So, who regularly uses the Melbourne Bike Share?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
JAC

Re: So, who regularly uses the Melbourne Bike Share?

Postby JAC » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 7:29 pm

18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

peletor

Postby peletor » Wed 12 Apr 2017, 8:25 pm

JAC wrote:Bike share problems in China:

http://www.msn.com/en-au/news/techandsc ... hp#image=1

Apparently they've approached city of Sydney. Would be awesome to see this in Melbourne. Imagine it in Brunswick or Abbotsford - would be excellent.

victor

Postby victor » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 12:28 pm

I couldn't get through the paywall, but the Herald Sun just ran a story about a new Melbourne bike share scheme, dubbing it "Uber for bikes". Place your bets now on how long before it goes bankrupt because of the MHL...

wagger

Postby wagger » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:25 pm

victor wrote:I couldn't get through the paywall, but the Herald Sun just ran a story about a new Melbourne bike share scheme, dubbing it "Uber for bikes". Place your bets now on how long before it goes bankrupt because of the MHL...

I found this via google as a bit of a background:

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2017 ... s-hangzhou

http://uk.reuters.com/article/us-china- ... KKCN12K2ST

I think it'll be more a patent/ trademark issue than helmets:

http://www.scmp.com/business/companies/ ... =hong-kong
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

zen navigator

Postby zen navigator » Thu 01 Jun 2017, 1:49 pm

That may explain the large number (like a couple of thousand) of yellow bikes that have recently appeared on vacant land in Nunawading. They're on the old brickworks site next to the train line,and were being unloaded from shipping containers a couple of weeks ago. In my brief glimpse from the train they look similar to the ones in the article the abc ran recently about failed bike share schemes in China that are clogging the streets with vandalised bikes.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-05-21/c ... ts/8543720

wagger

Postby wagger » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 6:51 am

Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 16 Jun 2017, 9:15 am

I just saw these as I rode to work today. they are appearing in pairs locked to bike hoops up the top end of La Trobe st.
I'm going to notify the council about this, because they are using public bike hoops which are put there for everyone to use, not for private profit.
It's hard enough to find a spare bike hoop sometimes (those not taken by the stupid Jesus Freak bikes) without them being commandeered by a startup which is using the commons for their own benefit.
I'm not surprised the company has been compared to Uber. Using other peoples stuff to make money is their business model.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Sat 17 Jun 2017, 9:38 pm

My son lives in Xian, central China which is also experiencing the bike share boom. I asked for his thoughts which may be of interest about where this phenomenon might be heading...

"The shared bicycle system has really taken off. This time last year very few people were cycling. I cannot believe how many people are riding now. School kids, young professionals and older people. There are a number of shared bike companies competing for market share. Ofo and Mobike are the two biggest. I ride Mobike. The dockless system is extremely convenient.

The pros:
It's cheap, 1yuan per half hour. (There is a $50 deposit required before you can hire)
You don't have to worry about your bike being stolen. Nor even buy a bike it's so cheap to hire.
Bikes are easy to find, especially around major roads and subway/metro stations.
Easy to use, a phone app allows you to scan a barcode on the bikes that automatically unlocks the back wheel. When you have finished riding you can lock the bike and leave the bike anywhere (safe and visible).
What I like the best is being able to pick up a bike anywhere anytime and just ride. It's amazing.

The cons:
People (possibly competition) are vandalising the barcode system.
Bikes are being hidden in compounds and apartment complexes.
Some people are even taking them home.
Pins and tacks are being placed in the seats (not sure why, I haven't seen this personally)
Bikes are left all over the footpath but so are cars in China."

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 10:12 am

Elizabeth St, opposite the Market.
oBike sharebikes in Melbourne by baudman, on Flickr

weg

Postby weg » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 11:03 am

Helen wrote:It's hard enough to find a spare bike hoop sometimes (those not taken by the stupid Jesus Freak bikes) without them being commandeered by a startup which is using the commons for their own benefit.

There was some chat about exactly this aspect on the weekend. Helmets attached?

Be interesting to see how the cyclists' friend RACV responds. But did they get that scheme underwritten anyway? Forget the details.

peletor

Postby peletor » Mon 19 Jun 2017, 1:07 pm

weg wrote:
Helen wrote:It's hard enough to find a spare bike hoop sometimes (those not taken by the stupid Jesus Freak bikes) without them being commandeered by a startup which is using the commons for their own benefit.

There was some chat about exactly this aspect on the weekend. Helmets attached?

Be interesting to see how the cyclists' friend RACV responds. But did they get that scheme underwritten anyway? Forget the details.

Their revenue is a rounding error on the $4m/y subsidy by the government.

Can anyone tell me a bit about these bikes? Do they have lights and how are they powered? Does the seat move? Are there any gears?

Re: private bikes for public use... I think that's a bit short sighted. It won't be long before these bikes create their own case for more bicycle infrastructure. There are lots of car spaces which I predict will soon become bike spots because of this system - a win for all.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 9:54 am

peletor wrote:Can anyone tell me a bit about these bikes? Do they have lights and how are they powered? Does the seat move? Are there any gears?

Single speed. Adjustable seat height. I can't recall lights - I'd imagine I would've noticed if they did, but can't guarantee.

Thomas Darragh

Postby Thomas Darragh » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 12:47 pm

On the train on Sunday, I saw hundreds of those bikes stored in the old brick works site between Nunawading and Mitcham stations. Tom
Tom Darragh

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 20 Jun 2017, 2:56 pm

So

Who's going to ride one at the Melburn Roobaix

:P
Reaching new levels of softness!

peletor

Postby peletor » Thu 22 Jun 2017, 1:16 am

Snuffy wrote:So

Who's going to ride one at the Melburn Roobaix

:P

$4 an hour isn't too bad I guess....

Return to “Cycling discussion”