Forums have been upgraded

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Ben Sturmfels
Site Admin

Forums have been upgraded

Postby Ben Sturmfels » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 3:26 am

Hi Folks, as I'm sure you can see, we've just performed an upgrade to the Forums. This should hopefully bring in many new benefits and address some of the recent instability. Please let us know if you come across any issues by posting in this topic.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Forums have been upgraded

Postby Snuffy » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 5:44 am

Looks good Ben.

Although HTML in posts appears to have been disabled....
Reaching new levels of softness!

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:22 am

IMHO, the old format was more gentle on the eyes but I'm sure I'll get used to this - I'm not always one for change :oops:
velocified

Luke52

Postby Luke52 » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:29 am

Tis different.
Hairy-legged, MTB riding teenage ruffian.

Duckmeister's apprentice.

victor

Postby victor » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:35 am

Is there a problem with the Search function? I tried using Advanced Search | Search for Keywords in all forums, entering *ticket* as the search term, as I knew that word appeared in numerous posts. It found no matches. I tried similar searches for Author and they worked fine. Can anyone else confirm that Search by Keyword works?

Thanks,

--- Victor.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:45 am

victor wrote:Is there a problem with the Search function? I tried using Advanced Search | Search for Keywords in all forums, entering *ticket* as the search term, as I knew that word appeared in numerous posts. It found no matches. I tried similar searches for Author and they worked fine. Can anyone else confirm that Search by Keyword works?

Appears to be the case - I searched for "park"
Reaching new levels of softness!

rossco

Postby rossco » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:51 am

Older version definitely better on the eyes, and is there a need for the large phpBB logo in the top left corner?

I'd recommend a darker background for the entire forums to make it easier to distinguish the posting screens... maybe a charcoal or dark grey.
he can be anything that you want him to

victor

Postby victor » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:52 am

Snuffy wrote:
victor wrote:Is there a problem with the Search function? I tried using Advanced Search | Search for Keywords in all forums, entering *ticket* as the search term, as I knew that word appeared in numerous posts. It found no matches. I tried similar searches for Author and they worked fine. Can anyone else confirm that Search by Keyword works?

Appears to be the case - I searched for "park"
Sorry, but what appears to be the case? That there's a problem, or that it works?

victor

Postby victor » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 7:57 am

Someone please tell me if this is wrong, but as far as I can tell, keyword searches only return matches for posts added after the upgrade! :shock: I tried this with numerous posts before and after Ben Sturmfels' announcement, and it's pretty consistent. It's almost as if an indexing operation needs to be performed on the existing posts (although that could be time-consuming).

[edit]Tested this again on the last 2 posts (currently timestamped 13 Oct 2009 23:24 and 14 Oct 2009 07:33) of the "National Ride to Work Day" thread in the "Commuters discussion" forum, and only got a match for the last post. The 2nd last post preceded the upgrade, and didn't appear in the list of matches.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 8:46 am

It didn't want to let me login the first time this morning (normally I set to auto login), claiming my password couldn't be transferred in the upgrade. Tried again & it was fine. As for the layout, well it was a slight surprise to find it switched so suddenly, but the other forum I visit has been this way for a while, so it's familiar to me. As long as it doesn't freeze when trying to post or open a new page like it has been doing for a while I'm happy.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

Euan

Postby Euan » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:02 am

Hmmm. You know think I'm gonna have to stop running my browser full screen for these forums.

*shrinks window*

Ah yes, that's better. Will take some getting used to for sure.
Anonymity is a shield from the tyranny of the majority. . . .

weg

Postby weg » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:18 am

Hard to read. And annoying that you have to go back to the index to access new posts. Hope you can fix the search to find pre-'upgrade' terms.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:26 am

*Shiny new forum smell*

Reserve my judgement until I've had more of a play.

icarus_m

Postby icarus_m » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:27 am

Maybe I'm just being fussy, but why move the avataars to the right? Forums have had them on the left as far back as I can remember. It's a natural progression to see who made the post and then continue reading the post.
oh yes, and you kids get off my lawn.

matagi

Postby matagi » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 9:37 am

Hey, who rearranged the furniture while I was gone?

Like the colour (it's one of my favourites :P ) but I do not like the username/avatar on the right and I do not like the massive phpBB logo in the top left hand corner.

Return to “Cycling discussion”