How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Matt1

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Matt1 » Thu 31 Dec 2020, 11:18 am

It was refreshing. I rode the bent from East Malvern station along the Scotchmans Creek Trail to Jells Park. I had forgotten how much remnant bushland lines this trail and found it very pleasant to reconnect with nature. The rain held off and it was fairly cool which encouraged me to ride a little faster to keep warm. The trail has lots of fun dips and corners to practice manoeuvring the trike, keeping me engaged in the ride and not daydreaming too much. Last ride for the year, glad it was a good one.
Still posting. Still riding.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 03 Jan 2021, 1:52 pm

Today's ride was cloudy and warm.

Goosey Lucy and mates were not happy, being Sunday, they are not let out but they still queued up.

Peter Peacock in full plume.

At 7:30am, Seaworld's carpark is rather empty except for the workers.

Gold Coast weather is not always brilliant. Today is cloudy but still in the 20s.
At Narrowneck, looking towards Surfers.

Today's ride details: http://www.frostysaussieadventures.com/Bike-Routes/Bike-202008-my-rides.html#ride202102

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 07 Jan 2021, 12:31 pm

Restorative. Just a short trip down Beach Road to Mordialloc and then back to St Kilda. The warm, sunny weather felt appropriate for summer, unlike the last seven days. A mild headwind on the way out resulted in a rewarding tail wind for the return leg. I was looking forward to relaxing in front of the TV to watch the cricket but it appears to be delayed by rain for now.
Still posting. Still riding.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 08 Jan 2021, 4:23 pm

Beautiful day for it!

The Boy and I covered about 19km all up, with a couple stops. We rode to Bundoora Park, ate, played, hiked around. Then rode back to another park for a second play. Then home again, home again, jiggity jig.

As per the post on Commute thread, we went down the sharp pinch with a corner at the bottom... And he did it today. Second time ever, first time on the new bike. He's suddenly more comfortable, and did everything today that he usually begs off other times. He's practising riding up out of the saddle, and using his gears well.

Lots of room for improvement in skills, but loving it. And so am I...

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 09 Jan 2021, 5:07 pm

Great report, Canuck. Your boy is going very well.
My grandson is now 6yo and hasn't ridden his bike for 12 months. So be it.
He is into computers and is very advanced.

This photo was taken today at the Muriel Henchman Park between The Spit and Seaworld.
I was sitting down, watching the 'water' world go bye and bloody hell, Aquaduck, who I used to see twice daily but because of the virus etc,. He was Missing In Action.
The bugger came into view and to really excite me, he drove up the boat ramp that I was next too.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Sat 09 Jan 2021, 6:08 pm

^^^^
Nice shot Frosty. My dear departed dad was a "Duck" driver at one stage just after WW2, used the Duck when the Army was called in to help with flooding around Port Fairy sometime in the immediate aftermath of the war, and before he was "de-mobbed". There's a grainy black and white photo of the Duck with the rest of Dad's crew, stored somewhere in family memorabilia. If I recall, the Army Duck didn't quite have the livery of the Gold Coast version..... ;)

Cheers

Alan
Trikester
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 09 Jan 2021, 8:25 pm

Alan,
I think you could be right about the Army Duck livery.
A bit less standout ish. :) :) :) :) :)
Frosty

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Mon 11 Jan 2021, 5:51 pm

This photo was taken today at MacIntosh island where the Supercars will race this year.
It shows Goosey Lucy and all 12 mates (13 in total), just taking it easy. They weren't greatly fussed that they were sitting on 'my' path.
It's Ok Guys... I will ride around you. Don't get up, don't put yourselves out. They didn't.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 16 Jan 2021, 9:20 pm

Short 13km ride with The Boy on Thursday, exploring the DCT to the north. His confidence and riding has changed recently.

4km run for me today but nursing a foot/ankle issue (guessing tendon) that's not been responding to much, so not doing much, waiting for assessment. Later went to a kids park in Heidelberg near the MYT - going to go on some bike reconnaissance trips myself to figure out the best route to ride down that way with The Boy.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 17 Jan 2021, 8:45 am

Canuck wrote:Short 13km ride with The Boy on Thursday, exploring the DCT to the north. His confidence and riding has changed recently.

4km run for me today but nursing a foot/ankle issue (guessing tendon) that's not been responding to much, so not doing much, waiting for assessment. Later went to a kids park in Heidelberg near the MYT - going to go on some bike reconnaissance trips myself to figure out the best route to ride down that way with The Boy.

:)

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 17 Jan 2021, 1:35 pm

Bike reconnaissance trip #1 : took DCT south as far as the Eastern, then MYT to the east. Total of 28km to the park we're aiming for, so I think he can do it, with appropriate stops and snacks. He'll likely want to walk up /down parts of a few hills. Then he can get a drive home while I ride home.

Now to just fit it in before end of school holidays,along with a ton of other things on the list!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 22 Jan 2021, 2:51 pm

Just a short 11km to get to and from a park to play before it got too hot. I think the Boy is def ready for some longer explorations. I just need to sort out the logistics, esp when we need a car to do rides. Juggle, juggle. Also going to have to squeeze them into weekends as holidays come to an end.

Today he asked to go home by a side route. Side route, aka, the road. But it was too busy a space, so I refused. He’s done some quiet residential streets, but mainly shared paths. Time to ramp up the road safety riding skills.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 24 Jan 2021, 11:39 am

Down Philip Island for an extra long weekend.
Enjoying the nice weather to further explore South Gippsland hills. It is rather pretty and pleasant riding down where.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Mon 25 Jan 2021, 12:34 pm

Claude Cat wrote:Down Philip Island for an extra long weekend.
Enjoying the nice weather to further explore South Gippsland hills. It is rather pretty and pleasant riding down where.

Nice photo.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 25 Jan 2021, 4:13 pm

Frosty wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Down Philip Island for an extra long weekend.

Nice photo.

Thanks Frosty.
Another day exploring the hills. It was very warm first up, glad I got out early.

Return to “Cycling discussion”