How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 6:59 pm

^ I miss 25-30 degrees with humidity :lol: I prefer that to 35-40 dry heat.

No rec ride for me today. With eased restrictions, we're back on for our 60km fundraiser team walk in mid May. So just shy of 20km walking with my team today, finishing at the Ricotta Festival at the cheese factory in Thomastown. Delicious ending to a pleasant 3+hr outing.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 01 Mar 2021, 11:39 am

Yesterday, son had a race in the vic interschools, round 3 at the tear-drop. They put him up a grade and it was hard going for him.
I did some laps of the Kew Boulevard when he wasn't racing, found it really hard to get the legs working for some reason.

I found it much easier this morning, for some reason, the power was back there. Back to working in the office 3 days a week, so only Monday and Friday pre WFH rides from now on.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 11 Mar 2021, 5:04 pm

My recreated ride was wonderful today. The trike and I made a loop from East Malvern to Jells Park on the Scotchman's Creek Trail, down Eastlink Trail to Carrum and then up Beach Road to St Kilda. The paths were almost completely empty, allowing me to stay off the brakes and let gravity do the talking as I plummeted down the hills. So much fun.

**EDIT** I spotted a peregrine falcon in my travels, who can plummet fast too. Speaking of fast I also saw a Ferrari - my ride was lower than theirs :P
Still posting. Still riding.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 12 Mar 2021, 9:40 am

Friend's work mate got pinged for 24 kph on Southbank Promenade today. Court summons.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 12 Mar 2021, 9:54 am

Claude Cat wrote:Friend's work mate got pinged for 24 kph on Southbank Promenade today. Court summons.

Some people think that the rules do not apply to them.
Hope they make an example of him.

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 12 Mar 2021, 10:20 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Friend's work mate got pinged for 24 kph on Southbank Promenade today. Court summons.

Mike

I'd be happier if took a stronger line on drivers who drive killing machines on the road. They almost never get pinged, never get summoned.
This "operation" on the Southbank Promenade is a massive overreaction. I've not heard of any significant incidents there.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 12 Mar 2021, 10:52 am

Claude Cat wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

I'd be happier if took a stronger line on drivers who drive killing machines on the road. They almost never get pinged, never get summoned.
This "operation" on the Southbank Promenade is a massive overreaction. I've not heard of any significant incidents there.

There really should be a safe cycling alternative to the Promenade away from high density ped use along both sides of the river.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 12 Mar 2021, 1:15 pm

Canuck wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

There really should be a safe cycling alternative to the Promenade away from high density ped use along both sides of the river.

Amen to that!
Pretty ridiculous that City Road is the only alternative.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 16 Mar 2021, 8:04 am

3AW today:
" More than 100 cyclists, electric bike and scooter riders have been nabbed speeding by police during a three-week crackdown in Southbank".

Obviously the news about the first bloke being caught did not get around!

Mike

victor

Postby victor » Tue 16 Mar 2021, 8:14 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

No, this is a clear example of anti-cyclist behaviour by the police. They should be focusing on the 1 tonne vehicles driven by inattentive (or just plain aggressive) drivers, not cyclists. But that's part of living in Australia, one of the most anti-cyclist countries in the world :( . Even the fines they're handing out are ridiculously disproportionate, with a recent news article (https://www.news.com.au/technology/spee ... 35a9c54ae6) saying cyclists could be fined up to $1650, which is just wrong, as this page clearly shows: https://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au ... rit-points .

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 16 Mar 2021, 5:11 pm

victor wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

No, this is a clear example of anti-cyclist behaviour by the police. They should be focusing on the 1 tonne vehicles driven by inattentive (or just plain aggressive) drivers, not cyclists. But that's part of living in Australia, one of the most anti-cyclist countries in the world :( . Even the fines they're handing out are ridiculously disproportionate, with a recent news article (https://www.news.com.au/technology/spee ... 35a9c54ae6) saying cyclists could be fined up to $1650, which is just wrong, as this page clearly shows: https://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov.au ... rit-points .

Victor, do you consider red light cameras and speed cameras to be anti motorist behaviour by the police?
25km/h in a 10km/h zone is equivalent to a motorist doing 150km/h in a 60km/h zone and the penalties should be similar.

Now get off your high horse!

Mike

victor

Postby victor » Tue 16 Mar 2021, 8:05 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:
victor wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

Victor, do you consider red light cameras and speed cameras to be anti motorist behaviour by the police?
25km/h in a 10km/h zone is equivalent to a motorist doing 150km/h in a 60km/h zone and the penalties should be similar.

Mike

Did you read the Vic govt page I linked? Look at the penalty amounts on that, then try to tell me the government is treating cyclists fairly. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of it. Australia should try to learn from other countries with much higher cyclist participation rates, and stop pretending it's the only country in the world that's "getting it right". :roll:

"25km/h in a 10km/h zone is equivalent to a motorist doing 150km/h in a 60km/h zone" --> no, they are not equivalent, consider kinetic energy. A car doing 150km/h has a great deal more destructive potential than a bicycle + rider doing 25km/h, and the penalties for speeding should reflect this, otherwise these penalties are inequitable.

By the way, quit the personal attacks, please, with the silly phrases such as "high horse", and debate the topic, not the person.

jvb

Postby jvb » Wed 17 Mar 2021, 8:54 am

I agree with Victor on this.
Al though doing 25km/h on the Southbank Blvd would be foolish, the fines are way over the top. Comparing it with a car or truck doing 150km/h in a 60km/h zone completely misses the point. What would you rather be hit by?

Either ban bicycles completely or provide a dedicated cycle lane.
By the way, I've never heard of pedestrians getting fined for walking in a bicycle lane which happens all the time. Who's at fault when they get hit by a cyclist going 30km/h?

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Wed 17 Mar 2021, 5:52 pm

victor wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:
victor wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

Mike

Did you read the Vic govt page I linked? Look at the penalty amounts on that, then try to tell me the government is treating cyclists fairly. I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of it. Australia should try to learn from other countries with much higher cyclist participation rates, and stop pretending it's the only country in the world that's "getting it right". :roll:

"25km/h in a 10km/h zone is equivalent to a motorist doing 150km/h in a 60km/h zone" --> no, they are not equivalent, consider kinetic energy. A car doing 150km/h has a great deal more destructive potential than a bicycle + rider doing 25km/h, and the penalties for speeding should reflect this, otherwise these penalties are inequitable.

By the way, quit the personal attacks, please, with the silly phrases such as "high horse", and debate the topic, not the person.

I don't know how much "kinetic energy" a 80kg rider travelling at 25km/h can generate but I do know that if the rider collided with a small child at that speed it would result in serious injury or even death.

I do not subscribe to the idea that because a bike can cause much less damage than a motor vehicle the penalties should be lower. 150% over the speed limit is 150% over the speed limit irrespective of the vehicle involved and a cyclist running a red light should receive the same penalty as a motor vehicle irrespective of the potential damage argument.

high horse. An attitude of moral superiority. If the cap fits wear it!

Posting here is not going to change anything, particularly given the current traffic on this site so get off your behind and lobby the politicians.

Mike

victor

Postby victor » Wed 17 Mar 2021, 7:36 pm

I've reached the limit of what rubbish I can tolerate from a certain forum member on this forum, so I'm out. Best wishes to those who were supportive and friendly.

--- Victor.

Return to “Cycling discussion”