The weather-watch thread

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: The weather-watch thread

Postby Canuck » Fri 23 Nov 2018, 12:48 pm

So hungry, and no packed lunch - went off in search of food early today. If this is the weather for the ride home, I'm not a fan. Rainy riding, fine in many instances - rainy COLD riding, no thanks... :x

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 11:39 am

Checked the weatherzone report for Reservoir at the moment - it defers to Essendon data - hope it eases before home time - 46km/hr northerly, 56km/hr gusts. Hmmmm. Yup, sounds like summer in Melbourne to me! Freezing water bottle now. Remembered to bring my sunscreen. Not cooking dinner tonight. Surely there is a cold beer in this equation somewhere...

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 2:13 pm

Went for a walk at lunch time... ya know what... it's pretty warm out there!
Reaching new levels of softness!

victor

Postby victor » Sun 13 Jan 2019, 5:26 pm

If I'm not at least 1kg lighter by Friday, I'm going to feel very cheated. All that sweat during my 310km of commuting will have to go somewhere...

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 13 Jan 2019, 8:29 pm

victor wrote:If I'm not at least 1kg lighter by Friday, I'm going to feel very cheated. All that sweat during my 310km of commuting will have to go somewhere...

:lol:

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 14 Jan 2019, 7:41 am

victor wrote:If I'm not at least 1kg lighter by Friday, I'm going to feel very cheated. All that sweat during my 310km of commuting will have to go somewhere...

Is that why it was so humid this morning??
Reaching new levels of softness!

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Fri 25 Jan 2019, 8:23 am

BOM is predicting 44 for Melbourne today and higher out in the northern suburbs. If it stays like that for the ride home, it will definitely be the hottest I've ridden in.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 25 Jan 2019, 9:11 am

Daicos Mullets wrote:BOM is predicting 44 for Melbourne today and higher out in the northern suburbs. If it stays like that for the ride home, it will definitely be the hottest I've ridden in.

Yes. Yesterday's 42 commute is the hottest I recall *seeing* on a ride before (same as up Tawonga Gap from Mt Beauty side). And the northern 'burbs usually add 2-4 degrees compared to Melbourne's forecast from what I can usually see. Add the slight incline and the headwind and it's just very nooooooo....

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 25 Jan 2019, 2:05 pm

The southerly winds and temperature drop is on its way................

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:06 pm

BOM is predicting heavy rain, with possible thunderstorms and flash flooding, for the late afternoon and early evening. Sounds right around the homeward commute time!

victor

Postby victor » Wed 06 Feb 2019, 2:58 pm

Daicos Mullets wrote:BOM is predicting heavy rain, with possible thunderstorms and flash flooding, for the late afternoon and early evening. Sounds right around the homeward commute time!

I very much doubt it. Based on the current radar loop, the band of heavy rain won't reach Melbourne until late evening. I almost wish I hadn't taken my overshoes with me this morning in a rear jersey pocket, because I'll probably not use them.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 07 Feb 2019, 9:13 am

victor wrote:
Daicos Mullets wrote:BOM is predicting heavy rain, with possible thunderstorms and flash flooding, for the late afternoon and early evening. Sounds right around the homeward commute time!

I very much doubt it. Based on the current radar loop, the band of heavy rain won't reach Melbourne until late evening. I almost wish I hadn't taken my overshoes with me this morning in a rear jersey pocket, because I'll probably not use them.

Yeh, never looked likely and happy I left the wet weather bike at home.
Looks like a chance of showers throughout the day today.

H

Postby H » Wed 15 Jan 2020, 4:25 pm

look out - here it comes!

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Thu 16 Jan 2020, 9:42 am

That was a massive storm last night. Fortunately there wasn't much wind, so although I got pretty wet, my ride home was pretty straight forward. Lots of thunder and lightning, but only a couple were particularly close by. There was some flooding on the Moonee Ponds Creek, but it was clear again this morning.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 16 Jan 2020, 9:48 am

It was like having a warm shower all the way home.

Return to “Cycling discussion”