How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Wed 17 Mar 2021, 8:26 pm

victor wrote:I've reached the limit of what rubbish I can tolerate from a certain forum member on this forum, so I'm out. Best wishes to those who were supportive and friendly.

--- Victor.

Not worth it, Victor.
Stick around. There aren't many of us left these days ;)

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 18 Mar 2021, 5:45 pm

Claude Cat wrote:Friend's work mate got pinged for 24 kph on Southbank Promenade today. Court summons.

I am sitting here in Labrador listening to 3AW on the internet.
A listener rang in to say her son got booked for riding at 24kph and the fine was $1,600 and her son had to attend court.

This doesn't sound correct $1,600 fine, does anyone know???????????

Frosty.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 18 Mar 2021, 5:50 pm

Frosty wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Friend's work mate got pinged for 24 kph on Southbank Promenade today. Court summons.

A listener rang in to say her son got booked for riding at 24kph and the fine was $1,600 and her son had to attend court.

Frosty.

Sounds about right. The fines go up every year, AFAIK. I got fined $1100 for riding on the tram tracks, and that was seven years ago.
Still posting. Still riding.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 18 Mar 2021, 10:34 pm

Frosty wrote:

Frosty.

Yes it's apparently right.
You can kill a cyclist with your SUV and get less.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 19 Mar 2021, 8:41 am

Claude Cat wrote:
Frosty wrote:

Frosty.

Yes it's apparently right.
You can kill a cyclist with your SUV and get less.

Unreal.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 19 Mar 2021, 10:46 am

victor wrote:I've reached the limit of what rubbish I can tolerate from a certain forum member on this forum, so I'm out. Best wishes to those who were supportive and friendly.

--- Victor.

Take your ball and go home if you must Victor.

A final thought using the reductio ad absurdum argument:
Under Victor's proposed law a large truck should incur a much heavier penalty than a small motor car because the truck will generate much more "kinetic energy"than the small car.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 19 Mar 2021, 10:53 am

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 19 Mar 2021, 11:42 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:

--- Victor.

Under Victor's proposed law a large truck should incur a much heavier penalty than a small motor car because the truck will generate much more "kinetic energy"than the small car.

Mike

I'm sorry Mike, that is just dumb and dumb.
Cyclist almost never every kill or injure others if they are involved in an accident.
Motorists will almost certainly kill or severely injure vulnerable road users.
And that's an undisputed fact.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 1:20 am

Yesterday I rode the trike from Aireys Inlet along the GOR to Skenes Creek, then up Mt Sabine and back through the Otway forest towards Lorne before returning along the GOR to Aireys Inlet. I found many fun corners on both the tar and gravel in this area, with luck I will return soon. The climb up Mt Sabine was manageable. Probably slower than the last time I took a two wheeler up there but a lot less strenuous. I am fitter now?

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 8:48 am

Matt1 wrote:Yesterday I rode the trike from Aireys Inlet along the GOR to Skenes Creek, then up Mt Sabine and back through the Otway forest towards Lorne before returning along the GOR to Aireys Inlet. I found many fun corners on both the tar and gravel in this area, with luck I will return soon. The climb up Mt Sabine was manageable. Probably slower than the last time I took a two wheeler up there but a lot less strenuous. I am fitter now?

I'd be nervous on parts of GOR, no shoulder, corners. I'm not familiar with the climb up Mt Sabine, though.

Good weather for it!

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 9:51 am

Most of the GOR has plenty of room on the shoulder, even for a trike. Just need to be prepared for some give and take when riding through the non-shouldered parts with passing traffic. Plenty of slow vehicle turnouts along the route too. With such low traffic yesterday it was easy, and drivers were patient when needed.

jvb

Postby jvb » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 11:59 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:A final thought using the reductio ad absurdum argument:

Mike

Which is the case in some European countries. Countries where cyclists are treated much better than here.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 12:28 pm

Canuck wrote:
Matt1 wrote:Yesterday I rode the trike from Aireys Inlet along the GOR to Skenes Creek, then up Mt Sabine and back through the Otway forest towards Lorne before returning along the GOR to Aireys Inlet. I found many fun corners on both the tar and gravel in this area, with luck I will return soon. The climb up Mt Sabine was manageable. Probably slower than the last time I took a two wheeler up there but a lot less strenuous. I am fitter now?

I'd be nervous on parts of GOR, no shoulder, corners. I'm not familiar with the climb up Mt Sabine, though.

Good weather for it!

The Mt Sabine climb is about 10 km of steady upness. Around 5% gradient if the climbing cyclist can be trusted. Some good views of the ocean can be had if you look back over your shoulder near the start of the climb. Further up the road passes through very scenic forest country. Turtons Track tourist drive is located near the top if you want to immerse yourself properly in nature.

http://theclimbingcyclist.com/climbs/gr ... reek-road/

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 4:00 pm

Claude Cat wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

--- Victor.

Mike

I'm sorry Mike, that is just dumb and dumb.
Cyclist almost never every kill or injure others if they are involved in an accident.
Motorists will almost certainly kill or severely injure vulnerable road users.
And that's an undisputed fact.

There was the bloke on Beach road who knocked down an elderly pedestrian crossing the road who subsequently died.
He got a good barrister who coached him in showing ""remorse" and played the trump card that the cyclist was training to be a lawyer and a conviction would prevent him from ever working in his chosen trade. The bloke on the bench swallowed it hook line and sinker and he got a slap on the wrist and about five minutes community service.
And you blokes think that motorists get off lightly!

Anyway the law is not ever going to change in Australia to provide more lenient sentences for traffic offences by cyclists because "they almost never ever kill or injure others if they are involved in an accident"

You blokes can carry on here until you go blind while I follow Victor into recess.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

fixie

Postby fixie » Sat 20 Mar 2021, 6:34 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:

--- Victor.

Mike

I have been out of range for a while. I see some things don't change!!!

Kinetic energy is just that. Movement energy to be more english about it.

The difference between the energy of an 85kg cyclist and a 2000 kg car travelling at the same speed is 23.5 times, for those who may be short on the physics, the car has more energy. A 10 tonne truck has 5 times the energy of the car and is 117 .5 times that of the cyclist. Consider the same truck moving at 50 kmh and the ratio becomes 470 times. It is the kinetic energy which provides the force in any kind of collision. It means that the person who is in control of the greater energy can do much more damage and has the greater responsibility in my view. AT least they should be aware of the care they need to exercise. And their greater potential to do harm. If you want a graphic illustration, just think of the Whitehall Street accident a few years ago when the left turning truck took out and killed the right turning cyclist at the intersection with Somerville Road. I do not think that the truck driver was even aware of the accident at the time.

I do hope that you are not criticising the legal profession for doing their job in defending or advocating for the gentleman who collided with the pedestrian on Beach Road. We all have to make a living, and as a cyclist I have been the recipient of much help and advocacy from professional lawyers.

What entitles you to tell Victor to take his ball and go home? I liked his balls.

We need to show more respect and tolerance without tolerating bigotry and bullying on this forum. My opinion.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Return to “Cycling discussion”