Bikes outsell cars - again

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
weg

Bikes outsell cars - again

Postby weg » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 10:37 am

I haven't seen this mentioned already. Bikes outsold cars again last year according to CPF (1.3 million bikes) while SMH reports just over 1 million cars (25 per cent of them 4WDs and SUVs, grr).

CPF wrote:2010 has continued a decade of dominance with bicycles outselling cars each year for the past decade by over 2,000,000. Over 11.5 million bikes were sold in that time.

edit: Interesting breakdown of bike sales.
CPF wrote:Import statistics to the end of November 2010 indicate that the Australian bicycle industry will import over 1.3million bicycles in 2010. This is the second highest total in history, second only to the record numbers imported in 2007. The improvements in import figures have been large increases in the adult bike category with children’s bike numbers consistent for the past five years.

In reviewing the previous ten years, the numbers of children’s bikes has shown much smaller change, only increasing by 5 to 10% from 2000 levels, while during the same period adult bikes have almost doubled. These imports, which act as a projection of expected sales in the coming months, demonstrate some increased confidence in the market and an expectation that the industry is slowly working through the impact of the Global Financial Crisis.

Pete

Re: Bikes outsell cars - again

Postby Pete » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 11:43 am

weg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned already. Bikes outsold cars again last year according to CPF (1.3 million bikes) while SMH reports just over 1 million cars (25 per cent of them 4WDs and SUVs, grr).

And that bike figure won't include all the n+1's built up out of frames and parts bought on-line or through various Ebay purchases and swap-meet sales. Lots of cycling enthusiasts do this - relatively few cars get built this way (restorations excluded)

Captain Slow

Postby Captain Slow » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 12:26 pm

Pete wrote:
weg wrote:I haven't seen this mentioned already. Bikes outsold cars again last year according to CPF (1.3 million bikes) while SMH reports just over 1 million cars (25 per cent of them 4WDs and SUVs, grr).

And that bike figure won't include all the n+1's built up out of frames and parts bought on-line or through various Ebay purchases and swap-meet sales. Lots of cycling enthusiasts do this - relatively few cars get built this way (restorations excluded)

Yes but it will include half a million Huffys bought from K-mart as Xmas presents for the kids. A lot of them will end up on the footpath for annual hard rubbish collections. I'd want to see a break down of those bike sales figures before I started cheering, like where they were bought, the size and type of bike etc.

Riding Every Day

Postby Riding Every Day » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 12:53 pm

I've often wondered about those sale numbers too.

There must be a massive number of little childrens bikes and K-Mart rubbish bikes that are destined to be thrown in the garden shed within a few weeks.

/slightly OT/
I visited a mate in the outer western suburbs a few weeks back. His garden shed contains no less than five bikes, (all of them I'd classify as Huffy equivalent or worse) and none of them have seen the light of day in more than two years. None of them look like they've ever been ridden further than perhaps around the block.
This bloke has two teenage kids who both work different jobs at the massive shopping centre which you can see from the end of the street. Naturally they both drive their own cars to work!!
Do you really need a fvcking law to tell you not to text & drive?

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 12:58 pm

Psst. Not sure why you guys are trying talk the figures down :? .

Hint: it's a PR war and we want to see more people buying (and using) bicycles. If people can be convinced that riding bcycles is the next hot thing, they're more likely to go out and do it - which is what I want to see.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 1:00 pm

I don't think talking the figures down on these forums will make any difference, as the majority of those who read these forums are probably already converted to cycling.

schwarz

Postby schwarz » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 1:07 pm

Pete wrote:Psst. Not sure why you guys are trying talk the figures down :? .

Hint: it's a PR war and we want to see more people buying (and using) bicycles. If people can be convinced that riding bcycles is the next hot thing, they're more likely to go out and do it - which is what I want to see.

+1. Because some of those Huffys on the nature strip are the result of upgraditis. :wink:

Shaken but stirred.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 1:07 pm

Riding Every Day wrote:I
I visited a mate in the outer western suburbs a few weeks back. His garden shed contains no less than five bikes, (all of them I'd classify as Huffy equivalent or worse) and none of them have seen the light of day in more than two years. None of them look like they've ever been ridden further than perhaps around the block.

I visited a mate in the outer western suburbs a few years back. His back/front yards contained no less than seven cars, (all of them I'd classify as far from roadworthy, or worse) and none of them had seen a road in more than two years...
:wink:

(Although, yes, I think they HAD been someones primary method of transport at some stage).

Riding Every Day

Postby Riding Every Day » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 1:21 pm

baudman wrote:
Riding Every Day wrote:I

I visited a mate in the outer western suburbs a few years back. His back/front yards contained no less than seven cars, (all of them I'd classify as far from roadworthy, or worse) and none of them had seen a road in more than two years...
:wink:

(Although, yes, I think they HAD been someones primary method of transport at some stage).

:lol: We might be talking about the same guy.
Do you really need a fvcking law to tell you not to text & drive?

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 2:37 pm

victor wrote:I don't think talking the figures down on these forums will make any difference, as the majority of those who read these forums are probably already converted to cycling.

Well, as we discovered in an old thread the number of people reading these forums is less than one thousand - which is a very small and insignificant number compared to the number of bicycles sold.

Pete

Postby Pete » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 2:56 pm

3793 members, not all of them posting. No surprises there.

But you don't need to be a member to read this forum. Many thousands more (often BV newbies) might well be reading for cycling info.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 3:31 pm

Well, even if there are 4 non-member readers for each member you're still talking less than one percent of the number of bicycles sold. Or less than 0.3% of the Melbourne population. Not enough to influence a Government.

haitch

Postby haitch » Mon 10 Jan 2011, 4:14 pm

To all you new readers, then, please stop buying rubbish bicycles!

I have a feeling that people who go and get those landfill bikes try it and don't enjoy their experience very much, and said Huffys can take a fair chunk of blame for that.

thekovac

Postby thekovac » Tue 11 Jan 2011, 12:24 am

I can only see this as a good thing. More bikes means potentially more riders - and we all know what that means :)

As someone who worked over the chrissy period at both my local kmart and bikestore I was quite suprised to see a fairly low movement in terms of bikes at my kmart store. Our christmas layby pallet from the July Toysale barely had 20 bikes on it (most of which were childrens bikes) which was a little surprising. I also didn't see us stocking the shelves and receiving large shipments of bikes either. My kmart store is relatively small so that could be the reason why so little bikes were ordered/received/sold.

Either way we'll see them probs in your local bikestore wondering how the costs to repair the bike are 3x the cost of the purchase bike...which will probs lead them to buy a proper one....

I love seeing cyclists out on the roads and in the last few years there has been a massive increase - keep em rolling on I say! Pedal Melbourne Pedal!
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride." - JFK

biftek

Postby biftek » Tue 11 Jan 2011, 3:46 pm

the gf brought her 14yo kid a bike for xmas , a kmart special i wanted to get something a bit more decent , but i am glad that i didn't , he has ridden it once and that was just to please mum , he rode it 4houses up the street and back again and threw the bike in the backyard where it has stayed , the only time the bike has been moved since is when i had to mow the lawn

xbox kinnect wins over

Return to “Cycling discussion”