How was your recreational ride today?

Chat about anything two-wheeled (or one or three) or generally relating to Bicycle Network.
Canuck

Re: How was your recreational ride today?

Postby Canuck » Sat 16 May 2020, 9:32 pm

Second day Boy riding two wheels:

Hit the park again. He was furious to have me help him, so I had to completely stay away except for the one corner....

He rode the 500-600m circuit around the field (concrete path) - by himself for a good 30-40 minutes.

But one corner kept testing him - he said he couldn't turn, but it was more he wouldn't cross the tan bark - insisted on slowing excessively to try to take the silly sharp concrete corner, plus pedal slightly uphill.

He rides on his own, gets annoyed by help. I ran on the oval and watched from a distance, hoping he wouldn't collide with others as they passed at random times.

Gotta find some other easy riding areas, take my MTB and just have him follow....

Planned outing again tomorrow.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 17 May 2020, 12:43 pm

Fresh morning, but glorious weather for a ride in the NE.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 17 May 2020, 3:36 pm

A windy morning at The Spit today.

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun 17 May 2020, 5:08 pm

I have been predominatly sticking to bike paths the last 6 weeks or so. Today was my 17th 'bike path pootle', as I've been calling them on Strava.
Just beautiful out today :D

Check out the city ^^^
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sun 17 May 2020, 6:03 pm

Heather,

Beautiful photos. Top one is stunning.

Frosty.

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Sun 17 May 2020, 9:10 pm

Apart from a few casual rides in mid-April, have used the WFH arrangement to have a break from riding. Couldn't stay totally idle though, so have been skipping rope in the backyard and going out running a few times a week instead. Felt like riding again on Friday so went out around the local streets on the fixed gear for half an hour on Friday. Nice day for it and the ride really perked me up for the rest of the afternoon.

Tried the nearby shared trails through the wetlands and along the Patterson River yesterday. OMG it was so busy that I felt like I was in a video game - people riding, walking, running, phone zombieing, randomly stopping in the middle of the trail, dogs, prams, toddlers, you name it :shock:

Was much quieter out past the National Water Sports Centre and beyond though, which was nice. Will have to choose my time a bit more carefully if/when I go out there again. All in all it was still fun and it did feel good to be back on the bike :)

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun 17 May 2020, 11:11 pm

Frosty wrote:Heather,

Beautiful photos. Top one is stunning.

Frosty.

Thanks Frosty. :-) Top photo is in the ring road bike path, which you would not really call stunning scenery :mrgreen:

Heather

Postby Heather » Sun 17 May 2020, 11:13 pm

Eddy Pla wrote:Tried the nearby shared trails through the wetlands and along the Patterson River yesterday. OMG it was so busy that I felt like I was in a video game - people riding, walking, running, phone zombieing, randomly stopping in the middle of the trail, dogs, prams, toddlers, you name it :shock:

I have picked the boring bike paths on the weekends, and the interesting, scenic ones mid-week...less people about during the week :-)

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Sun 17 May 2020, 11:22 pm

Heather wrote:
Eddy Pla wrote:Tried the nearby shared trails through the wetlands and along the Patterson River yesterday. OMG it was so busy that I felt like I was in a video game - people riding, walking, running, phone zombieing, randomly stopping in the middle of the trail, dogs, prams, toddlers, you name it :shock:

I have picked the boring bike paths on the weekends, and the interesting, scenic ones mid-week...less people about during the week :-)

Still heaps more than 2 months ago, I've been underemployed since the start of the year, outbound in the eastern freeway you would see half a dozen people in a 40 km out and back midday midweek, now its dozens per km!
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Mon 18 May 2020, 6:54 pm

Heather wrote:

Sounds like a good idea Heather, thanks for the tip :)

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Mon 18 May 2020, 6:56 pm

PiledHigher wrote:
Heather wrote:

Still heaps more than 2 months ago, I've been underemployed since the start of the year, outbound in the eastern freeway you would see half a dozen people in a 40 km out and back midday midweek, now its dozens per km!

Yep, there has definitely been a huge increase in the number of recreational cyclists during the lockdown. I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to the paths and trails though as the bulk of my cycling is usually done on the roads.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Tue 19 May 2020, 5:07 pm

Today's ride was my 600th ride to the Gold Coast Spit,
my first ride was back on Wednesday 5th August 2009.

But who keeps records. Only this old fart. :D
BTW, my 600 rides to the Spit included riding 24,015.31kms.

My usual photos from The Spit. Today it threaten to rain but didn't. We do need a few good downpours. It is pretty dry up here.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 19 May 2020, 8:39 pm

^ nice record, Frosty!

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Wed 20 May 2020, 7:55 am

Canuck wrote:^ nice record, Frosty!

thanks Canuck.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 20 May 2020, 9:56 pm

The tagalong plus Boy felt heavier today somehow... 26km mid to late afternoon in sunshine, bit windy. Some hills and sharp pinches..... Even the one leading to an abrupt dead-end...... :mrgreen:

I was tired. Boy hit bed at 7:30pm and pretty sure he was asleep at 7:31pm.... :lol:

Return to “Cycling discussion”