nails at Kew Boulevard, weekend 22/23 Feb 2014

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
acid_rider

nails at Kew Boulevard, weekend 22/23 Feb 2014

Postby acid_rider » Sun 23 Feb 2014, 4:39 pm

1/4 inch nails were deliberately thrown in both directions of Kew Boulevard this weekend.
Some, I was told, got punctured on Saturday.
Today, Sunday, was my turn.
Two identical looking nails, one in each direction, in bicycle lane, almost on the opposing sides of the road.
Hopefully someone has told the council and police by now......

Ron

Re: nails at Kew Boulevard, weekend 22/23 Feb 2014

Postby Ron » Sun 23 Feb 2014, 8:20 pm

I had someone on Wednesday morning ask if I'd punctured on The Boulevard that morning because someone had thrown thumb tacks on the road. I had gone a different way to work so missed them but forgot about the warning and coming home had to stop with a front puncture, perfect round pin hole in the tube. :x
Where abouts were the nails? I would have picked up my puncture just after Bell Bird Park.
Ron

Shorts

Postby Shorts » Sun 23 Feb 2014, 11:16 pm

I did a lap Saturday morning and there seemed to be quite a number of riders repairing punctures at various points along the road. As I got to the top of the hill where the Yarra trail goes down to the river, I thought to myself "gee i'm lucky. I haven't had a puncture for months". Got to about the Royal Talbot entrance and realised I had got a puncture. Pulled up towards the bottom of the hill and there were already two other riders there fixing their punctures. We all had tacks in our tyres.

I'm not going near the Boulevarde for a long, long time.

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Mon 24 Feb 2014, 11:27 am

Shorts wrote:I'm not going near the Boulevarde for a long, long time.

tack-throwing dickhead wins :evil:
next puncture my commuter bike gets - I'm replacing it with some Tannus solid tyres so I don't have to worry about this sort of thing.
It just takes 1 idiot...

Ron

Postby Ron » Mon 24 Feb 2014, 1:33 pm

Saw 4 riders with flats on my way in this morning, two on each side of the road, a guy with mountain bike slightly further ahead from where I flatted the other day.
I rode to and from Bell Bird Park yesterday from Chandler Hwy without incident. This morning I kept to the main traffic lane instead of riding the parking lane as usual, I figured if dickhead wants to throw tacks I'll ride in the most travelled section (cleanest?).
Ron

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Mon 24 Feb 2014, 1:54 pm

Ron wrote:I figured if dickhead wants to throw tacks I'll ride in the most travelled section (cleanest?).
Ron

Love your work! I think there needs to be a big sign put up beside the road warning about the tacks and advising cyclists to ride out in the car "wheel" zone = dickhead loses :twisted:
It just takes 1 idiot...

jules21

Postby jules21 » Mon 24 Feb 2014, 3:41 pm

acid_rider wrote:1/4 inch nails were deliberately thrown in both directions of Kew Boulevard this weekend.

can you imagine the outcry if someone started threw 1 inch, car tyre-puncturing nails? it would make the front page i reckon.

acid_rider

Postby acid_rider » Tue 25 Feb 2014, 9:53 am

Ron wrote:I had someone on Wednesday morning ask if I'd punctured on The Boulevard that morning because someone had thrown thumb tacks on the road. I had gone a different way to work so missed them but forgot about the warning and coming home had to stop with a front puncture, perfect round pin hole in the tube. :x
Where abouts were the nails? I would have picked up my puncture just after Bell Bird Park.
Ron

my two nails were on both sides of the road - about 3 min ride from the Walmer St junctions on Kew Boulevard, well before Yarra St. Perhaps 1km from Walmer St?

In my case not round-head thumb tacks but short 1/4 inch nails, same kind of nail on both sides of the road.
I suspect the criminal idiots threw half the nails on one side of the road bike lane, then crossed the road and did the same on the other side. Those nails are too short to puncture a car tyre but perfect for puncturing any kind of bicycle tyre - MTB, commuter and road. They appeared to be in the bike lane.

Hopefully someone has called the council to sweep up the bike lane, there is a lot of debris on it anyhow and called the police to send some unmarked cars/motorcycles to keep an eye on the area, these people are dickheads (by definition) so they will be back and they can be caught.

Atomic Kitten

Postby Atomic Kitten » Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:23 am

I keep forgetting to ride in the bike lane, what with the parked cars and tree root bumps and sticks and glass and gravel and what not... Thanks for the heads up on the nails, will keep a closer eye out.

lock

Postby lock » Tue 25 Feb 2014, 11:55 am

Did a few laps last night with no problems, but as others said if they were located in the bike lane....

Saw one guy walking his bike, was underneath the bridge when I first passed. Asked if he was ok, to which he replied that he had someone on the way. Passed him a few more times after that.

weg

Postby weg » Tue 25 Feb 2014, 10:52 pm

acid_rider wrote:Hopefully someone has called the council to sweep up the bike lane, there is a lot of debris on it anyhow and called the police to send some unmarked cars/motorcycles to keep an eye on the area, these people are dickheads (by definition) so they will be back and they can be caught.

Hope everyone affected has called the cops and reported it to VicRoads (it's not a council road). Forty reports to Boroondara cops at Kew can't be ignored like one or two.

Bikes 11

Postby Bikes 11 » Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:03 am

weg wrote: Forty reports to Boroondara cops at Kew can't be ignored like one or two.

Call 000. We were recently advised by our local copper to call 000 instead of the police direct regarding 'doof doof' noise going day & night locally (hardly an 'emergency', but that was the advice given). Problem fixed. The reason to call 000 is that each report is logged and automatically locates the other calls referring to the same location. This shows the seriousness of the problem, and the effect of any action taken (or lack of). Once such a report is made, it must be followed up and signed off when attended.
Use the paths......a good route.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 26 Feb 2014, 10:45 am

Bikes 11 wrote:
weg wrote: Forty reports to Boroondara cops at Kew can't be ignored like one or two.

Call 000. We were recently advised by our local copper to call 000 instead of the police direct regarding 'doof doof' noise going day & night locally (hardly an 'emergency', but that was the advice given). Problem fixed. The reason to call 000 is that each report is logged and automatically locates the other calls referring to the same location. This shows the seriousness of the problem, and the effect of any action taken (or lack of). Once such a report is made, it must be followed up and signed off when attended.

:? This seems odd advice from the officer; triple 0 is meant for emergencies/serious incidents. Consider resources and priorities. It's like people going to hospital ER when they have a cough/cold.

Murray

Postby Murray » Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:23 pm

Canuck wrote:
Bikes 11 wrote:

:? This seems odd advice from the officer; triple 0 is meant for emergencies/serious incidents. Consider resources and priorities. It's like people going to hospital ER when they have a cough/cold.

Quite a few years back we were advised by Police at Neighbourhood Watch meetings that if you want police attendance the only way is to call 000. However, if you want to report an offence you must attend the police station in person - nothing useful is kept as a result of a phone call. This latter was demonstrated when I was clipped (hit/run) on the way to an MRR meet - called Nunawading and reported it but was told to come in with details. I asked that the officer note the rego and pass that on as I lacked the means to make written notes (it was back in the old days when people were smarter than their phones). That was an impossibility - they don't leave notes for each other as they change shifts!
Murray

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 26 Feb 2014, 12:51 pm

Murray wrote:
Canuck wrote:
Bikes 11 wrote:

Quite a few years back we were advised by Police at Neighbourhood Watch meetings that if you want police attendance the only way is to call 000. However, if you want to report an offence you must attend the police station in person - nothing useful is kept as a result of a phone call. This latter was demonstrated when I was clipped (hit/run) on the way to an MRR meet - called Nunawading and reported it but was told to come in with details. I asked that the officer note the rego and pass that on as I lacked the means to make written notes (it was back in the old days when people were smarter than their phones). That was an impossibility - they don't leave notes for each other as they change shifts!

Interesting.
Last year (or the year before??) I got the police to attend after a phone call to the local station when I found a veryveryvery intoxicated man lying in the middle of the road.

Return to “Cycling discussion”