How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 12:45 pm

Short 18km trip with the Boy on the tagalong. I have work to do, but shifting hrs some to work around him.

Saw lots of birds, several walkers and a few riders, one happy energetic dog and one very friendly pup. Paddock of roos.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 7:48 pm

Claude Cat wrote:Looks nice Frosty.

There is always many things which are nice to see.

smitty

Postby smitty » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 4:18 pm

Haven't left the house for over a week been working from home
so thought I would do a couple of laps of the moonee ponds creek path
I think I found where everyone is and
apparently its a great day to let your kids wander all over the path
made me think of forest gump when I saw he was in hospital in QLD
no not
life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get
I was thinking
stupid is stupid does

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 4:39 pm

smitty wrote:Haven't left the house for over a week been working from home
so thought I would do a couple of laps of the moonee ponds creek path
I think I found where everyone is and
apparently its a great day to let your kids wander all over the path
made me think of forest gump when I saw he was in hospital in QLD
no not
life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get
I was thinking
stupid is stupid does

No, bike paths are not the place to go.
Much better to make a circuit around your residential streets.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 29 Mar 2020, 2:03 pm

Just had to walk down the road, Anniversary Trail crosses the road not 100m from home.
A non-ending line of cyclists riding the trail, probably saw 50 in the space of a few minutes.

But the roads themselves, are terrific, hardly any traffic at all. Pity it takes a tragic event like this to make it prime to ride the roads. :(

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:54 am

I went for a ride up and down the Darebin Creek on Saturday, it was such a beautiful day. There were lots of other walkers and riders with the same idea, but everyone was pretty well behaved.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Mon 30 Mar 2020, 5:20 pm

Just a beautiful, glassy day on The Broadwater this morning.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:55 pm

12km with the Boy, then the scooter.
Wanting to go do a sunrise ride with him but it was too cloudy this morning. Trying to get one in before clock's change. He's keen.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu 02 Apr 2020, 2:40 pm

It'll be easier when the clocks change won't it ? Sun will be up earlier … or is getting out early the problem? :?

Either way - good luck ! ;)
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

jvb

Postby jvb » Thu 02 Apr 2020, 3:08 pm

cyclotaur wrote:It'll be easier when the clocks change won't it ? Sun will be up earlier … or is getting out early the problem? :?

With many people working from home just don't change the clock. Your body won't know, get up at the same time and pretend it is still daylight saving.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 02 Apr 2020, 5:32 pm

We went the other day :)
He actually complained when the sun came up because he said he wanted to ride in the dark longer :roll: He likes driving at night, and apparently the lights on the bike and the darkness of the trails also preferable... Esp seeing the stars!

2cvmad

Postby 2cvmad » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

Now that im WFH i went out for an exercise ride in my local suburbs this morning and I was surprised how may people were out walking and riding. Being the first dry morning in a few days certainly contributed im sure.

2cvmad

Postby 2cvmad » Tue 07 Apr 2020, 8:30 pm

Now that im WFH i went out for an exercise ride in my local suburbs this morning and I was surprised how may people were out walking and riding. Being the first dry morning in a few days certainly contributed im sure.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 08 Apr 2020, 2:35 pm

Today's Highlight, was checking out what the council had closed.

I left at 7:08am and the breeze started off blowing and increased from the South.

As usual, I rode Northward to my Lands End turnaround point. I continued down to MacIntosh Is. Goosey Lucy and mates were out and enjoying life. I rode a lap and a half of the park.
I headed to Surfers along the Esplanade shared path, and stopped at my usual spot near Hanlan St and took my weather photos. The Surfers Paradise beach is now closed. I photographed the barricaded entrances to the beach. With the beautiful Southerly at my back, I cruised towards The Spit.

As I do everytime, I rode the gravel Federation Walk track, Well NOT TODAY. The council have barricaded the Federation Walk entrance. BUT not to be outsmarted there was another entrance from The Philp Park carpark, so I rode there and sure enough it was open, so I continued on my merry way to The Spit. Every path that led to the beach was barricaded with a sign saying "BEACH CLOSED". I continued unimpeded to the Sand Pumping Pier where I have to stop and walk under the pier due to the very soft, loose sand. Continued to the Seawall about 50 meters on from the pier.
PROBLEM BIG TIME: They have barricaded the exit of the Federation Walk with a 1 meter high obstacle. ****... I am trapped.
Problem solved I lifted my bike over the obstacle and then I climbed over it which nearly killed me. I am carrying quiet a few kgs more than the last time I climbed over a fence. :) Continued out to the end of The Spit, but it was too windy and wet from the spray to sit and eat my bananas, so I rode the length of the inshore Spit (Moondarewa Spit). I was the only cyclist and a few walkers, then around the shared path that surround the Doug Jennings park.

I finally sat on the seawall and ate my bananas before heading back along Seaworld Dve to see where the council had barricaded the road. There were about 20 cars in the section of the carpark that wasn't blocked off. I stopped and took a photo of the barricaded carpark. Continuing on, along Seaworld Dve, I passed a few cars heading to the Spit. I expected the road to be blocked at Seaworld theme Park, as there is a big roundabout there and it makes sense to block it there. As I rode along I took note of the paths leading to the Beach, there were 2 that I could easily ride along for next time I ride Federation Walk, if it isn't completely blocked off. Anyway as I approached Seaworld, there was no barricades, so I expected one at Marina Mirage - NOPE. As it turned out there are currently no barriacdes along Seaworld Dve, so any motorist could easily drive to the Spit. I will check this out on Friday's ride.

I continued back to MacIntosh Island, stopped for some water and saw Goosey Lucy and mates still enjoying life. Then I rode home with a beautiful tailwind.
Another brilliant ride.

The barricaded entrances to Surfers Paradise beach.

8:00am - at Surfers - looking North.

8:00am - at Surfers - looking East.

8:00am - at Surfers - looking South.

The Spit - closed off carpark.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 09 Apr 2020, 12:58 pm

I rode the same route again this morning, as I did yesterday. Seaworld Drive is still not barricaded but this morning there were 5 cars in The Spit carpark. That is more good luck than good fortune, as the surf has been blown apart with the strong winds, so there were no surfers. Wait and see what happens when the surf is better.

Return to “Cycling discussion”