Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
neverclimbed32

Re: Box Hill to Ringwood Rail Trail

Postby neverclimbed32 » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 2:04 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:AFAICR the proposed trail was one of the "Pork Barrel" items promised at the last State election.

As a Whitehorse ratepayer who will inevitably be funding some part of the cost I support Pete's comment re better facilities on Whitehorse Road.

Mike

Not sure what what you are referring to re Petes comment.
Not sure that any amount of upgrade to Whitehorse Rd would make me want to ride it with the family.
I can see how easy it would be label this as "Pork Barreling". As long as enough folks and user groups keep up the pressure on their local members etc to let them know that cyclist actually want a rail trail here it will happen. Petes netball stadium would have had a powerful number of people behind it to get funding.

Logistically, it would be a pretty hard route to service, within the railway easement and probably part of it may just become bike lanes on existing roads.
In the end the only ones who will really benefit will be Parsons Brinkerhoff.

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 2:08 pm

neverclimbed32 wrote:Logistically, it would be a pretty hard route to service, within the railway easement and probably part of it may just become bike lanes on existing roads.

Not sure why it would be aany more hard to service than any other trail, there are some shared path stretches through syndal on the railway easement.
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

RodC

Postby RodC » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 2:17 pm

Personally I'm quite happy to use Maroondah Hwy and would continue to do so.

But I reckon this is a good idea. There are plenty out there who wouldn't consider the road but would potentially consider using this both for commuting and recreation.
did someone say coffee?

Pete

Postby Pete » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 2:51 pm

Dalai wrote:
Pete wrote:
Dalai wrote:@Pete - rolling eyes, bolded never- I read those together meaning that because you won't use the new stadium that it is wasted money.

Say again - do not put words in my mouth please :|

So what do the above two things bold never and rolled eyes together mean in your words?

I will not be using the netball centre (unsurprisingly really)

I do not approve of the spending priorities of my local council - about time they got some serious funds put into good on-road cycle strategies.

squeaza

Postby squeaza » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:48 pm

I don't mind Maroondah highway at certain times of day, but am pretty unimpressed with it at certain nasty points, and have lost a LOT of confidence mixing it with peak-hour traffic so just don't ride on it unless it's early in the morning now. I would use the bike trail quite a lot, especially now we've got the trailer+minime and I really don't like taking that on big roads. A good route up to the railway from ours, and then a path all the way to Ringwood or Box Hill would be really good.

Even better if they improved some on-road facilities too though ;)
Still a cyclist, albeit one who never rides any more....

neverclimbed32

Postby neverclimbed32 » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:49 pm

PiledHigher wrote:
neverclimbed32 wrote:Logistically, it would be a pretty hard route to service, within the railway easement and probably part of it may just become bike lanes on existing roads.

Not sure why it would be aany more hard to service than any other trail, there are some shared path stretches through syndal on the railway easement.

Ringwood to Mitcham – 3 bridges inc. extensive embankments on bride lead ins and deep cutting at Heathdale station
Mitcham to Blackburn - easy(er). Existing ped crossings at Springvale Rd could be used. Rooks rd crossing could be problematic (unpopular) but would stop (some)traffic using Rooks Rd as a rat run.
Blackburn to Box Hill – easy on north side to Laburnum Rd crossing adjacent blind corner and bridge, followed by Middleborough Rd !!! Not sure where to go here. Bit tight both sides between school and cemetery with the rail in a deep cutting. Traditionally you would go round the back of the cemetery and then Rutland Rd.

What do you think ? Haven’t traveled the route you note so couldn’t comment on that.

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Tue 03 Apr 2012, 3:59 pm

neverclimbed32 wrote:
PiledHigher wrote:

Ringwood to Mitcham – 3 bridges inc. extensive embankments on bride lead ins and deep cutting at Heathdale station
Mitcham to Blackburn - easy(er). Existing ped crossings at Springvale Rd could be used. Rooks rd crossing could be problematic (unpopular) but would stop (some)traffic using Rooks Rd as a rat run.
Blackburn to Box Hill – easy on north side to Laburnum Rd crossing adjacent blind corner and bridge, followed by Middleborough Rd !!! Not sure where to go here. Bit tight both sides between school and cemetery with the rail in a deep cutting. Traditionally you would go round the back of the cemetery and then Rutland Rd.

What do you think ? Haven’t traveled the route you note so couldn’t comment on that.

So your issue isn't the servicing but rather the building..

That trail I spoke about has some use of local roads, some shared access to the cuttings and some dips down.

I would think that middleborough rd would feed into existing pedestrian underpass and along the school side (looking at google maps appears to be maintenance vehicle access along there now). laburnum should be a bridge parallel to the station platform but would likely end up through the carpark and across the road, with the new bridge visibility isn't horrible for traffic coming under the station.
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

neverclimbed32

Postby neverclimbed32 » Wed 04 Apr 2012, 1:47 pm

PiledHigher wrote:
neverclimbed32 wrote:
PiledHigher wrote:

So your issue isn't the servicing but rather the building..

That trail I spoke about has some use of local roads, some shared access to the cuttings and some dips down.

I would think that middleborough rd would feed into existing pedestrian underpass and along the school side (looking at google maps appears to be maintenance vehicle access along there now). laburnum should be a bridge parallel to the station platform but would likely end up through the carpark and across the road, with the new bridge visibility isn't horrible for traffic coming under the station.

Had a look at that PH and you are spot on so that section taken care of. Would defiantly need to be a mix of on road bike lanes , shared path etc for the rest. I had a look at the easement at Rooks Rd this morning and the backs of the factories there would only be about 4-5 m off the edge of the ballast. I know that's plenty of room for a shared path but couldn't imagine it would be a very appealing place to ride when the train whooshes past.

j9

Postby j9 » Tue 31 Jul 2012, 12:47 am

$1.5M for Ringwood-Box Hill bike track

http://maroondah-leader.whereilive.com. ... ike-track/
"More waffle here than a BBC breakfast!" - The Duckmeister

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 7:15 am

So anyway.

Community information sessions coming up

Vicroads wrote:Community information sessions

Join us at one of our four drop-in community information sessions to find out more about the project. You will have the opportunity to chat to our project team, ask any questions and leave your feedback.

Date: Wednesday 10 September 2014
Times: 10:00am - 12 noon and 5:00pm - 7:00pm
Where: Blackburn Elderly Citizens Centre, 25 Central Road, Blackburn

Date: Thursday 11 September 2014
Time: 6:00pm - 8:00pm
Where: Maroondah City Council, 'The Ringwood Centre’ Offices, 1 Civic Place, Ringwood

Date: Saturday 13 September 2014
Time: 8:30am - 11:00am
Where: Whitehorse Council Offices, ‘Willis Room’, 379-397 Whitehorse Road, Nunawading

You can visit at any time over the course of an information session. If you are unable to attend one of these sessions, you can contact us by phone or email to discuss your questions or feedback.
Reaching new levels of softness!

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 8:28 am

Travelling on the train a few days ago I noticed a new path being constructed on the north side of the tracks in the general area between Blackburn and Heatherdale. I assume this is part of the trail?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 9:35 am

Err.. track is "done" between Mitcham and Nunawading Home HQ

It finishes abruptly near the Mitcham Angling Club and has stalled due to negotiations

Ringwood end is sorta kinda open... linking train station to... well.... a short way down Albert St.

And the Box Hill end is the same gravel as always.....

Bitsa

TheEngineer

Postby TheEngineer » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 10:51 am

It is pretty standard for the state government to pay for the installation of a new path under the condition that council would take over ongoing maintenance and liability for the asset. Council needs to be involved in the design so that they know what they are getting themselves into, but there is no reason why they should be worried. I know that my council would happily accept the new path and would definitely take over ownership of the asset. That would free up around $500k each year to build other bicycle related projects.

This council is just being stupid and playing politics! The only reason why council wouldn't take over complete ownership is if it involved a large asset like an udnerpass or bridge over a road, rail line or river.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 03 Sep 2014, 10:59 am

Well the council has a point if the path is not specced as per design standards.

I'm undecided as to if it's a good point because I tend to just ride wherever, but it's a point none the less.....

fixie

Postby fixie » Sat 13 Sep 2014, 4:47 pm

I went to one of the information sessions this morning.

The Vic Roads people are very enthusiastic but recognise that they have some difficult issues to resolve as there are many stake holders. Some of the Council arguments appear to be specious or special pleading or outright turf protection. In general there are standards and guidlines and few if any rules as such. The council is presently going through a court case at the coroners court and possibly another court also, ( I am not privy to the detail) but I suspect that there is an element of tinplating going on that may help explain some of the council's hesitation and caution on a few matters. However, I am optimistic that the negotiations will reach a favourable conclusion for those who wish to see the trail completed. I do not see the council's position as the biggest obstacle to be addressed.

In case you are wondering, do not hold your breath for the finish which is presently likely around 2017. Part of the job which involves the Blackburn station level crossing grade separation has just been put out to the industry seeking expressions of interest.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Return to “Cycling discussion”