MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Marx

Re: MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Postby Marx » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 2:31 pm

Hey, there's exciting things happening at Plenty Gorge, Greensborough.
Anyone have a first hand?
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 4:58 pm

No idea about Plenty Gorge, but Napthine has just pledged $3.25 Mill for the Warburton MTB trails if re-elected...

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/napthine-promises-cash-for-warburton-mountain-bike-trail-and-yarra-valley-equestrian-park-if-reelected/story-fngnvlxu-1227068102190

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 9:42 pm

MTBing is a great way to have fun on a bike, but it's a drag having to load the car for a drive out to the boonies.
Most (if not all) MTB trails i've seen & used are virtually invisible if you're not specifically looking out for them, so I don't see why trails can't be a stone throw from where I hang my bike up in the evenings.
To 'tread lightly' is easiest on a bike, virtually silent & in many examples as proven to be more sustainable than walking (walkers rarely stop to clear debris on trails, and tend to create wider diversions through muddy/wet sections).

I'm not dissing trails in regional areas, as the more the merrier. I just can't see the argument of bikes creating issues for existing park and/or natural environment area users in the metro areas where lots of MTBers actually live.

the lone rider

Postby the lone rider » Thu 25 Sep 2014, 10:50 am

Snuffy wrote:
the lone rider wrote:Hadn't been to Lysterfield for a while until yesterday, some nice changes to Aneurysm.

How so?

I thought they'd toned it down too much when I rode it about a month ago...

Looked fairly recent, still needs to be smoothed out a bit but more berms and bigger jumps. I haven't ridden that trail since the tabletops were removed about a year ago i think so not sure how much is all new.

Some photos on here https://www.facebook.com/Lysterfieldmtb?hc_location=timeline

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu 25 Sep 2014, 1:38 pm

Is the best way to build XC type trail, to first just put in a line & let riders establish a flow, then to return & put in berms/levelling/built structures going on what the rider’s lines are indicating?
It’s just that I’ve seen some berms on trails set at the weirdest angles & all overgrown & unused.

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Fri 26 Sep 2014, 1:59 pm

Marx wrote:MTBing is a great way to have fun on a bike, but it's a drag having to load the car for a drive out to the boonies.

Agreed. But for many even Plenty Gorge would be a drive... Closest single track for me is Yarra Flats, but even this entails ~9km riding bitumen to Willsmere park.

MTB park out in Warburton would be brilliant though! That town is really struggling since Sanitarium moved out in 1997!

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 29 Sep 2014, 8:58 am

"The revolution will not be motorised"

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon 29 Sep 2014, 12:50 pm

Helen wrote:Oh no :(
Take care out there MTBers
http://www.9news.com.au/national/2014/0 ... bike-rider

Very sobering news.
I'll look into running my Garmin 'Livetrack' more often than I do, so my family/friends can rest [a little more] easy. Mobile battery life might be an issue though.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 12:01 pm

Marx wrote:

Very sobering news.
I'll look into running my Garmin 'Livetrack' more often than I do, so my family/friends can rest [a little more] easy. Mobile battery life might be an issue though.

Glympse achieves the same thing from your android smart phone. My experience is it has minimal drain on my phone's battery life.

sbad

Postby sbad » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 2:51 pm

MattyP wrote:
Marx wrote:

Very sobering news.

Glympse achieves the same thing from your android smart phone. My experience is it has minimal drain on my phone's battery life.

My experience is the opposite :lol:

I found Glympse drained the phone battery fairly quickly, since it required the use of the GPS functionality that the phone has. By comparison, using Livetrack the GPS functionality is provided by the Garmin head unit and simply relays the data via BT to the phone. The use of the phone to send the data via Livetrack doesn't seem to have much of an impact on the phone's battery life IME
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 4:20 pm

Oh, I attempt to set up Garmin Livetrack, on my Samsung S4 & Garmin 510. The Samsung wanted me to turn on the phone’s GPS function.
.... I'll try it again & see how long my battery lastz...

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 4:31 pm

Very sad news! I have gone bush many a time in the past solo and plan to do more so again bikepacking, therefore thinking of buying a Spot Gen3 or something similar. The annual subscription rate of US$164.99 though after purchase costs is a little unpalatable...

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Tue 30 Sep 2014, 9:45 pm

Really sad.
Hits very close to home being a similar age and it makes you take a close stock of your own mortality.
A friend of his posted his last ride up on to Strava for him.
RIP Paul.

http://app.strava.com/activities/200879631/analysis
It just takes 1 idiot...

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Wed 12 Nov 2014, 8:58 am

Cyclingtips reviews XTR Di2. Yes please.

Although the time to ride offroad would be even better.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Tue 09 Dec 2014, 1:23 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:
The Duckmeister wrote:Image
After years of hard work by the Red Hill Riders MTB Club, we've finally got Parks Victoria approval to formalise the trail network that has been developing for quite some time. This snip is essentially the final hurdle - the public consultation phase. If the greater proportion of public submissions are in favour of the proposal to formalise the trails, there will soon officially be some "new" MTB ground to discover!

Please jump on board & give us all a boost! :D

An Update:

Following from the public submissions, the trail proposal has been approved at Parks Vic level, and is currently going through the final bureaucratic formalities before rubber-stamping! Not long to go now!! :D

Additionally, Mornington Peninsula Shire have officially implemented the shared roadside trail network, opening up over 100km of MTB/equestrian trails, and plans for quite a deal more.

The Arthurs Seat/Red Hill trail network is very nearly a reality!! :D

Another update:

The rubber-stamping is done. To all intents & purposes the Arthurs Seat State Park trails are now officially in existence!!!!! :D :D :D :D The Red Hill Riders trail crew are busily tidying bits up, and trail signage will be installed in the coming weeks. Nothing is set in yet, but there are plans in the works for some kind of grand opening early in the new year. :)
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

Return to “Cycling discussion”