Melbournes worst bike paths

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Heather

Re: Melbournes worst bike paths

Postby Heather » Sat 08 Apr 2017, 12:26 pm

Toyopet wrote:As per many of the above comments, Upfield Bike Path gets my vote for the worst - way too narrow.
This has caused accidents between oncoming riders.
I'd rather ride Sydney Road.

I've been hit by a car on the Upfield bike path...yes the bike path :evil: :evil:
And doored on Sydney Road...just can't win :x
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Philip

Postby Philip » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 9:13 am

Concur with the Belgrave Rail Trail. The wayfinding is awful and the path surface is terrible, especially east of Bayswater (http://philipmallis.com/blog/2017/02/17 ... th-balwyn/).

I would also add:
  • Main Yarra Trail between Roseneath Street and Pipe Bridge (including the bridge)
  • Metro Ring Road Trail near Gowanbrae
  • Main Yarra Trail on the north side of the Yarra River (opposite Southbank)
Philip Mallis
Ex-Boroondara councillor
Boroondara BUG member
Views my own

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 10:48 am

Philip wrote:Concur with the Belgrave Rail Trail. The wayfinding is awful and the path surface is terrible, especially east of Bayswater (http://philipmallis.com/blog/2017/02/17 ... th-balwyn/).

There is a shared path bridge about a 100 metres north of Mountain Hwy that was built as part of the grade separation. At the time of your blog, it was sometimes open to the public, sometimes not depending on what works was going on. It will be clear once the path is completely open as the section that goes behind the station feeds directly onto this bridge.

Up further, a bridge over Burwood Hwy alongside the railway line to link up the path properly might be a good idea. A ramp to take out the steep pinch at Upwey might be nice along with a bridge on the upper side of Upwey to remove the dangerous road crossing which is blind heading towards Belgrave. And resurface the entire path. And replace the bridge in Ferntree Gully. I'm scared it will fall down one day and the gaps between the boards are so wide now I have to watch where my dog walks.

Next rant is across the board.

The shortsightedness shown by governments and councils is staggering. Philip mentioned the Ringwood - Boxhill path in your blog. Have shared path facilities been installed at all the level crossing removals that have been built over the last few years? Or do cyclists have to stop at every road crossing for lights? They probably won't even bother having bicycle lights so legally you have to get off and push your bike over the crossing. So many shared paths where bicycle lights have just been 'omitted' because it's cheaper to put up shared path 'end' signs before every road. Someone needs to do an audit of all the bicycle and shared paths in Melbourne and list all the crossings where bicycle lights are needed.

As some have already mentioned, many of the problems lie in the fact that many shared paths were originally footpaths which have been reclassified for shared use. Many are not suitable at all for shared use. Many have power poles and other crap smack bang in the middle of them. If you're going to do something, at least try to do it properly. Sick of half arsed efforts. I'd hate to say it, but when it comes to shared paths in Melbourne, nothing is sometimes better than something.

My understanding is that the state government (either directly or through VicRoads) provides funding for shared paths but it's up to councils to maintain them. In the outer east, that comprises of letting shared paths fall into a state of complete disrepair (subjecting users to substandard and possibly dangerous infrastructure for decades) until the councils can convince the government to give them another grant for major repairs and reconstruction. If only councils would do their job and maintain public infrastructure in the first place. :evil:

ridinwithdale

Postby ridinwithdale » Mon 10 Apr 2017, 11:57 pm

BjL73 wrote:
Philip wrote:Concur with the Belgrave Rail Trail. The wayfinding is awful and the path surface is terrible, especially east of Bayswater (http://philipmallis.com/blog/2017/02/17 ... th-balwyn/).

There is a shared path bridge about a 100 metres north of Mountain Hwy that was built as part of the grade separation. At the time of your blog, it was sometimes open to the public, sometimes not depending on what works was going on. It will be clear once the path is completely open as the section that goes behind the station feeds directly onto this bridge......snip snip :evil:

from what i saw at bayswater last week, the path is open with the old link back down to the dandenong creek trail now including a diagonal bridge across the railway at the top of the rise, where it then passes underneath mountain highway. the path continues undet the overhead access to the island platforms and emerges at the scoresby road and power rd intersection where it resumes its old but improved path....hope this is helpful

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Tue 11 Apr 2017, 2:09 pm

ridinwithdale wrote: ........ from what i saw at bayswater last week, the path is open with the old link back down to the dandenong creek trail now including a diagonal bridge across the railway at the top of the rise, where it then passes underneath mountain highway. the path continues undet the overhead access to the island platforms and emerges at the scoresby road and power rd intersection where it resumes its old but improved path....hope this is helpful

Hi Dale, thanks for the heads-up. Yes, it was helpful. Went there today to have a look & ride through. Yes, it really is a significantly more convenient way to get through Bayswater. Pity we can't give the intersection at Dorset & Boronia Roads the same treatment - but, one step at a time - every small improvement deserves gratitude :mrgreen:

bmc

Postby bmc » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 6:46 pm

Main Yarra trail in Heidelberg outside the greenery what an absolute joke looks like it was laid 40 years ago surface condition is harsh even on a mtb this this lies within banyule council

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 10:38 pm

Anywhere there's this sh!t:
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 11:39 am

^ I hate the materials they use; very slick in the wet. Surely there is something better they could use.

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 12:07 pm

I am surprised that the slippery ones are acceptable to the blind. When wet, they are tricky to manage.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Thu 20 Apr 2017, 12:27 pm

I agree completely. There is no place for that stuff on any bikepath.

BellfieldBike

Postby BellfieldBike » Fri 12 May 2017, 6:02 pm

Upfield park path I am sure has been mentioned - only used it for the first time as trying a different way to work, shall go back to the Merri Creek (yet lots of path and drain works happening at the moment) Darebin is frustrating at times but getting better heading city bound, north bound it has its patches thats for sure.

Was never much of a bike path rider until I got knocked off my bike at the start of the year, nerves have me using them more often and noticed they aren't as bad or frustrating as I thought.

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 15 May 2017, 9:20 am

The 'bike lane' through the Eel Trap bridge at Southbank. That's not so much a bike path as a practical joke or a deliberate 'up yours' to cyclists.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 15 May 2017, 10:08 am

Helen wrote:The 'bike lane' through the Eel Trap bridge at Southbank. That's not so much a bike path as a practical joke or a deliberate 'up yours' to cyclists.

Jim Stynes Bridge on the Northside - so much better, combined, with the bridge right near Polly Woodside

But in the same vicinity: lorimer street "shared" path on the Southside, or on the wooden planks along "Yarras edge". Many local apartment dwellers (including Neil Mitchell) have abused me for riding up high (even at granny speed) near the apartment buildings and expect cyclists to ride on the lower "rickety" wooden planks
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 16 May 2017, 9:35 pm

[quote="wagger"][quote="Helen"]The 'bike lane' through the Eel Trap bridge at Southbank. That's not so much a bike path as a practical joke or a deliberate 'up yours' to cyclists.[/quote]

Jim Stynes Bridge on the Northside - so much better, combined, with the bridge right near Polly Woodside

But in the same vicinity: lorimer street "shared" path on the Southside, or on the wooden planks along "Yarras edge". Many local apartment dwellers (including Neil Mitchell) have abused me for riding up high (even at granny speed) near the apartment buildings and expect cyclists to ride on the lower "rickety" wooden planks[/quote]

Now that the apartment works have finished on Lorimer St, I tried to ride all the way along the on-road bike lane to it's end with Wurundjeri Way & found that heaps faster. Sure you might need to climb the curb & footpath roll to dodge the red light for left turning traffic into Wurundjeri Way, but it's a far sight better than riding the 'boards along the waterfront & Eel trap bridge.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Helen

Postby Helen » Wed 17 May 2017, 10:20 am

There's a hazard on Southbank paths that no one has mentioned - BRIDES.
Anyone have to divert from the metal path onto the wood slats next to the Marina because the path is completely taken up by a billowing white bride?
And coming down that awful Eel Trap - which I naturally negotiate very slooooowly - once there was a Bride in the way there, walking down via what they laughingly call the "bike path" with the cameraman walking backwards ahead of them.
I think a soft "Dude, Really??!" may have escaped my lips.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Return to “Cycling discussion”