Missing link in Anniversary Trail

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
.d.

Re: Missing link in Anniversary Trail

Postby .d. » Sat 12 Sep 2015, 10:34 pm

Philip wrote:Going to keep plugging this :P

There will be another site consultation tomorrow from 10am - 1pm on-site. If you're interested head down to Riversdale Park and have a chat to council officers.

thanks for posting this phillip. as both a local resident backing onto the anniversary trail for the past 25 years and someone who has ridden my commute along the affected section for that period of time i have an interest. i walked down to riversdale park to meet the council representatives to thank them for the proposal, which i support, and to also take the opportunity to thank them for the ongoing improvements in the anniversary trail and gardiners creek trail which steadily improve the enjoyment and safety of my daily commute.

the proposal and the consideration that has gone into it also illustrates how difficult even relatively small exercises like this can be in mediating charged and conflicting firmly held opinions.
David S

flyingdutch

Postby flyingdutch » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 2:41 pm

Great project

not sure why it includes a car park development though...
... riding...

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 6:04 pm

flyingdutch wrote:Great project

not sure why it includes a car park development though...
The Tennis Club will be losing their existing carpark with this development, and rather than put more car parking into the already congested local streets, it will be more socially responsible and acceptable to local residents as well as safer if car parking is taken care of without a significant cost to the existing amenity. Ultimately it will be decided on the basis of all of the consultation that is or has taken place so that the project has community, i.e. all of the communities, acceptance. The need for the car park has been canvassed in the surveys which have been carried out.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Mon 14 Sep 2015, 6:57 pm

I thought that too Fixie but it still remains somewhat ironic that you drive to have your "exercise" then drive back again. Heaven forbid you should take PT, walk or ride....

Philip

Postby Philip » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:07 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words :) I'll be sure to pass them on. This has been a long time coming so we want to make sure that we get it right, for the safety of path users if for no other reason.
Philip Mallis
Ex-Boroondara councillor
Boroondara BUG member
Views my own

peletor

Postby peletor » Tue 15 Sep 2015, 11:02 pm

Philip wrote:Thanks everyone for your kind words :) I'll be sure to pass them on. This has been a long time coming so we want to make sure that we get it right, for the safety of path users if for no other reason.

Good on you for the effort. It is depressing how long it takes to build 300m of shared path through a park. It makes me think Boroondara will never have proper cycling infrastructure.

Philip

Postby Philip » Wed 14 Oct 2015, 9:35 am

Philip Mallis
Ex-Boroondara councillor
Boroondara BUG member
Views my own

Philip

Postby Philip » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 11:56 am

There will be a Boroondara Council meeting on Monday 11 April at 6:30pm with the Anniversary Trail 'missing link' at Camberwell High School on the agenda. Council will be voting whether or not to proceed and if so, what form the project should take.

Further details and the report can be viewed here: https://boroondara.vic.gov.au/utilities ... april-2016

Would be great to see as many people as possible there!
Philip Mallis
Ex-Boroondara councillor
Boroondara BUG member
Views my own

Philip

Postby Philip » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 10:28 am

The motion to proceed with the project was passed at last night's meeting 4-3. We will now confirm the land swap with the Department of Education, which needs approval from the Minister.
Philip Mallis
Ex-Boroondara councillor
Boroondara BUG member
Views my own

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 12 Apr 2016, 8:08 pm

good news.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 06 Sep 2020, 3:30 pm

4 years later. It actually appears they are building this now!

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 06 Sep 2020, 8:38 pm

Thank goodness. Still just slightly over 5 km from my house, which makes it at least 7 weeks away.
Kichizi kama ndizi

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 10 Sep 2020, 9:31 pm

Yes. I noticed the activity and was wondering if it was finally happening. It is right on my 5K boundary.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Return to “Cycling discussion”