MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Dalai

Re: MTB - Mountain Biking Discussion

Postby Dalai » Thu 26 Jun 2014, 6:47 pm

Just posted on https://www.facebook.com/buxton.mtb

BUXTON MTB PARK CLOSED for winter. Due to recent storm damage and heavy rain causing the soil profile to be saturated the park will be closed for the remainder of winter. Please respect the closure as damage caused now will be difficult and costly to fix. Please spread the word on other forums, so that people do not drive all the way up to find the trails closed.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 29 Jul 2014, 10:54 pm

Reaching new levels of softness!

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Wed 30 Jul 2014, 8:04 am

watched the women's race, suppose men's xc will be posted on youtube eventually, couldn't see it anywhere today.
__________flow................___________

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 30 Jul 2014, 10:55 am

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 13 Aug 2014, 2:03 pm

Go Jared

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovv_lqp ... T7J_cGbEXQ

Blows his fork again

And wins again

This guy..... :roll:

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Sat 16 Aug 2014, 6:50 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:Image
After years of hard work by the Red Hill Riders MTB Club, we've finally got Parks Victoria approval to formalise the trail network that has been developing for quite some time. This snip is essentially the final hurdle - the public consultation phase. If the greater proportion of public submissions are in favour of the proposal to formalise the trails, there will soon officially be some "new" MTB ground to discover!

Please jump on board & give us all a boost! :D

An Update:

Following from the public submissions, the trail proposal has been approved at Parks Vic level, and is currently going through the final bureaucratic formalities before rubber-stamping! Not long to go now!! :D

Additionally, Mornington Peninsula Shire have officially implemented the shared roadside trail network, opening up over 100km of MTB/equestrian trails, and plans for quite a deal more.

The Arthurs Seat/Red Hill trail network is very nearly a reality!! :D
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Sat 16 Aug 2014, 7:16 pm

Great news DM! :D

nikolai

Postby nikolai » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 3:47 pm

Awesome news.

Can I just ask what the significance of this is; Are these pre-existing trails which have now been approved for mtb?
The Duckmeister wrote:...
Additionally, Mornington Peninsula Shire have officially implemented the shared roadside trail network, opening up over 100km of MTB/equestrian trails, and plans for quite a deal more.
Bananas in Bandanas.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Mon 18 Aug 2014, 7:23 pm

Yeah, it's a two-part thing. The State Park trails have been "informal" (we managed to convince Parks to use that term rather than "illegal" a while ago) for several years, but now due to increasing knowledge of the trails by the public and resulting increasing use, formal recognition of the trails will allow some decent maintenance to ensure they remain in good shape.

The roadside trails have been well-established for equestrian use for many years, and there was considerable resistance from them to the thought of MTBers being allowed to use "their" turf, including quite vocal suggestiomns that it was illegal for us to ride there at all. So this is really just confirmation that MTBs are legitimate users of the trails. The Park section is relatively small, with only about 10-15km of trails, but the roadside stuff opens up a much greater area.

Further down the track, there are proposals from the Shire to build separate MTB-only trails in parts of the roadside network where space allows, also there are some "paper" roads, which are gazetted roadways that were never built (hence only exist on paper) which Council has granted Red Hill Riders free rein to develop into MTB trails.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon 25 Aug 2014, 11:57 am

Anybody got any info/feedback on this 'rough' itinerary?

"Well get On Ya Bike and enjoy the best mountain bike tracks SA has to offer. You’ll spend a day at Crafers West Mountain Bike Competition Site then Thomas Hill high above Cudlee Creek plus some tarmac:- the O-Bahn bike track from Tea Tree Plaza into the city then to West Beach. Down South to Port Noarlunga before venturing to McLaren Vale. It’ll be Heaps Good!"

This is one of expeditions the Venturer Scouts could elect for Venture in January (like Scout Jamboree, but for the older scouts, 14.5-18 y.o.)

My son and I have both received our first picks and I can't wait :D

wagger

Postby wagger » Sun 07 Sep 2014, 9:38 pm

Tracy Hannah 4th in the women's downhill in Norway. (World champs)

Live coverage on redbull tv. Men have just started. Sam Hill 9th last and Troy Brosnan 2nd last. 90+ starters in the elite mens downhill
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon 08 Sep 2014, 3:50 pm

Yarra Flats – it’ll be really fab if extra bit of singletrack magically appeared just north of Banksia St (from behind the Greenary garden centre), then hugged the river’s bank heading north/east (upstream) to Banyule Flats.
I wonder which trail fairy I need to leave a little present to, for that to happen?
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Sun 14 Sep 2014, 5:20 pm

Top day out at Studley Park.... Lovely weather.... lots of people out enjoying the weather.

Today's really suspect find was a bunch of burnt clothes. :shock: :shock:

the lone rider

Postby the lone rider » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 11:56 am

Hadn't been to Lysterfield for a while until yesterday, some nice changes to Aneurysm.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 24 Sep 2014, 12:35 pm

the lone rider wrote:Hadn't been to Lysterfield for a while until yesterday, some nice changes to Aneurysm.

How so?

I thought they'd toned it down too much when I rode it about a month ago...

Return to “Cycling discussion”