First magpie attack of the 2017 season

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Ghislain

First magpie attack of the 2017 season

Postby Ghislain » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 5:59 pm

Riding through Summerfield Park, Glen Iris. Went for me, then for my 5yo.

In August! Must be global warming.

Toyopet

Re: First magpie attack of the 2017 season

Postby Toyopet » Sat 12 Aug 2017, 10:37 pm

The globe is even warmer!

Saw a rider get swooped about 10m in front of me over a week ago, back on 2nd August. This was in the outer south-east suburbs.

Not a serious swoop though. No contact made. Just a practice swoop I guess.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sun 13 Aug 2017, 8:28 pm

YES, they have definitely started. Got swooped on the Warby trail on Thursday 10th & today (13th) in a few different locations on the Yea-Alexandra trail. Hopefully, an early start MIGHT mean an early end?

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 7:39 am

Ghislain wrote:Riding through Summerfield Park, Glen Iris. Went for me, then for my 5yo. In August! Must be global warming.

Yes, they are early this year. Normally they don't start until very late in August or early September.

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/sto ... ing-early/

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 20 Aug 2017, 8:35 pm

Had read this thread without much thought, as I haven't been swooped in years - then on a ride to work today (overtime...) around the McCrae/Macartney/Purinuan intersection just near Ruthven station..... Whoosh! I heard it, but really, I saw its shadow first. Nowhere near making contact.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 6:50 pm

On the sunny Gold Coast.
At the back of the Sheraton on the gravel Federation Walk, I was swooped by 'Maggie' see photo below.
It hit my helmet 5 times before resting in a tree, I photographed Maggie and then it swooped and hit my helmet another 8 times.
A total of 13 times, my current record. There was no damage to me and none to Maggie.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 8:59 am

Rode the Yea to Alexandra trail yesterday. All the riders in the group commented that they had never seen so many magpies on one ride before. Some of them were most persistent making multiple swoops at several riders. Fortunately, no injuries or mishaps - just a nuisance.

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 11:00 am

Hi Grenalias, what condition is the track, gravel? sealed?

Would appreciate your insight.

Cheers

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 1:41 pm

ludlow wrote:Hi Grenalias, what condition is the track, gravel? sealed? Would appreciate your insight.

All of the trail (from Tallarook to Mansfield and the "side" trail to Alexandra) is gravel. When it was first opened about 5-6 years ago it was very rough. However, in the years since there has been a lot of work done to improve the surface to the point now where it is very good indeed.

In the early years you really needed a dual-suspension MTB with big fat knobbies. A couple of years ago you really needed a CX or gravel bike - a road bike would not have coped well. Yesterday it was so smooth that a road bike would have been comfortable.

However, it's not in uniform condition all the way and the Mansfield end still needs more work. Some parts cope well with rain but some other parts get very boggy in the wet. In the mid-summer you should expect daytime temperatures over 35C. Overall, I'm very impressed at the huge amount of work that has been put in to improve this trail to such a good standard.

A CX bike with 32-35mm tyres would be ideal. A road bike with 28mm tyres will cope OK. A MTB will be very comfortable indeed.

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Mon 25 Sep 2017, 7:49 pm

Ok thanks for the very good report and advise.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:57 pm

ludlow wrote:Hi Grenalias, what condition is the track, gravel? sealed?

Would appreciate your insight.

Cheers

Rode the gravel track between Yea and nearly to Mansfield as part of a "around lake elidon" ride in April last year (https://www.strava.com/activities/554947220).
This was on the Domane, with 28mm tyres. Easily averaged close to 30kph, the surface is very good with few ruts. I wouldn't hesitate with a road bike on it, but I guess it depends upon your comfort level riding gravel with narrower tyres.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 7:42 am

The good news is that because a lot of magpies started breeding early this year we can now look forward to an early end of the divebombing season. The ones that started bombing in August have now finished.

However, be aware that not all magpies started early and any who started at the usual time will continue divebombing until end of October or early November. Another 2-3 weeks to go.

victor

Postby victor » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 7:55 am

I've never been attacked by a magpie on my commute from work, and I've been using the same route for 6 years now. I don't know why, the but MYT and KCT that I ride, even though it's surrounded by bushes and trees, never seems to contain magpies (or at least, not aggressive ones).

As for the commute to work, since I do it between 5 and 6am, the magpies are still asleep.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 12 Oct 2017, 11:09 am

Last few times I rode through, the one near Ruthven station was MIA. Maybe it is done for the season. Or worse. Either way, have not been riding looking behind me and waving my arm like a maniac as he approaches! The ones along that stretch have usually been pretty good in the past, ignoring riders.

Return to “Cycling discussion”