How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Thu 28 Jan 2021, 8:32 pm

Awwww, not today: just getting the feels from FB 'On this day' flashbacks to doing a triple Buffalo in 2013 when the Alpine was on fire....
I still remember laying in bed in Bright the night before the ride. Window open. Some softly falling rain had made everything smell like damp campfire.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 31 Jan 2021, 4:02 pm

Busy today. I planned an Elwood to Mordi return, but due to event road closures I decided to continue down to Safety Beach. This gave me the benefit of open roads by the time I returned to the charity event triathlon zone. Outside the event zone, the roads were chock a block with cars, somewhat inexplicably given the absence of anything interesting happening on a Sunday morning in Melbourne. I love descending around corners on the trike, the hard part is gaining the altitude initially required.

Kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 31 Jan 2021, 8:23 pm

Did an out and back Craigieburn by path on Saturday. No scorching sun, no horror headwind. Few other riders, couple dog walkers, no runners.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 04 Feb 2021, 12:33 pm

Yesterday...
Mid-morning ride 10:30-ish start: Home to Eltham, Diamond Creek trail to Diamond Creek, Broadgully Road to the "back of Hurstbridge", Bannons Rd North to Nutfield, (Half-way point) Arthurs Creek Rd into Hurstbridge, then back to Diamond Creek, Eltham and home. 42 km, 2 hours 30 minutes, average speed 17 kph.

Highlights:
Trike ran like a dream after a minor retune of the rear derailleur on Monday. Shared path Eltham to Diamond Creek reasonably quiet both ways now school holidays are over. Passed by a roadie going up the Broadgully Road climb out of Diamond Creek like I was dragging an anchor chain....Minimal traffic on the back roads before heading into Hurstbridge. Sighted a pair of wedgetails "patrolling" in one of the gullies at Nutfield, pulled over to watch them effortlessly ride a thermal over the ridge. Just a really enjoyable day's ride.

Cheers
Trikester
Alan

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 14 Feb 2021, 3:46 pm

About 19-20ish km with the Boy to a park and back.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 14 Feb 2021, 5:50 pm

Did the local 5km work out. There was 50 or more on the Hawthorn velo this morning.
Older son went out this afternoon and said the local trails where mayhem, and the velo was just as busy as it was this morning.
Youngest wants to do the early am ride with me tomorrow before (remote) schooling. Lets see how that goes.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 16 Feb 2021, 4:02 pm

Too much online meeting this morning, so split the day in two with a midday outing with the Boy to get him moving out of the house.

Two hours afforded a 11km ride all up, time to play and to eat at the park.

Lovely weather, people out and about but nothing crazy.

The Boy is practising getting up out of the saddle to 'fly' down small hills. He handles all the hills up and down on our usual routes now - I knew gearing would be the key. Disc brakes help, too...

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 17 Feb 2021, 1:16 pm

Forgot: yesterday while at the park mid-ride, we found a rather decent rear light. It was in a random spot, no bikes around.

I'm assuming this is now the Boy's new light, because how in the world to find the owner....

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:54 am

Fun. First time out on the trike in 18 days, but what a cracker of a morning it was. I rode the GCT, then turned onto the MYT to take me out to Westerfolds. After a lap around the park I took the MYT back to the Outer Circle Trail and then the Anniversary Trail. I love how the trike handles the corners - the dynamics are quite different to a bike and being so low to the ground gives it a go-kart feel. Trails were mostly deserted so I had plenty of opportunity to let it rip. Legs felt good the whole way, but it is not a long ride and mostly flat so not much of a fitness test.

I found a tree
Kichizi kama ndizi

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 1:12 pm

Back out to the Boulies at 6am after the 5km limit revoked.
Boy was the traffic so much heavier than the last few days.
Warm and misty in parts, Kew Boulevard was very busy with cyclists this morning. Not so many on the Yarra Boulevard in Richmond.
A few reps up the burgs in Hawthorn to finish the workout, an nice 2 hours spent.

Heather

Postby Heather » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:46 pm

Awesome night for an evening ride into North Melbourne for dinner. Loved riding home on a balmy evening up Sydney Road...in a frock!!
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 10:49 pm

Noice!!! ^

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 20 Feb 2021, 12:57 pm

A ripper of a ride this morning. Took the trike around a loop from Anniversary, Outer Circle, Darebin Creek, M80 and Merri Creek trails, with a return through the CBD and St Kilda Rd. Dry, sunny and no wind to start the day, which progressively became more overcast until it started raining on the return leg through Fitzroy. No mind, the fast and flowing corners descending the Merri Creek trail were well worth it. The trails were not too crowded but I did encounter a few Orwellian roadies out and about. What are they teaching people in schools? 1984 was supposed to be a warning against oppression, not a how to manual.
Kichizi kama ndizi

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 25 Feb 2021, 9:38 am

Mornings are starting to get cold.
Might have to dust off some warmer gear.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 28 Feb 2021, 6:29 pm

It is very humid in downtown Labrador, Qld at present.
Temperatures range from 20 to 30 day in, day out.
The humidity is the killer.

Frosty.

Return to “Cycling discussion”