How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Sun 31 May 2020, 5:22 pm

Boy's first actual 'ride' out from home. Fourth actual two wheeler ride solo. The others were practice in a park.

We left from home and went to a shared path. Crossed one major road, out and back (and four minor crossings on foot) . A few hills, the biggest of which necessitated walking down and up, due more to confidence than ability, by my estimation. Soon, soon....

About 7.5km.

We'll be back... We had to oooo much fun :D

Heather

Postby Heather » Mon 01 Jun 2020, 8:25 am

Canuck wrote:Boy's first actual 'ride' out from home. Fourth actual two wheeler ride solo. The others were practice in a park.

We left from home and went to a shared path. Crossed one major road, out and back (and four minor crossings on foot) . A few hills, the biggest of which necessitated walking down and up, due more to confidence than ability, by my estimation. Soon, soon....

About 7.5km.

:D :D
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed 03 Jun 2020, 11:44 am

Canuck wrote:Boy's first actual 'ride' out from home. Fourth actual two wheeler ride solo. The others were practice in a park.

About 7.5km.

^^^^^^ Next there'll be kiddie lycra, pint-sized peleton... :lol:

Yesterday: First chance for a decent ride with the spiffy new Shimano hydraulic disks on the trike. Mid-Morning ride from home (Briar Hill) via the now much quieter Diamond Creek Trail to Diamond Creek then out to Hurstbridge, and return. 32 km all up. New brake system proved well worth the $ and effort to change over to hydraulic from cable operation.

Now if I can just get the same sort of improvement out of the power unit.... :D

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 04 Jun 2020, 6:02 pm

Now that I've worked out how to link messages out of Google Photos.....

The finished piece of work to fit the Shimano hydraulic disk unit, with the "Trike Tragic Precision Engineered" mounting plate the shiny bit at the top right of the image. Patents pending... :lol:

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 04 Jun 2020, 7:19 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:Image

Now that I've worked out how to link messages out of Google Photos.....

The finished piece of work to fit the Shimano hydraulic disk unit, with the "Trike Tragic Precision Engineered" mounting plate the shiny bit at the top right of the image. Patents pending... :lol:

Cheers

The photo link does not appear to work.
Still posting. Still riding.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Fri 05 Jun 2020, 7:07 am

Matt1 wrote:
TrikeTragic wrote:
The photo link does not appear to work.

Abject apologies....Of course it shows up fine on my PC. Link is from Google photos, first time I've tried sharing from there.

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Fri 05 Jun 2020, 7:37 am

Alan had emailed me his photos.

Photo 1.

Photo 2.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 06 Jun 2020, 1:58 pm

Boy's longest ride solo today. 11km. It was an out and back to a park. Spent a couple of hours at the park before the return.

He's still learning how to control braking, but went down two long hills he was too scared to descend the last rec ride. He's not geared to get up hills, so we either get up as much momentum as possible or we then get off and push the bike up the rest.

Looking to get him better options once he's riding confidently on the cheapie secondhand learner bike. And waiting for another growth spurt... :? :lol:

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 06 Jun 2020, 2:25 pm

Canuck wrote:Boy's longest ride solo today. 11km. It was an out and back to a park. Spent a couple of hours at the park before the return.

He's still learning how to control braking, but went down two long hills he was too scared to descend the last rec ride. He's not geared to get up hills, so we either get up as much momentum as possible or we then get off and push the bike up the rest.

Looking to get him better options once he's riding confidently on the cheapie secondhand learner bike. And waiting for another growth spurt... :? :lol:

It's great watching them develop and grow and get more confident with their riding.
Frosty.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 06 Jun 2020, 2:30 pm

Being the weekend, the shared paths are crowded.
Today's highlight was: the joy of riding in a beautiful, sunny day with a light breeze.
Today's lowlight was: just missing seeing the baby green tree snake crossing the gravel path.

Today's strava details.
https://www.strava.com/activities/3569917478

The 'Black Diamond' sailing through the seaway to the Coral Sea.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon 08 Jun 2020, 11:57 am

Last night:
Late afternoon / evening ride via Elthan and Diamond Creek, Broadgully Rd then Bannons lane to Hurstbridge. Return back though Diamond Creek and the shared path to Eltham. 35 km all up, 2 hours 20 minutes.

The Diamond Creek Trail on the outbound leg medium busy with walkers etc, not nearly so busy as mornings though. Broadgully Rd hills haven't lost any elevation in the last week, and some vehicle traffic both ways. The Bannons Lane downhill blast (only fair compensation for the long, slow & steady climbs...) saw a touch over 60 kph and a windblown TrikeTragic grin all the way down. :)

Return leg from Hurstbridge: Very coarse hot mix for the first couple of km out of the township heading south - you notice such things when you're only a metre or so off the surface! Diamond Creek - Eltham shared path was much quieter by around 6 pm, sensible people tucked up at home ready for Sunday dinner.... Passed near Eltham by a cyclist with a bright headlight I picked up in the mirror from way back, received a friendly "Hi, howareya" as he went past at knots and he got a "Great thanks mate" reply to his disappearing tail light!

Great way to work up an appetite for that Sunday dinner.

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Mon 08 Jun 2020, 12:54 pm

TrikeTragic wrote:snip,snip.

Good read. :D

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 08 Jun 2020, 8:41 pm

Not as interesting a read as TT's above...
Rode 25km to Hay's Paddock to meet up with the Boy and extended family for a trip to the Far Kew family mini gathering - first since..... Months....

Boy got to ride with older cousins, and is finding a need for speed that currently outstrips his braking skills :roll:

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed 10 Jun 2020, 10:12 am

Last night - evening ride starting around 4 pm.
From home (Briar Hill) road trip via Montmorency, to the Viewbank shared path on then the Main Yarra Trail (MYT) to Heidelberg. Return along MYT to Westerfolds Park, Eltham then home. About 35 km all up, 2 hours 23 minutes and average moving speed touch over 15 kph.

This was ride no. 4 after the upgrade of the disk brakes, and I'm loving the improvement in brake feel and power compared to the "old" Zoom cable units. Double acting calipers and much greater pad area will do that. ;)

Traffic on the roads still relatively quiet for peak time, well at least until the last 20 minutes or so from laving the Diamond Creek trail at Eltham. Only one stupid horn blast from a 4WD ute towing a trailer. Funny how you can tell the difference between a friendly toot (as in, "You're riding something unusual so I'll give you a hello beep") and a stoopid blast (as in "You're riding something unusual, so I'll just see if I can frighten the bejeesus out of you because I'm not capable of processing anything else"). The second gets a middle finger response. :roll:

Some pedestrian traffic on the shared paths, and the beginnings of some commuting cyclists, mostly outward bound from the city. Darkness well and truly set in by the return from Heidelberg, so walkers and joggers were lit by my helmet light in plenty of time to give an approach warning and then passing room. Passed by several serious commuters on bikes, decent lights, reflective gear and several gave a friendly "Hi" as they rolled past knots above my rate.

Really enjoyable late afternoon / evening ride, legs felt well "stretched", body well and truly ready for dinner! :D

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 10 Jun 2020, 3:41 pm

Good on ya, Canuck and Alan.

Return to “Cycling discussion”