How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
TrikeTragic

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby TrikeTragic » Fri 10 Apr 2020, 5:05 pm

Busy! :)

Eltham to Heidelberg via Main Yarra Trail, then return to Briar Hill using via the Viewbank path, and eventually Plenty River trail, Monty and back to Briar Hill. About 27 km, an hour and 45 minutes, at average 15 kph - getting back on the trike after 12 months rest with a basketball leg injury.

Main Yarra trail had it all (and plenty of it): cyclists, solo and in presumably family groups. joggers, walkers, prams, scooters, one wheelchair, run-bikes and toddlers. Oh, and dogs. And one tri-cyclist.... ;)

All socially distanced of course (and pretty much they were).

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

jvb

Postby jvb » Sat 11 Apr 2020, 9:44 am

The Dandenongs were packed yesterday morning. More cyclists than cars.
A few police cars but they seemed to leave everyone alone.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sat 11 Apr 2020, 1:54 pm

Conversely, it was very quiet today. I guess the weather will do that.
Hardly anyone out on the Boulies.
Yesterday I got out early before it got busy. I could see the crowds heading out Eltham way on my return journey.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 11 Apr 2020, 2:01 pm

Frosty wrote:I rode the same route again this morning, as I did yesterday. Seaworld Drive is still not barricaded but this morning there were 5 cars in The Spit carpark. That is more good luck than good fortune, as the surf has been blown apart with the strong winds, so there were no surfers. Wait and see what happens when the surf is better.

Rode the same route today, which is my normal route.
(Labrador-Bigger Ck-MacIntosh island-Surfers-The Spit-MacIntosh island-Labrador) about 40+kms.
I rode on the road (from macIntosh to surfers to The spit to MacIntosh Is) as there were too many people on the shared path.
On TV the news stated that Seaworld Drive is closed. I rode it this morning and spoke to the Traffic Controllers on duty and was pleasantly surprised when they told me the road is only blocked for cars and only until Tuesday, then the barricades will be moved. I will believe it when I see it.

Keep safe everyone, hope to ride again on Monday.

Frosty.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 11 Apr 2020, 2:05 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:Busy! :)

Eltham to Heidelberg via Main Yarra Trail, then return to Briar Hill using via the Viewbank path, and eventually Plenty River trail, Monty and back to Briar Hill. About 27 km, an hour and 45 minutes, at average 15 kph - getting back on the trike after 12 months rest with a basketball leg injury.

Main Yarra trail had it all (and plenty of it): cyclists, solo and in presumably family groups. joggers, walkers, prams, scooters, one wheelchair, run-bikes and toddlers. Oh, and dogs. And one tri-cyclist.... ;)

All socially distanced of course (and pretty much they were).

Cheers

Alan,
Good to hear that you are back on your trike.
Take care and keep safe.
Frosty.

H

Postby H » Sat 11 Apr 2020, 4:08 pm

As I'm not commuting at the moment, I guess my ride fits here! A nice 38km loop north on the Moonee Ponds Creek trail to the ring road then south on the Merri Creek trail and home. Pretty busy with families walking/riding on the creek trails, but pretty deserted on the ring road trail. Bailed out the the Merri Creek trail just south of Moreland Rd, just got too narrow and congested, with so few cars on the road Lygon St was a viable option!

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Mon 13 Apr 2020, 7:52 pm

Did one of my WFH loops but, since I then didn't WFH, I'll drop it in here.

What a lovely day! Riding comfortably in summer rig, but noting an autumnal nip in the air in the shadows - bladdy bootiful!
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 14 Apr 2020, 9:55 am

rgcrgc wrote:Did one of my WFH loops but, since I then didn't WFH, I'll drop it in here.

What a lovely day! Riding comfortably in summer rig, but noting an autumnal nip in the air in the shadows - bladdy bootiful!

It's prime riding conditions at the moment.
Rode out to Mile High Monday morning; a bit smoggy and the view obscured, but otherwise it was a terrific morning for a ride. Roads are so quiet, all ride options are wide open now.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 15 Apr 2020, 6:54 pm

http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/Bike-Routes/Bike-201902-my-rides.html#ride51

After I left the Spit, I watched the workers unload a bit of machinery for the recycled water project. As I turned around and slowly rode back my BLOODY DERAILLEUR broke and went into the spokes breaking 2 spokes. Lucky, I wasn't going faster.

Naturally, I stopped and looked at the mess. My bike was unrideable, SO what do I do. I had a cabletie in my saddlebag and tied the derailleur up out of the way. I took the chain off the front cluster and lowered my seat so I could roll and use my feet to propel me along. I messaged Marg that I had bike troubles and then started my 10km roll home. I had just gone through the barricade when Marg rang and suggested that she come in Spotto (Hyundai Accent) and that I lock my bike up and then go home and come back in my Dual Cab Ute. Great idea. We agreed to met at Seaworld carpark. I got there, spoke to the security guard who allowed me to lock my bike up there.

We drove home and I returned in my Ute, thanked the guard for allowing me to leave my bike there and drove straight to Gold Coast cycles and they will ring me with a quote. I left there and drove to my youngest son's house and picked up my 2nd MTB as he isn't using it.

So that was my ride. A real prick of a day.

Frosty.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 15 Apr 2020, 8:32 pm

^ Worst. Ride. Ever.

Or close to it ;)

Sorry to hear about the luck. Hope you are back on wheels.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 15 Apr 2020, 9:19 pm

Doesn't sounds like a great day.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 16 Apr 2020, 10:17 am

^^^^
Commizzerashuns Frosty! Derailleur into spokes is never pretty (I have recent experience... :cry: )

Yesterday's ride - lovely Autumn day....Briar Hill to Diamond Creek, Broadgully Road, Hurstbridge and return via Diamond Creek - Eltham shared path. 32 km ride with those Broadgully Road hills to stretch the legs and make those other bits do some work. And they did.

Plenty of other riders out, quite a few roadies and the occasional MTB passed me on the road ride out of Diamond Creek, most with a friendly Hi or Howareya as they sailed passed. Very light vehicle traffic.

Observed a minor altercation on the Diamond Creek path near Eltham North. Rider approaching, bloke in his late thirties or early forties with one or two kids and a young German Shepherd trailing him, the dog unleashed and wandering across the path. The bloke sees me approaching and calls the dog to him and commands it to sit, which it duly does in the middle of the path. He' and his accompanying kids are now stopped also, so there's a wonderful block in over half the trail. Two serious looking MTB riders forced to pull up behind this little gaggle. I roll through slowly, then the MTB's pass this bloke, one of the riders must have said something as they passed (perhaps not complementary) whereupon Old Mate unloads at full voice, calling into dispute the MTB rider's parentage and inviting him to come back and resolve the matter physically.

Perhaps not great grasp of the responsibilities here - unrestrained dog on a shared path (it's definitely not an off-leash area for dogs), and uncontrolled gaggle when he stopped blocking most of the path. And maybe anger management issues.

Didn't spoil a magnificent day's ride.... :)

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 16 Apr 2020, 12:43 pm

Speaking of dogs, I headed out around 6am this morning and it's still pitch black.
A guy is walking his completely back dog, the size of a small horse, completely unrestrained on the Anniversary trail near home.
Just as well I've got good lights, because it wouldn't have been pretty.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 16 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Problem solved.

I have ordered a new Giant Talon 29er 3 XL. The bike that I destroyed yesterday was a 2013 Giant Talon 29er XL that had done just under 26,000kms.
my thoughts were it was time to be replaced, so it was.
Hopefully it is ready towards the end of next week.

I have made my old MTB rideable (I hope) to tie me over until the newie arrives.

Frosty.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 16 Apr 2020, 2:59 pm

Always a good reason to get a new bike!
Well done!

Return to “Cycling discussion”