid-range shoes and one pair lighter more expensive upper end of the mid-range shoes. I have used all three pairs on 4 different bikes and my conclusion is that when riding it doesn't make any noticeable difference.

I accept that if you spend big bucks on very lightweight carbon shoes you will notice a benefit - but this will be a very low percentage and will pale into insignificance compared to the gains that can be made by strengthening your leg muscles. Remember also that professional and racing cyclists derive more benefit from cleats than what recreational cyclists do

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 8:57 am

Snuffy wrote: ........ the price difference between a 300gram base model shoe and a 250gram mid range shoe is usually not a whole lot of $. While the price difference between a 250gram mid range shoe and a 225gram top end shoe, is usually fairly substantial .......

Hi Snuffy, I was most intrigued by the weights quoted in your post so I carefully weighed my own shoes - only to find that they are all substantially heavier than those figures - namely, 445g, 458g & 520g. Now this may be due to the fact that they are older, have cleats & screws added, plus a liberal coating of dirt?

Have you ever weighed your own shoes? Where did you get those weights from? Are the shoes produced in the last 2-3 years that much lighter? Can you give me an example (make, model) of a shoe that weighs 250g?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 10:20 am

Bont Riots - 280g (I have these)
http://www.bontcycling.com/products/roa ... index.html

Bont Vaypor S - 230g
http://www.bontcycling.com/products/roa ... index.html

Shimano RP1 - 255g
http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... 006rp1.php

Shimano RP9 - 224g
http://www.shimano-lifestylegear.com/gl ... ontentsPro

Not an uncommon weight range

- Add cleats, which off the top of my head are between 50-100g (although that might be per pair)
- Add some dirt
- Add a few grams if you wear a bigger size than the benchmark they measure (EUR42 seems to be Shimano's benchmark)
- Add a few grams for the fact that cycling shoe manufacturers lie about size, so you size up a bit more, which weighs even more
- And add the fact that like shoe size, they probably also lie a bit about weight of the benchmark shoe that they measure

So I'm not massively surprised you'd be measuring +400 grams.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 3:25 pm

Snuffy wrote:Bont Riots - 280g (I have these) http://www.bontcycling.com/products/roa ... index.html

Do you have a good set of scales that you could weigh these on?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 18 Sep 2017, 12:42 pm

GreenAlias wrote:
Snuffy wrote:Bont Riots - 280g (I have these) http://www.bontcycling.com/products/roa ... index.html

Do you have a good set of scales that you could weigh these on?

Not sure if they're "good", but I'll see what the digital kitchen scales say.....

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 4:47 am

Finally got around to weighing my shoes

328g including a SH12 cleat in size EUR44

Seems reasonable

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 8:39 am

Snuffy wrote:Finally got around to weighing my shoes 328g including a SH12 cleat in size EUR44 Seems reasonable

Hi Snuffy, thanks for doing that. Looks like my shoes are "heavy". Does N = N + 1 also apply to shoes?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:03 am

GreenAlias wrote:Does N = N + 1 also apply to shoes?

I have twice as many pairs of shoes as my wife, sooooooo I won't say too much on this topic ;)

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 9:44 am

Snuffy wrote:
GreenAlias wrote:Does N = N + 1 also apply to shoes?

I have twice as many pairs of shoes as my wife, sooooooo I won't say too much on this topic ;)

I've got so many running shoes in various states of decline... Cycling shoes, few and far between. I tend to find ones that are at least suitable and then wear them to DEATH and beyond...

WarPuzzle

Postby WarPuzzle » Fri 22 Sep 2017, 6:38 pm

I've decided to get SPS-SL shoes, cleats and pedals as a starter. Thanks everyone!

Return to “Cycling discussion”