MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
jvb

Re: MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Postby jvb » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 12:36 pm

the lone rider wrote:Anybody here ridden Silvan or know of some kind of map floating around on the web somewhere?

Ventured out there today but struggled for a bit to find my way around or figure which trails are which and what direction I should be heading. A lot of potential for a good set-up if it gets the green light and legalised. Was starting to have fun until a stick bent my RD. :cry:

There is a very good map from Feathertop Maps, Dandenong Ranges, ref. #6722. It has most tracks (by name) and contour lines. The tracks are usually signposted so with the map you can pretty much figure out where you are.
We live not far from there and ride the tracks every now and then. (Our kids learnt to drive a manual car on the dirt roads around Silvan dam, fishtailing a 4wd ute was a lot of fun).

Looking online it seems that the map is out of print, http://mapsbookstravelguides.com.au/dan ... feathertop.
I have a copy so maybe something can be organised for who is interested.

the lone rider

Postby the lone rider » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 5:05 pm

jvb wrote:
the lone rider wrote:Anybody here ridden Silvan or know of some kind of map floating around on the web somewhere?

Ventured out there today but struggled for a bit to find my way around or figure which trails are which and what direction I should be heading. A lot of potential for a good set-up if it gets the green light and legalised. Was starting to have fun until a stick bent my RD. :cry:

There is a very good map from Feathertop Maps, Dandenong Ranges, ref. #6722. It has most tracks (by name) and contour lines. The tracks are usually signposted so with the map you can pretty much figure out where you are.
We live not far from there and ride the tracks every now and then. (Our kids learnt to drive a manual car on the dirt roads around Silvan dam, fishtailing a 4wd ute was a lot of fun).

Looking online it seems that the map is out of print, http://mapsbookstravelguides.com.au/dan ... feathertop.
I have a copy so maybe something can be organised for who is interested.

I found this one, pretty sure this is what they are putting up as signs around there for notification to make the trails legal. https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=15/-37.8172/145.3969

Not sure if there is anything more detailed, some of it certainly suited to being ridden one way only.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Sun 16 Oct 2016, 5:10 pm

get yourself a garmin - do a heat map/activty search on area in strava, download the gpx file for another rider's ride to your garmin, follow garmin.

strava activity silvan
__________flow................___________

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 3:22 pm

Had a Zion Williamson moment yesterday when my 7+ year old Five Tens gave way. I only wore them on weekends, so they never had a chance to wear out. I guess the foam has just crumbled due to its age.

Still posting. Still riding.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 5:58 pm

They're not nikes!
My old shimano lace-ups mtb shoes are stil going strong after 14 years!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 23 Feb 2019, 9:14 pm

Claude Cat wrote:They're not nikes!
My old shimano lace-ups mtb shoes are stil going strong after 14 years!

My lace up MTB shoes are my regular commute shoes and refuse to die, too. Also go on some road rides and weekend outings. They are over 10 now but probably less than 14. Can't remember exactly..

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 29 May 2019, 5:57 pm

Friend from uni rode this over the weekend and came first in her group of twelve starters.

https://fqsc.net/montagne/evenements/2019-coupe-canada-cup-coupe-du-quebec-1-xco-mont-tremblant

jvb

MTB - Slime tyres

Postby jvb » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 1:31 pm

Has anyone used the self repairing Slime tyres on their mtb?
I'm not getting unusual amounts of flats, but in winter when everything is covered in mud I find repairing or even replacing a tube a pain.

Return to “Cycling discussion”