Forums have been upgraded

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Re: Forums have been upgraded

Postby baudman » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:46 pm

Snuffy wrote:
Ben Sturmfels wrote:
Snuffy wrote:HTML in posts appears to have been disabled....

Sorry Snuffy, the new forums software doesn't support posting HTML. You'll need to make use of BBcode to insert images and links now.

That's a real pain in the bum for people who use the HTML/URL generators in online photo storage sites like Picasa.... I'm sure it's not just me who uses that....

I used it to add pix from flickr (when I remembered)

vidman

Postby vidman » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:47 pm

Hate the avatars on the RHS.
Its counter intuitive.
We read from left to right and knowing who the post is from BEFORE you read the message is just common sense.
Now I have to look to the right, then back to the left to start the post.
Really poor usability design. Two thumbs down.
So, do you like... STUFF?

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:49 pm

Atom Ant wrote:... however, the members list does not allow sorting. It allows selection by first letter (an improvement), but within that, the members are listed in join date order. If I don't know when someone joined then I would need to search through several pages.

If you click on the Column Headings (eg username, rank, posts etc) the page is sorted by that column. Try it, if post click on posts it then sorts the members by number of posts.

Username Posts Website, Location Joined Last active
Percrime 14946 Sun 26 Feb 2006, 2:58 am Wed 14 Oct 2009, 10:31 am
parawolf 13102 Back in the saddle Fri 18 Nov 2005, 2:18 pm Tue 13 Oct 2009, 2:57 pm
lisanne 11788 http://www.imagesbylisa.com.auMernda Thu 23 Feb 2006, 9:23 am Mon 12 Oct 2009, 12:50 pm
roshea 9380 Sun 24 Sep 2006, 5:52 pm Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:49 pm
Shaz 8132 looking for Toto.... Thu 15 Dec 2005, 10:36 am Fri 09 Oct 2009, 3:42 pm
Snuffy 7802 http://www.wurple.net/ Wed 07 Sep 2005, 9:04 am Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:43 pm
Atomic Kitten 7628 vewwy, vewwy cwose... shhhhh Wed 11 Apr 2007, 12:43 pm Sun 11 Oct 2009, 3:40 pm
vidman 7331 http://www.vidmandesign.com/Northcote Wed 08 Aug 2007, 1:26 pm Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:49 pm

Get the idea.

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Postby roshea » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:53 pm

smc wrote:
roshea wrote:
Bleve wrote:external (url) links no longer go to new browser pages, which is probably not what was intended with the upgrade.

Hmm. That's certainly something I would like re-instated!

Can hold down "Ctrl" when clicking the link, should open in a new window or tab.

Ah, thanks!

On the plus, there are loads more superpowers for volunteer moderators hidden underneath this version . . . :twisted:

Office use only.

bc

Postby bc » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 12:55 pm

vidman wrote:Hate the avatars on the RHS.
Its counter intuitive.
We read from left to right and knowing who the post is from BEFORE you read the message is just common sense.
Now I have to look to the right, then back to the left to start the post.
Really poor usability design. Two thumbs down.

Yep. Having had the dubious "pleasure" of training mainframe developers in user interface basics years ago (around Win3.0 / 3.1 time) I'm still amazed that people don't understand the basics, and they don't seem to be taught :roll:

Ben Sturmfels
Site Admin

Postby Ben Sturmfels » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 1:21 pm

Thanks for your comments regarding moving poster information to the right. This upgrade has taken rather a lot of work, so I'm not able to justify spending further time today tweaking. Let's stick with the default template for two weeks and I'll try to find time to enable an alternative template with poster information on the left.

ma64rk
Location: Lower...lower...to the left...ahhh thats where it itches!

Postby ma64rk » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 1:22 pm

Very cool :D
Ya ridin' or ya hidin?

stubacca

Postby stubacca » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 1:24 pm

Other than the avatar on the right, it looks good. Thanks for your efforts, Ben & everyone else involved.

A username does appear above all the posts just beside the post date & time, so I'm already finding I'm looking at that rather than the avatars. Not perfect, but it works. :)

jmcleod

Postby jmcleod » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 1:37 pm

stubacca wrote:Other than the avatar on the right, it looks good. Thanks for your efforts, Ben & everyone else involved.

A username does appear above all the posts just beside the post date & time, so I'm already finding I'm looking at that rather than the avatars. Not perfect, but it works. :)

I'm with Stu on this one - reading the name at the top of the post is easy, and you can recognise and identify the avatar from the corner of your eye if you need to. It also makes it easier to read at work - the old layout meant you had to move the avatars off the left of the screen, and you couldn't tell who wrote the post. Now you move the avatars off the right, and the name is still at the top :)

And the site is fast. Good job guys - although I must say an announcement would have been nice - I refreshed last night just after the change and figured the style sheet was gone. Shocked to see it was still "gone" this morning :)

vidman

Postby vidman » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 1:42 pm

Ben Sturmfels wrote:Thanks for your comments regarding moving poster information to the right. This upgrade has taken rather a lot of work, so I'm not able to justify spending further time today tweaking. Let's stick with the default template for two weeks and I'll try to find time to enable an alternative template with poster information on the left.

Using firebug, I did 5 mins worth of fiddling to swap the avatars to the rhs.
I have done no testing in multiple browsers or OS, but at first glance this should do the job with zero stress.

This is what you need to change in your css-

Change the float to to right in the .postbody style-
.postbody {
clear:both;
color:#333333;
float:right;
line-height:1.48em;
padding:0;
width:76%;
}

Change the float to to left in the .postprofile style-
.postprofile {
border-left:1px solid #FFFFFF;
color:#666666;
display:inline;
float:left;
margin:5px 0 10px;
min-height:80px;
width:22%;
}

Also, I would change the .postprofile style to a set width (eg- 100px) and then set the .postbody style width to 100%.
That should fix it (you may need to fiddle a bit with the widths as that was just off the top of my head).

Edit- Actually, don't make the postbody 100% as that will make the line length too long (poor usability).
Make it a set width so the avatar and the post combine to be 960px in width.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 2:20 pm

so we've been upgraded from crome moly to carbon fibre ... its ok.
__________flow................___________

vidman

Postby vidman » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 2:28 pm

mtb101 wrote:so we've been upgraded from crome moly to carbon fibre ... its ok.

Yes, but the handlebars are now behind the saddle! :lol:

Bleve

Postby Bleve » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 2:34 pm

Snuffy wrote:
matagi wrote:That seems to be a retrograde step surely?

It's a security thing.... allowing all types of HTML code introduces some security issues....

Many CMS's deal with this quite successfully, without resorting to yet another 'standard' typesetting language. They simply have an 'allowed' list of HTML tags.
I like cats, I can eat a whole one

mags...

Postby mags... » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 3:32 pm

A forum I'm a mod on (nothing to do with cycling) did a similar upgrade recently (phpBB version 3.0.4), and we briefly considered this style (is it prosilver?), but we ended up with a much nicer subsilver2 style. One big difference is it includes a 'previous topic | next topic' function, it's neater, tidier and less confusing.

Jugglingogre

Postby Jugglingogre » Wed 14 Oct 2009, 3:35 pm

I'd also like to have the navigation line at the bottom of the page as well ie Board Index<General<cycling discussions so that we don't have to scroll up to go back or to the board index etc. This would replace the "return to Cycling discussions" link at the bottom using this forum (cycling discussions) as the example.

Cheers

Pete
N+1...My daughter gets it, SWMBO doesn't :?

Return to “Cycling discussion”