Riding snacks

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
barefoot

Riding snacks

Postby barefoot » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 2:52 pm

I like to eat proper food when riding - rather than the "power bar" or "gel" style of scientifically balanced nutritionally complete products that more closely resemble industrial waste than food.

So, I tend to pack my pockets and bags with all sorts of goodies like cake, chocolate, dried fruit, chocolate cake, chocolate coated fruit, more chocolate, and other chocolatey treats.

I eat well on my bike :-D

But there comes a time when I've had enough sweet, and want to eat something savoury. Salty goodness. And that's where the proper food thing is letting me down. I'm having a hard time finding salty savoury food that's practical to carry on a bike.

Last weekend I took a couple of zip lock bags of cracker biscuits, along with all my chocolatey goodness. I carried them in my jersey pockets, to avoid getting them crushed (and because they're light - I don't like carrying weight in my jersey if I can avoid it). They were pretty good - I got to eat most of them intact - but the reality is that they're rather fragile, and not terribly appealing once smashed up a bit.

In a quick run through the supermarket on Saturday night before the ride, that's the best I could come up with. Any other ideas of a salty savoury snack that would be easy to carry on a bike?

Salami sticks?
Cheese?

tim

Canuck

Re: Riding snacks

Postby Canuck » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:04 pm

vegemite sandwich?
savoury muffin?
sandwich (without anything that can ooooooze out)?
nuts?
pikelets made savoury?

I have used wraps with savoury fillings/spreads - rolled up to keep stuff in - e.g. hummus...

Atomic Kitten

Postby Atomic Kitten » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:17 pm

pizza

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:19 pm

Atomic Kitten wrote:pizza

(okay, wrong sport)
Reaching new levels of softness!

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:30 pm

Atomic Kitten wrote:pizza

Oooh, I would have gone a nice hot greasy capricciosa at the top of Ben Cruachan on Sunday... :oops:

tim
who would go a nice hot greasy capricciosa under most circumstances

wagger

Postby wagger » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:38 pm

snack packs of BBQ shapes?
Potato Chips?
Saladas?
SAOs?
Thin Captains?
Iced Vo Vos
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

ajft

Postby ajft » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 3:58 pm

Pumpernickel (sp?) type rye bread? doesn't get squashed because it's already as dense as a dense thing.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:10 pm

wagger wrote:snack packs of BBQ shapes?
Potato Chips?
Saladas?
SAOs?
Thin Captains?

:lol: :lol:

That's what I largely succeeded in avoiding last weekend, but it's always a probability.

Not exactly space-efficient either. Unless you pre-crush them ;-)

Iced Vo Vos

The rare and previously unpopular savoury salted variety of Iced Vo Vo? :mrgreen:

tim

manning

Postby manning » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:28 pm

Good timing for this post, I was just starting to research some recipes for riding snacks!

Has anyone tried out this book?
http://feedzonecookbook.com/portables/

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:40 pm

Cut out the middle man & carry clumps of rock salt?
Small or narrow/thin plastic containers might retain some of your food stuffs in it’s original shape when ready to eat?
Although, looking at all the well established ‘sports foods’, all of it looks like it was placed in a blender then packaged anyway. I think biking with food means everything assumes a semi digested state for portability.

A friend of mine once carried cookie dough on a bike ride.
A blk/wh film on biking in Italy I saw a month ago had riders carry: bread, cheese, salami & a knife.

Although the most awkward food to carry is beer: it gets hot, flat, explodes or falls out.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Atomic Kitten

Postby Atomic Kitten » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:43 pm

Cheese.

Leave it in your unwashed jerseys for as long as you like to enhance the aroma and taste.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 4:54 pm

barefoot wrote: Any other ideas of a salty savoury snack that would be easy to carry on a bike?

Which bike?

+1 for nuts, or trail mix/scroggin/whatevs. Good change in texture too, which can be welcomed after a few hours. Down side, nuts get heavy. Quickly.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

Marx wrote:Although, looking at all the well established ‘sports foods’, all of it looks like it was placed in a blender then packaged anyway. I think biking with food means everything assumes a semi digested state for portability.

One success to note from last weekend:

I noticed in one aisle "lunch box sized" tubes of pureed fruit - like an oversized toothpaste tube - which I thought might be a good thing.

In the next aisle I noticed bigger, cheaper tubes of of baby food. So I grabbed a fruit one, and a chocolate custard one.

Aside from the paranoid-new-parent grade packaging (do you really need a shrinkwrap sleeve over the tamper-evident screw cap?! Makes it a bastard to open one-handed while climbing a dirt road!), they were great. Pack in nicely, no mess.

They did have some savoury varieties in the same squeezy tube format - and the label insists they taste great warm or cold. But the label also boasts that they contain no added salt, which defeats my purpose somewhat.

Still, something to consider for long days on a bike, when a tube of pre-masticated potato, broccoli and corn might be just what you need to get you through :?

A blk/wh film on biking in Italy I saw a month ago had riders carry: bread, cheese, salami & a knife.

Now we're getting to the kind of lunch I used to take whitewater kayaking. Tins of smoked oysters were a favourite. And cheese. And hommus. Nomnomnom.

Although the most awkward food to carry is beer: it gets hot, flat, explodes or falls out.

I know you can get self-heating cans of brown-caffiene-beverage (with a sleeve of exothermic goo around the allegedly drinkable stuff - IIRC Snuffy took one of these up Donna last year). I wonder if you can get endothermic goo-wrapped beer cans, for remote area icey cold?

tim

weg

Postby weg » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 5:16 pm

Own trail mix with choc chips, banana chips, mango etc - just make up what you feel like that day.
Nutella in wholegrain bread - no spread needed and the wholegrain makes it healthy :wink: And Nutella comes in little single serve packets; bread keeps for a few days. Might try ajft's pumpernickel idea too.
Bananas of course but they're heavy; ok for day rides though
Rice cakes - still haven't finished my test packet and quite like them; not as fragile as I thought
Baby cucumber and cheese stick

Marc

Postby Marc » Wed 12 Jun 2013, 6:37 pm

barefoot wrote:Any other ideas of a salty savoury snack that would be easy to carry on a bike?
tim

Last Saturday on a Audax 200km I took 4 Dinner rolls filled with butter and Vegemite. kept me going all day.

Return to “Cycling discussion”