Merri Bridge petition

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Riddley

Merri Bridge petition

Postby Riddley » Fri 18 Sep 2015, 7:57 pm

sum tyms bytin, sum tyms bit

peletor

Re: Merri Bridge petition

Postby peletor » Sat 19 Sep 2015, 11:51 am

I swear I saw a petition about this a few months ago. It's a very good idea, it will create a direct route from sydney to High Street. Some smart councillor should rename it 'east west link'

Alister1

Postby Alister1 » Tue 22 Sep 2015, 11:47 am

I like the idea, however has anyone looked at the contours and the high tension power lines? If the bridge is built at the level of Beavers Rd and Kingfisher Gardens the bridge deck will be way to close to the power cables, also the distance between the roads is 160+ Mts and will cost millions. Alternatively a lower level bridge will have to negotiate the steep bank on the Northcote side and I doubt the Water authority will be happy with more structure on the flood plan.

Sorry on a purely ROI bases I would rather see Darebin spend the money on upgrading St Georges Rd
Alister
Join a BUG - make a difference

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Tue 22 Sep 2015, 1:27 pm

I have a feeling the council responded a few months ago, basically along the lines that, due to the steepness of the banks/approach, a high level bridge would be required, which would be very expensive and couldn't be justified, because there's a usable bridge just south at Arthurton Rd.

Edit: just found this article from June.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/nort ... 7420139078

For what it's worth, I think it would be an excellent idea, but I don't see it happening.

peletor

Postby peletor » Tue 22 Sep 2015, 9:56 pm

1m isn't too expensive, divided by two councils and with some developer contribution. Ceres should run a fundraiser drive to get some money for the project too!

Alister1

Postby Alister1 » Mon 28 Sep 2015, 12:11 pm

1m isn't too expensive, divided by two councils and with some developer contribution. Ceres should run a fundraiser drive to get some money for the project too!

It is not just the roar Dollar figure it is about cost per user, then compare that to other projects. The redevelopment of StGeorges Rd shared path will be about $400+ a metre or a bit over $1 million between Merrie Pde and Miller St and used by 2,000 cyclist a day. Sorry I don't think a million or more for a bridge will cut it, particularly when the Government bike budget is a poultry $17 Million a year.
Alister

peletor

Postby peletor » Mon 28 Sep 2015, 6:00 pm

Alister1 wrote:

It is not just the roar Dollar figure it is about cost per user, then compare that to other projects. The redevelopment of StGeorges Rd shared path will be about $400+ a metre or a bit over $1 million between Merrie Pde and Miller St and used by 2,000 cyclist a day. Sorry I don't think a million or more for a bridge will cut it, particularly when the Government bike budget is a poultry $17 Million a year.

How many more users will there be because of the redevelopment though? I bet if you compare there will be more people using this bridge than the induced demand created by the Merri upgrade.

Different councils so it is apples and oranges, still I think this shows that it is within the financial grasp of a council if they should choose to prioritise it. In the context of a complete EW link I think that's worth doing, but I suspect since it only links one councils residents to another and nothing within council boundary it will be a hard sell.

Alister1

Postby Alister1 » Tue 29 Sep 2015, 4:26 pm

peletor wrote:
Alister1 wrote:

How many more users will there be because of the redevelopment though? I bet if you compare there will be more people using this bridge than the induced demand created by the Merri upgrade.

Different councils so it is apples and oranges, still I think this shows that it is within the financial grasp of a council if they should choose to prioritise it. In the context of a complete EW link I think that's worth doing, but I suspect since it only links one councils residents to another and nothing within council boundary it will be a hard sell.

A very hard sell, as councils active transport budgets are measured in hundreds of thousands. This sort of infrastructure will come out of the State grants pool and that takes years look at the 20 years to get the Darebin Yarra link. Boroondara have been trying to have an underpass at Belford Rd on the Yarra trail funded for 5 years as the hill has caused accidents. The list goes on and on.

Darebin only just completed the shared path along Normandy from Mayer Pk to the Merrie Creek this month.
Alister

Return to “Cycling discussion”