Banning bikes form CBD streets

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Riddley

Banning bikes form CBD streets

Postby Riddley » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:12 am

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/victor ... 7443443739

Get on and comment, please the haters will have a field day with this
sum tyms bytin, sum tyms bit

Marx

Re: Banning bikes from CBD streets

Postby Marx » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:29 am

"Premium article" apparently.
I am not worthy.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Mike.Ayling

Re: Banning bikes form CBD streets

Postby Mike.Ayling » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:51 am

Vic Roads
60 Denmark Street
Kew VIC 3101

Dear Mr Roads

The proposal by the Lord mayor, Mr Robert Doyle to ban cyclists from Flinders Street, Lonsdale Street and King Street is without merit.
There should be more bicycles and less motor vehicles in the CBD.

However if you should decide to implement this ill considered proposal I suggest that as a quid pro quo Flinders Lane and Little Lonsdale Street be closed to motor vehicles between the hours of 7AM and 7PM and made a two way cyclists only road.

Mike Ayling
XXX XXXX XX
Forest Hill Vic 3131

CC Robert Doyle
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

Matt1

Re: Banning bikes from CBD streets

Postby Matt1 » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 8:00 am

Marx wrote:"Premium article" apparently.
I am not worthy.

Try this thread:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=27999
Kichizi kama ndizi

peletor

Postby peletor » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 8:49 am

King Street? Meh, whatever.

Lonsdale? You paid for separated bicycle lanes on Albert Street and then the recent upgrades to spring street provided no way to get from there to Latrobe. How exactly am I supposed to avoid lonsdale?

And Flinders is part of the principle bicycle network. Build a proper northside river cycling path and I'll happily cede Flinders Street.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 10:08 am

Doyle has already backed down from his on-air comments.
In welcome news, Lord Mayor Robert Doyle has backed down on radio this morning from his bold proposal to 'ban bikes' on three major Melbourne streets (see the story here: Herald Sun & The Age).

Bicycle Network's General Manager of Government and External Relations Chris Carpenter said that any talk of banning bikes is a dead end street.

“The Council has previously agreed that Flinders Street should be a priority bicycle route. So this shift in view by the Lord Mayor is quite odd," Mr Carpenter said.

“The Lord Mayor should be talking about where bikes are encouraged and prioritised.

“Of course there are some streets that are better to ride on than others. But what we want to see is all major cities across the nation support liveability and active travel.

“Few riders like riding on King and Lonsdale streets anyway. But until there is a complete bike network into the CBD, some riders are left without a choice."

Bicycle Network seeks to work with the City of Melbourne on improving the bike riding environment. Banning bike riders on specific streets would be an unprecedented move and would set Melbourne and Victoria back years in terms of liveability.

To quote Melbourne's Lord Mayor himself, “No great city in the world is trying to bring more cars into the centre,”….

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/general/media/3531/

Helen

Postby Helen » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 1:31 pm

Please everyone, hop on and click "No" to their poll

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/lord- ... 716-gidcan
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 4:43 pm

The comments section contains the usual glory of mouth-breathing idiots, with at least some rational responses as well.

What does surprise me is that the premier seems to be on board with the idea.

"Premier Daniel Andrews said the idea was an important debate the community needed to have.

He said the lord mayor "has started a community debate ... where we can talk frankly about some streets in our city that simply aren't safe" for cyclists.

"This is not about being anti-cyclists. In fact, I can't think of anything more pro-cyclists than doing everything you can to keep cyclists safe."

Mr Andrews said the proposal may well be implemented on roads other than those suggested by the lord mayor, or it could be applied for only some parts of the day."

Would people accept this if corresponding streets, e.g. William St, Exhibition St, Collins St, La Trobe St were closed to cars, or at least had proper, fully separated bike lanes built along them? I don't mean the current piece-meal effort along La Trobe St or the non-separated one along William St.

Doyle's suggestion does highlight the ludicrousness of the disconnected Albert St bike lane, when it should logically connect to Lonsdale St.

Atomic Kitten

Postby Atomic Kitten » Thu 16 Jul 2015, 7:16 pm

This is not about being anti-cyclists. In fact, I can't think of anything more pro-cyclists than doing everything you can to keep cyclists off the road.

Orwell's 1984 becomes more and more real every day.

gfinkelde

Postby gfinkelde » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 8:43 am

We're obviosuly thinking about this the wrong way. It would clearly follow that anytime a person is killed or injured in a car, then that road is automatically unsafe for people in 2 tonnes of metal, and therefore cars should be bannedfrom travelling down there. They are just trying to create a cycling utopia - by default!!

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 9:13 am

It just beggars belief and I'm so disappointed in Daniel Andrews. What a numpty. :(
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Fri 17 Jul 2015, 10:28 am

gfinkelde wrote:We're obviosuly thinking about this the wrong way. It would clearly follow that anytime a person is killed or injured in a car, then that road is automatically unsafe for people in 2 tonnes of metal, and therefore cars should be bannedfrom travelling down there. They are just trying to create a cycling utopia - by default!!

Indeed, I seem to recall fairly high accident/fatality rates for most of the freeways and major highways. So using the mayor's logic can we look forward to things like the Western Ring Bicycle Super Path ;) . After all it's obviously not suited to motor vehicles. :roll:
Dave
Bianchi Via Nirone
Merida Scultura EVO 904

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Sat 18 Jul 2015, 9:18 am

Even though we've all probably read enough Dutch comparisons, I still found this to be a good response - http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/jul/18/pack-your-panniers-robert-doyle-and-duncan-gay-for-a-fact-finding-trip-to-holland

wagger

Postby wagger » Sat 18 Jul 2015, 5:29 pm

Helen wrote:It just beggars belief and I'm so disappointed in Daniel Andrews. What a numpty. :(

You did not already know his degree of numptiness?
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 09 May 2018, 9:22 am

Those who can vote, and have not already voted, here's the responses from the Lord Mayor candidates to a number of bike oriented questions asked by Bicycle Network.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... -election/

Return to “Cycling discussion”