How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Heather

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Heather » Thu 21 May 2020, 8:03 am

Canuck wrote:Even the one leading to an abrupt dead-end...... :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :roll:

Canuck wrote:I was tired. Boy hit bed at 7:30pm and pretty sure he was asleep at 7:31pm.... :lol:
:lol:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 24 May 2020, 1:55 pm

You need to sit to read this, otherwise you may fall over. :)

Today's ride:
I left at 6:30am to meet up with Simon (we both used to live in Melbourne). Due to an unforeseen episode, Simon couldn't ride so I rode anyway.

Bear in mind that I have now lived on the Gold Coast for over 2 years after moving from Mordialloc.

When I got up, I checked the BOM it was 11deg with an apparent of 6.5deg. Shock, horror. It is not shorts and cycling top weather.
Did I bring my cycling tights to Qld, if so, where the hell did I put them, as I don't think that I have worn them yet.
FOUND: They were in amongst a 100 short sleeve cycling tops.
Legs now taken care of. What about my chest. I remembered that I gave my son my nice warm cycling jacket. I could wear my spray jacket but I would look like a 'dick'. Problem solved: I wore 2 long sleeve cycling tops.
Out riding I thought I was back riding my old Mordy to Station Pier route in winter.
A beautiful crisp morning - sunny with a gentle breeze. I had forgotten what a beautiful crisp morning is, they are as rare as hens teeth up here.

At the Spit the sets were rolling in and there were surfers all along my ride from Surfers to the Spit. check out the waves. very nice.

You can stand up now... Frosty.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 24 May 2020, 6:33 pm

Nice photos Frosty!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 24 May 2020, 9:04 pm

Claude Cat wrote:Nice photos Frosty!

+1

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon 25 May 2020, 5:30 pm

Would have been warmer in the water ! :lol:
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Tue 26 May 2020, 2:16 pm

cyclotaur wrote:Would have been warmer in the water ! :lol:

I asked the surfers this morning and they said the water temp is about 22deg. I haven't been in their yet...

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Tue 26 May 2020, 2:21 pm

The highlight so far this year was:

The sighting and photographing a baby whale about 150 meters off the end of The Spit.

Absolutely magnificent.

The annual whale migration has already started.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 26 May 2020, 8:11 pm

Awesome, thanks, Frosty :)

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Tue 26 May 2020, 9:18 pm

Thank you for sharing, Frosty. I always found it difficult to take photos of the whales, never knowing where and when they are going to surface next.
Still posting. Still riding.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 27 May 2020, 3:48 pm

Matt1 wrote:Thank you for sharing, Frosty. I always found it difficult to take photos of the whales, never knowing where and when they are going to surface next.

Yeah, tell me about it, Matt. :D

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Thu 28 May 2020, 5:54 pm

Not much good since last Tuesday....Trike is now (gulp) 14 years old, and chewed out the second set of pads of its original equipment Zoom disks. :cry:

Wednesday trip to my LBS (Marcus at Walkers Wheels Montmorency, thoroughly recommended) and discussion about possible replacement options. Zoom disk pads like hens teeth to get, with long delays for delivery, if they can be got at all. Not ideal. We settled on Shimano disks with upgrade to hydraulic (from cable) as a start point. Walked away with one disk unit an adaptor mount to try out.

First lot of fiddling with right hand disk - adaptor unit does the trick! Then look at removing the old cable brake handles....The bar end shifters just didn't want to cooperate - couldn't get the brake handles around them, so snapped the handles off by braking the cast clamps.

Second lot of fiddling - the left hand disk. Shimano doesn't make a mirror image caliper unit, dammit. So I see Marcus, come away with a second disk brake unit with a view to engineer (I use that term loosely..) my own adaptor frame so the caliper unit can be fitted with the hydraulic tube exiting rearwards. Marcus had to order in another adaptor mount in any case, allowing me some time to create the new mount frame.

A few trips to Bunnings ensued for some aluminum strap and M5 and M6 bolts etc, then several attempts to create a simple and strong frame. Eventually, the simplest solution worked - fit a piece of strap to the mudguard mount drilled and shaped to fit the top / rear mount of the adaptor plate, with the bottom/front using the front mounting point of the original setup. Quick wheel spin and grip squeeze to test - all good!

Brake handles drilled and bolted to the steering handles of the trike, and spiffy new bar tape wrapped onto the handles. Very minor task to route the hydraulic hoses from the brake handles to the caliper units using the steering rods, with care to make sure there's enough "slack" to allow front wheels to turn lock to lock, and to keep the hoses clear of the chain and the idler puller directly under the seat.

Collected the second Shimano adaptor plate from Marcus at Walkers Wheels this afternoon, fitted it to the right front wheel hub and then mounted the caliper unit. Adjust and then lock down - all done. :)

Just a driveway test so far, the initial impression is there is far better braking than the original Zoom cable disks. A full confirmation ride tomorrow (Friday).

Cheers
BentCyclist
Alan

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Thu 28 May 2020, 8:09 pm

Good luck, Alan.
Post a photo or two of your work.
Frosty.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 28 May 2020, 8:40 pm

Good luck with the trial ride, TT

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 28 May 2020, 9:04 pm

Sounds like fun TT.
Now you will have the joy of bleeding hydraulic brake systems!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 30 May 2020, 4:56 pm

Just a short out and back on the MTB to meet up with OH and the Boy at a park.

We set up the Boy's obstacle course stuff on a field after doing some scooter riding. 50m dash on the grass with a few mini hurdles in 13 seconds and change.

He was sad he wasn't riding home with me. I need to make him ride out there with me next time.

Return to “Cycling discussion”