How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Frosty » Sat 31 Oct 2020, 7:50 am

Yesterday's ride was just a beautiful day.

All the 13 Goosey Lucy and mates were off their island, enjoying life.

Peter Peacock, just showing off, by balancing on the bench seat.

Yesterday's ride details: http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/Bike-Routes/Bike-202008-my-rides.html#ride22

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sat 31 Oct 2020, 4:50 pm

Looks beautiful Frosty.
Dull and cold here. Also a gazillion riding Beach rd this morning.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 02 Nov 2020, 8:22 pm

Bit shy of 40km out solo on the MTB in a combo of roads, paths, and trails along the creeks/river. Did a big loop, returning finally by St Georges Rd in the heat of the late afternoon /early evening.

The last 10km were hard. Bonked, massive sinus headache. Couple painkillers and a bath at home, dinner and a beer. Feeling quite normal again.

Need to get some fitness back, yikes.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Tue 03 Nov 2020, 11:08 am

I don't think you have too much to worry about Canuck. From my own experience, and I have read other people making the same claim, regaining fitness is quicker and easier than obtaining it in the first place. Another ride or two and you will probably be back up to speed. Now that I only do long rides on my holidays which are spaced several months apart, this is what I have learned.
Still posting. Still riding.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 03 Nov 2020, 9:14 pm

Matt1 wrote:I don't think you have too much to worry about Canuck. From my own experience, and I have read other people making the same claim, regaining fitness is quicker and easier than obtaining it in the first place. Another ride or two and you will probably be back up to speed. Now that I only do long rides on my holidays which are spaced several months apart, this is what I have learned.

Thanks, yes....
But I only ride about once a month now... Under 20km a ride... The other rides are coasting alongside a child, so not riding....... Hardly my previous commutes of 20-60km a day solo :lol: And it's been a few years of lack of riding/running, so nothing like previous fitness. So it depends on the definition of 'fit'. My expectations.... Also, running fitness is a harder gain than the regaining of riding fitness from my memory. My running is **** at the moment.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 14 Nov 2020, 4:13 pm

Today's recreational ride was very refreshing, thank you for asking. I started from East Malvern Station and took the Gardiner's Creek Trail towards Laburnum station. From the station I followed the path along the railway line until I reached the Eastlink trail where I turned off to ride back towards the city. The Eastlink trail became the Koonung Creek Trail [yes, that is the correct spelling, despite what the Autospellcheck claims] which lead me to the Outer Circle Trail, which brought me onto the Anniversary Trail for a return to East Malvern railway station. The weather was spot on and the trails were less populated than they were pre-COVID19, especially given the weather.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sat 14 Nov 2020, 5:19 pm

Matt1 wrote:Today's recreational ride was very refreshing, thank you for asking. I started from East Malvern Station and took the Gardiner's Creek Trail towards Laburnum station. From the station I followed the path along the railway line until I reached the Eastlink trail where I turned off to ride back towards the city. The Eastlink trail became the Koonung Creek Trail [yes, that is the correct spelling, despite what the Autospellcheck claims] which lead me to the Outer Circle Trail, which brought me onto the Anniversary Trail for a return to East Malvern railway station. The weather was spot on and the trails were less populated than they were pre-COVID19, especially given the weather.

It was certainly a nice day for a ride.
Concur - a whole lot less riders today. Beach rd was actually quite quiet, certainly compared to the mayhem for the previous two weekends.
Might push out into the hills tomorrow.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 14 Nov 2020, 7:55 pm

A nice photo from my ride on Wednesday.

The view from Muriel Henchman Park between Seaworld and The Spit

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 15 Nov 2020, 10:49 am

@Claude Cat - The quiet paths are in stark contrast to the roads over last few days. They have been choc-a-bloc with cars lately. I was on the Mornington Freeway during the week to see the outbound lanes in the afternoon become carpark which banked back onto Springvale Road. I was hoping to go for a ride down Beach Rd this morning but the weather has been damper than forecast.

@Frosty - It looks very peaceful in your neck of the woods.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 15 Nov 2020, 11:23 am

Matt1 wrote:snip, snip ...
@Frosty - It looks very peaceful in your neck of the woods.

Matt1, it is rather nice and peaceful
Frosty.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 15 Nov 2020, 5:18 pm

Yes, the roads have got quite busy.
Rode out to Kinglake this morning and on return Eltham was gridlock with cars everywhere.
Had a bit of everything today. Cool at first, warmed out rapidly. Pouring rain at St Andrews, blowing a gale at the top at Kinglake, more rain at St Andrews on the return and hot and sultry back in the 'burbs.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Tue 17 Nov 2020, 3:09 pm

Fantastic. I am glad the wind has dropped off a bit, which gave me a chance to ride a loop from Caulfield East on the Djerring trail, onto the Eastlink trail and followed by the Peninsula Link trail to Moorooduc. I returned up the Peninsula trail to the Baxter trail where I turned onto the Baxter trail towards Frankston. From Frankston I rode along the Nepean Hwy and Beach Rd back home. Probably the longest ride I have completed since the second lockdown started. Felt good to get out and about again, with the variety of sights, sounds and smells I have missed since being locked inside all day.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed 18 Nov 2020, 12:53 pm

Yesterday:

42 km Briar Hill - Eltham - Diamond Creek (shared path) - Kangaroo Ground - Panton Hill - Hurstbridge then home via Diamond Creek etc. Pleasant mostly sunny, warm ride, light breeze, notably more traffic than in Stage 4 restrictions.

Shared path via Eltham was quiet, plenty of parents, prams and kids at the new adventure play ground at the Diamond Creek end. Climb up Wattle Glen - Kangaroo Ground Rd was "steady", passed by what seemed quite a lot of vehicle traffic and a much faster roadie part way up, then held at the top for some road works and a friendly chat with the traffic controller.

Very pleasant roll along the ridge of the Panton Hills Rd, and then the woooo hoooo descent into Hurstbridge. Diamond Creek Rd quite busy with traffic coming towards Hurstbridge, reasonably OK going my way.

Legs felt suitably "worked " by the end of the ride. Lovely day on the mobile banana lounge. :lol:

Cheers
Trikester
Alan

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 19 Nov 2020, 10:30 am

Invigorating was how I experienced my recreational ride today. I headed out in the cool of the morning for a few laps around Albert Park Lake. Trying to take the corners on the GP circuit as fast as I could was a fun challenge and I was pleasantly surprised at how well my legs had recovered from Tuesday's effort. Traffic on the roads I took to get back home has increased substantially in the last few days, even after the peak hour and school run mayhem.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 21 Nov 2020, 8:30 pm

Cool cloudy morning gave way to sun and rising temp. I saw the Boy off to play cricket, then I did an out and back to Craigieburn. Warmer by then, I would've preferred the morning.
Otherwise, lovely ride. Lots of bunnies out there. Long grasses lapping at the edges of the path. Insects droning. Plenty of magpies but no swooping.....

Return to “Cycling discussion”