How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Fri 26 Mar 2021, 8:15 pm

About 35km, punctuated by a brewery stop. The second half of the ride, legs a bit dead from beer, headwind, more of a climb.
All good.
Nice day, good to see some of the changes to paths around Northland, as they've finished upgrading.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 29 Mar 2021, 8:30 am

Any of you ridden the Dandenongs lately? I was planning to ride there on Friday morning, since I live just under 11km from The Basin now, so I'm ideally situated for Dandenongs rides. I haven't ridden up there for several years, and was wondering how cyclist-friendly it is these days?

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 29 Mar 2021, 10:48 am

I wouldn't expect too many international tourist buses or hire cars up there. The Great Ocean Road was a locals only affair when I went out there recently - the Dandenongs attract a similar demographic. School holidays start and a public holiday/long weekend on Friday, so maybe some local tourist traffic. The situation with traffic is always changing since the start of the pandemic, so even recent experience may not be much of a guide to what happens in the near future.

If the Dandenong Ranges don't work out for you, I recommend the Yarra Ranges. Almost no traffic at all when I was there last week.
Still posting. Still riding.

jvb

Postby jvb » Mon 29 Mar 2021, 12:05 pm

victor wrote:Any of you ridden the Dandenongs lately? I was planning to ride there on Friday morning, since I live just under 11km from The Basin now, so I'm ideally situated for Dandenongs rides. I haven't ridden up there for several years, and was wondering how cyclist-friendly it is these days?

The Tourist Rd surface is pretty ordinary. Potholes and poorly repaired and crumbling edges. Has been like this for years and never seems to get a proper resurface. Monbulk - Olinda Rd is ok surface wise.
Expect lots of tourist motorists on the weekend who have no idea how to deal with cyclists on the road. Actually, many have no idea how to deal with anything on the road.

Did a bit of riding on Killara Rd and around Gruyere yesterday. Very pleasant indeed.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 08 Apr 2021, 9:29 am

Yesterday - late afternoon evening ride, starting around 5 and ending just after 6.30.

Left home in peak hour (usually avoid this...), Eltham - Diamond Creek path to Diamond Creek, Broadgully Road out of town then turned onto Wilsons Road to Wattle Glen. Arrive at the bridge to see.....the Diamond Creek path now extends to Wattle Glen! :D

What a joy to ride a wide, smooth well concreted path, marked with white lane divider lines. Lovely undulations, curvy route with a few tightish corners that might be tricky in the wet on two wheels, but are just damned fun on the trike. Three km of some of the best path I've ridden - and I will be back. The road through, and the exit north of Diamond Creek is busy (sometimes crazy busy) and this path puts you back on the road to Hurstbridge bypassing all of that.

If the eventual extension of the path to Hurstbridge is completed sometime soon, that would be just awesome. Not holding my breath though!

Cheers
Trikester
Alan

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 12:53 pm

Not by bike.
Hiked about 6.5km of sections of the Goldfield Track with the Boy, near Hepburn/Daylesford.
Signs up about an event, trail markers... then three guys coming from the opposite direction in the kind of kit I'd use for endurance events. Asked them what it was all for - they were out marking the trails for Gold Rush run. Nice area, I might consider it in future!

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 3:33 pm

Back riding after 6.5 weeks of NO RIDING.
Had a couple of skin cancers removed (the joys of being an old fart who loved the sun)
and then just as I was about to recommence riding, I put my back out and was bed ridden for 2 weeks and add to this.
THE WEATHER HAS BEEN SH!T. (I am a fair weather cyclist). :)

View across the Broadwater from the Moondarewa Spit.

At Narrowneck, looking towards Surfers.

Goosey Lucy and mates - missed me - at least someone missed me. :)

Today's Ride Report: http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/ ... ride202116

Frosty.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 5:03 pm

Good to hear TT had an awesome ride, and glad to hear you're back to it, Frosty.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 6:33 pm

Canuck wrote:Good to hear TT had an awesome ride, and glad to hear you're back to it, Frosty.

Thanks.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 09 Apr 2021, 7:02 pm

Welcome back Frosty!

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 10 Apr 2021, 7:36 am

Claude Cat wrote:Welcome back Frosty!

Thanks.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 11 Apr 2021, 4:01 pm

As I was driving back home from Runaway Bay shopping centre this morning, beside the Broadwater. I said 'stuff it, I need to go for a ride', So I did.
just my normal 40+kms from Labrador - Surfers - The Spit - Labrador.

Being Sunday and throw in school holidays. I think everyone in Australia were on my Shared paths today. But I expected it, so I wasn't disappointed.

Surfers' Beach had a good number on it.

The Paragliders were out in force.

So were the jetboats.

The YOT Club was out cruising the Broadwater - You can dine and drink on it.
(Our apartment building is the far right building in the photo).

Seaworld was chockers, even the overflow carpark was nearly full. Photo taken at 12:51pm, a lot later than I usually are there.

Today's ride Report: http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/ ... ride202117

Frosty.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 11 Apr 2021, 8:36 pm

^Your weather looks a little more pleasant than what we had in Melbourne today. Thank you for posting.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Mon 12 Apr 2021, 6:29 pm

matt,
It's not bad.
The locals are bitching about our overnight minimum of 13. We still have an overhead fan going during the night.
During the day, it is still shorts and t shirt weather.
Frosty.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Wed 14 Apr 2021, 9:31 am

Was yesterday, but it was good to get out of the city again. I started from Forrest in the Otways and followed Scenic Route #22 east along Kaanglang Rd and back around to the Mt Sabine Rd. This took me to the damp and windy Turton's Track, for a lunch stop at Beech Forest. I was intending to ride the rail trail from here but a section had been closed so I followed the gravel road up to Wimba to re-join the trail where it was still open. Great fun was had descending the empty trail until I got to Gellibrand. From Gellibrand I took the well made gravel roads back to Forrest, including an amazing descent along Road Knight Creek Road.

The trees look taller from a recumbent:

Return to “Cycling discussion”