Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Postby Snuffy » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 2:03 pm

From my brief ride on it the other day... More or less fully open

Last I heard, there were still things to do to the Laburnum stretch and the bit around Albert Street in Ringwood.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 2:57 pm

Sooooo I've just received an update on the Laburnum section that I haven't been able to find anywhere on the interwebs. I'll upload it somewhere when I have a chance.

Basically the final design that they've settled on for the Laburnum section is to do SFA

- The park next to Laburnum Satation - they're going to put in another path for cyclists which isn't the one right next to the station - this is something they should have done when they rebuilt Laburnum Station. The designers on that project need to be slapped around the head a bit

- They haven't actually addressed how cyclists get from the park on to Laburnum Street..... to me this was always the most dangerous part with motorists blasting through the underpass.

- On Laburnum Street, they're going to throw a bit of paint down, add street signs and call it an "on road shared space". ROADS ARE ALREADY FRIGGIN SHARED SPACES. Basically, it's going to be the same rubbish that we deal with at the moment with motorists using the road as a rat run and blasting between speedhumps.

- On Main Street, they're doing something funny to the nature strip to make some sort of bike path that still requires users to cross South Parade right in the middle of the busy shopping precinct. This to me was always the second most dangerous part of the ride because it's a busy bus/train interchange and shopping precinct. I think the crossing needs to be far far away from here

- AND MOST IMPORTANTLY..... they have REAPEATEDLY STRESSED HOW IMPORTANT IT IS THAT WE DON'T TAKE AWAY THE RIGHT FOR PEOPLE TO LEAVE THEIR CARS ALL OVER PUBLIC SPACES.

Seriously poor effort

victor

Postby victor » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 3:23 pm

It sounds like a typically Australian bit of cycling infrastructure. :roll: I'm glad my commute is so early I can just zip straight down Maroondah Highway (I get to work at roughly 0545, so traffic is NOT a problem).

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 6:22 pm

Love your work Snuffy. Spot on assessment. I shall be expressing my view on the feedback form on how those aspects that you have mentioned and others fail to meet one of basic goals of the path which was to make it suitable for riders "8 to 80". I had a group of riders who are road averse up there a few Wednesdays ago and they did not like Laburnum Street as it was. And that was during a quiet time.

I shall also take the opportunity to ask them to do something about the silly turn behind Box Hill High school where you go from Middleborough Road to the unfinished path alongside the railway line.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:05 pm

Yep - more negatives than positives.

Negatives:
As mentioned above.

Positives:
1 - Laburnum St to be reduced to 40km/h.
2 - traffic flowing between Main St and South Parade to take priority, including cyclists.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 8:26 am

They also forgot to mention what they're going to do about the magpie that's regularly at the corner of Laburnum and Main Street

:evil:

Toyopet wrote:1 - Laburnum St to be reduced to 40km/h.

It's a rat run. People already ignore the speed limits. I'm not sure how they expect that this will change anything.

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 8:47 am

Rode this trail for the first time a couple of weeks ago. From Ringwood to Blackburn. How the hell are you meant to cross Springvale Rd?????? Other than that, not a bad run although I went off towards Gardiners Creek Trail at Blackburn so didn't do what exists of the rest to Box Hill.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 9:01 am

BjL73 wrote:Rode this trail for the first time a couple of weeks ago. From Ringwood to Blackburn. How the hell are you meant to cross Springvale Rd?????? Other than that, not a bad run although I went off towards Gardiners Creek Trail at Blackburn so didn't do what exists of the rest to Box Hill.

My guess Is that you could use the pedestrian crossing near the post office.

Back when this was on my commute
- On the inbuond run, I was early enough (pre-6:00am) that there was stuff all traffic, so just crossed over Springvale Road to get to Whitehorse Road.
- on the outbound run, I would have to divert down to Central Road (in the absence of the shared trail). With the backed up traffic, it was pretty easy to ride up the left side of Springvale Road and turn into either Station Street (which I did before the Nunawading section was open) or Walkers Road (once it was finally opened).

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 12:55 pm

Snuffy wrote:
BjL73 wrote:Rode this trail for the first time a couple of weeks ago. From Ringwood to Blackburn. How the hell are you meant to cross Springvale Rd?????? Other than that, not a bad run although I went off towards Gardiners Creek Trail at Blackburn so didn't do what exists of the rest to Box Hill.

My guess Is that you could use the pedestrian crossing near the post office.

Back when this was on my commute
- On the inbuond run, I was early enough (pre-6:00am) that there was stuff all traffic, so just crossed over Springvale Road to get to Whitehorse Road.
- on the outbound run, I would have to divert down to Central Road (in the absence of the shared trail). With the backed up traffic, it was pretty easy to ride up the left side of Springvale Road and turn into either Station Street (which I did before the Nunawading section was open) or Walkers Road (once it was finally opened).

I'll have a look next time I'm there. I ended up riding down Springvale Rd and doing a U-turn. It doesn't appear to have been well thought out but maybe it isn't finished yet.

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Sun 07 Oct 2018, 12:01 pm

Just a bit of an update on this path.

At the Ringwood end, they've finished the section along Albert St, installed a signalized intersection at New St (bicycle lights included, yay!) and the path now runs between the railway line and the factories until it reaches the Eastlink Trail, a short distance from the Molan St exit which you need to take to cross Eastlink and onto Heatherdale station.

Enjoy! :)

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 8:12 am

BjL73 wrote:Just a bit of an update on this path.

At the Ringwood end, they've finished the section along Albert St, installed a signalized intersection at New St (bicycle lights included, yay!) and the path now runs between the railway line and the factories until it reaches the Eastlink Trail, a short distance from the Molan St exit which you need to take to cross Eastlink and onto Heatherdale station.

Only three flipping years after I moved out of the area :lol:

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Mon 08 Oct 2018, 7:57 pm

Snuffy wrote:
BjL73 wrote:Just a bit of an update on this path.

Only three flipping years after I moved out of the area :lol:

The day after I die will be the day they start on the Lilydale - Yarra Glen rail trail. :(

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 21 May 2019, 12:18 pm

Update on this:

The short section west of Middleborough Road at the back of the Box Hill High School was being worked on yesterday and looks like it may be completed soon.

They had almost completed excavation for getting the levels right so it should be just a gentle ramp up from Middleborough Road to the existing path. Meanwhile there is an unmarked detour necessary as the path is blocked.

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed 07 Aug 2019, 9:16 pm

It is not finished yet, and what has been done seems to me to be an unmitigated failure. I am sure that the work experience kid would have done better had he been given the chance!

Has anyone else on here looked at it?

victor

Postby victor » Wed 07 Aug 2019, 9:25 pm

fixie wrote:It is not finished yet, and what has been done seems to me to be an unmitigated failure. I am sure that the work experience kid would have done better had he been given the chance!

Has anyone else on here looked at it?

I walked along the Mitcham to Ringwood part of it on Christmas Day last year, and what I saw was a mess. Several interruptions by roads (where, of course, the trail had lower priority :roll: ), and a bumpy surface, not to mention a confusing and impractical diversion at Heatherdale train station.

Return to “Cycling discussion”