Australia's most irresponsible parent

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
wagger

Re: Australia's most irresponsible parent

Postby wagger » Fri 07 Jul 2017, 4:08 pm

He said statistics showed 60 per cent of Victorian drivers admitted to using their phones while driving, and that "perhaps the answer lies in the technology and how we can block data coming into vehicles".

The next upgrade of the IOS system (IOS 11) will have such a feature where you can turn your phone "off" when you start your car and enable bluetooth - but it is voluntary and you need to turn the feature on yourself and it can be turned off quite easily:

https://ios.gadgethacks.com/how-to/use- ... t-0178339/
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Fri 07 Jul 2017, 4:52 pm

wagger wrote:
He said statistics showed 60 per cent of Victorian drivers admitted to using their phones while driving, and that "perhaps the answer lies in the technology and how we can block data coming into vehicles".

The next upgrade of the IOS system (IOS 11) will have such a feature where you can turn your phone "off" when you start your car and enable bluetooth - but it is voluntary and you need to turn the feature on yourself and it can be turned off quite easily:

It's a good enough idea, but the problem really is that the people who will use that feature to block their phones are not the problematic people who are actually using their phones in the car in the first place.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Fri 07 Jul 2017, 7:12 pm

Daicos Mullets wrote:
wagger wrote:

It's a good enough idea, but the problem really is that the people who will use that feature to block their phones are not the problematic people who are actually using their phones in the car in the first place.

Speed detection. Done. (Giving the option to cancel it, if on a train or whatever. At least it'd take an action to disable it).

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Mon 02 Oct 2017, 12:46 am

^ XR6 Turbo. The car made him do it!

Some (foreign) irresponsible parents can say "The bike made me do it!"

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Wed 03 Jan 2018, 8:25 pm

Still posting. Still riding.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 13 Apr 2018, 9:24 pm

https://www.vicpolicenews.com.au/news/d ... r=16638310

Friday, 13 April 2018 20:36

A woman had her car immediately impounded after she was allegedly caught drink driving with children in the car at Frankston this afternoon.

Frankston police observed a red Toyota sedan driving carelessly around a roundabout and followed the vehicle where it was intercepted on Hillcrest Road just after 5.30pm.

A 44-year-old woman returned a positive preliminary breath test and officers discovered she had four children in the car.

The Frankston woman was taken to a police station where she returned a BAC of 0.305 per cent.

Her car was impounded at a cost of $1038.

She is expected to be charged on summons with drink driving and other traffic related offences.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 29 Apr 2018, 4:37 pm

Woman, seven children arrested after stolen car crashes in Como, WA.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-04-29/t ... es/9708748
Still posting. Still riding.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 04 Jun 2018, 8:14 am

Learners these days... :shock:
Reaching new levels of softness!

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 22 Aug 2018, 9:48 am

Having been an advocate of the concept of "Treat red light as a stop sign when turning left", and hoping it will be implemented to aid in traffic flow, I'm quite surprised that it has already been enacted without my knowledge.
Or, did that local school parent think the green man shape actually meant green car?

Tamiya

Postby Tamiya » Sun 09 Sep 2018, 12:46 pm

baudman wrote:Or, did that local school parent think the green man shape actually meant green car?

Earlier this year some of my local intersections have added "bike" lights... which go green along with the ped lights whilst the main (round) traffic lights stay red for a while longer.

However drivers are seeing the green & they go. (TBF these new lights are very bright LEDs and the bike logo is pretty big so unless you're particularly observant the whole logo could just look like a normal 'round' green light... all on the same pole together :| )

Thought VicRoads used to post "Changed Traffic Light Sequence" signs before, but don't notice any of those lately.

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 12 Oct 2018, 9:07 am

Bloke on a flat bar commuter with a child seat with a TINY child - toddler size - with pink helmet, on the Footscray path bound for CBD.
There was a woman following behind wearing floral leggings who I thought might be the mum, unless it was a random person who was just following at a similar pace.
After what seemed like quite a cautious ride along the Footscray road path the three of them just bombed over the red lights at Costco corner.
Seriously, what is wrong with you people :evil:
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 14 Mar 2019, 5:28 pm

"Road safety educator Craig Waters"
Then this guy proceeds to drive in the cycle lane for a while before turning left ...

Return to “Cycling discussion”