Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Heather

Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Postby Heather » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 9:54 am

Not sure if this has been discussed before on the forum (I did look on the search function, couldn't find it :roll: )
It might be of interest to some people:
DoT Project: Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail
Also:
BHRRT website
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Postby Snuffy » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 10:03 am

Sealed trail would be nice.

A few months ago, I tried to follow the loosely linked bike paths between BH and Nunawading and almost lost it when I buried my front wheel in a pothole that had been loosely filled with gravel (basically a gravel trap).

Also, those green signs which tell you about advised bike routes through Blackburn actually take you in circles.....
Reaching new levels of softness!

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:04 am

Quite frankly, I'd rather ride Whitehorse Road and have controlled passage through intersections, rather than having to negotiate dubious crossings on multiple major and secondary roads the rail line crosses. Gotta think the motoring world is going to be really pleased about a whole lot more pedestrian lights at all these crossing points too :roll: .

Spend the money putting Parkiteer cages at each of the stations along the route. Maybe that will get some of the cars off the road and reduce the crazy on-street parking around the stations (growing worse every year).

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:22 am

Pete wrote:Quite frankly, I'd rather ride Whitehorse Road and have controlled passage through intersections,

On a day-to-day basis I do agree with that, but there are some days when a pootle on a bike path is just.... nice :)

For the most part, Cotham/Whitehorse/Maroondah to Ringwood is a great road for experienced riders to use. The only bit that I REALLY dislike is between Middleborough and Surrey Roads. The lanes just seem to narrow a little bit too much through this section and cars are regularly trying to zoom around for the Surrey Rd turn.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:25 am

Good use of existing land and beneficial for those looking to travel East - West but don't want to ride on the roads.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:40 am

AFAICR the proposed trail was one of the "Pork Barrel" items promised at the last State election.

As a Whitehorse ratepayer who will inevitably be funding some part of the cost I support Pete's comment re better facilities on Whitehorse Road.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

kmcnamar

Postby kmcnamar » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 11:57 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:AFAICR the proposed trail was one of the "Pork Barrel" items promised at the last State election.

As a Whitehorse ratepayer who will inevitably be funding some part of the cost I support Pete's comment re better facilities on Whitehorse Road.

Mike

The Whitehorse CC has given you a bike related spending holiday for as long as I have been paying attention. Regularly falling at the bottom of the BIXE index. Perhaps they are spending the money elsewhere, as the rates have continued to increase regardless.

Sad reality is that as a pork barreling effort the political eye may have moved elsewhere. Possibly the grade separation of a certain level crossing in Brighton.

Kev.
Somewhere near Scotchman's Creek twice daily

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 12:21 pm

kmcnamar wrote:The Whitehorse CC has given you a bike related spending holiday for as long as I have been paying attention. Regularly falling at the bottom of the BIXE index. Perhaps they are spending the money elsewhere,

New netball stadium, just around the corner from me, which I will never make any use of :roll:

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:27 pm

Pete wrote:
kmcnamar wrote:The Whitehorse CC has given you a bike related spending holiday for as long as I have been paying attention. Regularly falling at the bottom of the BIXE index. Perhaps they are spending the money elsewhere,

New netball stadium, just around the corner from me, which I will never make any use of :roll:

So the council is negligent when they don't spend and if they do but in this instance not something you will use they are still negligent?

Given the health implications with people not exercising, how is a new sports complex not a positive? A new shared path which you won't use but others may is also a waste of funds?

Seems a very selfish view... :roll:

Murray

Postby Murray » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:32 pm

Pete wrote:

You have a problem with Netball? Surely a regular cyclist would have the legs to match the skirt - what's the problem? :P
Murray

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:38 pm

Dalai wrote:
Pete wrote:New netball stadium, just around the corner from me, which I will never make any use of :roll:

So the council is negligent when they don't spend and if they do but in this instance not something you will use they are still negligent?

Given the health implications with people not exercising, how is a new sports complex not a positive? A new shared path which you won't use but others may is also a waste of funds?

Seems a very selfish view... :roll:

Where... did I say anything of the sort???

Please do not put words in my mouth, thank you!

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:43 pm

@Pete - rolling eyes, bolded never- I read those together meaning that because you won't use the new stadium that it is wasted money.

I told a work colleague who used to commute from Box Hill to work, but has since moved further out about this topic today. Since moving he now drives to work as he doesn't feel comfortable riding the roads from his home to Box Hill as he got taken out by a SMIDY motorist when he was still commuting by bike. He straight away said he would most likely start riding in again if this was built!

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:44 pm

As far as spending money on a new netball stadium.... there was already a perfectly good netball centre there, an outdoor facility though. My problem is about the focus on team ballsports. It's a given that the local council is expected to spend millions on luxury facilities. But bike lanes (a bit of paint) on the more meaningful roads they do actually have responsibility for.... nup, too expensive, no-one will use it anyway.

As posted earlier, Whitehorse Council is at the bottom of the heap when it comes to bicycle facility expenditure. THAT'S what I have a problem with. Priorities :roll:
Last edited by Pete on Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

Dalai wrote:@Pete - rolling eyes, bolded never- I read those together meaning that because you won't use the new stadium that it is wasted money.

Say again - do not put words in my mouth please :|

Dalai wrote:I told a work colleague who used to commute from Box Hill to work, but has since moved further out about this topic today. Since moving he now drives to work as he doesn't feel comfortable riding the roads from his home to Box Hill as he got taken out by a SMIDY motorist when he was still commuting by bike. He straight away said he would most likely start riding in again if this was built!

Sad thing is, it will probably put him at greater risk of collision: dog-walkers, kids on BMX's, Ipoded power walkers, red-light runners at the ped crossings....

Just my opinion of course, but the data on segregated bike paths does bear me out. Their 'safety' is illusory.

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 1:58 pm

Pete wrote:
Dalai wrote:@Pete - rolling eyes, bolded never- I read those together meaning that because you won't use the new stadium that it is wasted money.

Say again - do not put words in my mouth please :|

So what do the above two things bold never and rolled eyes together mean in your words?

Return to “Cycling discussion”